Author Topic: PRESEASON OVER TH.G.  (Read 3439 times)

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
PRESEASON OVER TH.G.
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
MAYBE the worst preseason I have seen, only    one game to get excited about (MANSFIELD).
11 games 20 goals conceeded 1 clean sheet I believe, (worrying)
its a good job were away on sat. and hopefully come back with a point or more.
IT was a poor performance on sat.you can say we had 2or 3 key players missing but at this stage we should still be able to put out a decent side.  GAINSBOROUGH had player problems but still put out an eye catching side.
hopefully now we can get on with our leage and hope our players give us a real treet next home game.(good luck to all)

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: PRESEASON OVER TH.G.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
Was a bit of a rubbish pre-season but it doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things, we've had brilliant pre-seasons before but have been tripe sandwiches in the games that matter.

I'm expecting about 7-8th, but hoping for the top 5.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:05:51 PM »
7th or 8th would be acceptable if there were signs of progress for the following season.

However a position more like 10th-14th is more likely.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Was a bit of a rubbish pre-season but it doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things, we've had brilliant pre-seasons before but have been tripe sandwiches in the games that matter.

I agree, had we won every game I'm sure the moaners would've been on saying pre season means nothing.  The fact is their are many factors that can affect pre season results such as trialist, teams gelling, trying out new formations, lots of substitutions, trying out youngsters etc, etc. Theirs also an argument that you learn more in defeat than by winning all your games 5-0.

My personal opinion is that clearly some results have been poor so there are definitely areas which require work, however we've also shown on occasions that we can really perform.  The truth is however, none of it matters until this Saturday and that will be the point at which we should begin forming our opinions.  After a period of 10-20 games we'll be in a good position to judge whether or not the club, manager and players have got things right.

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
clearly some results have been poor so there are definitely areas which require work, however we've also shown on occasions that we can really perform.

Is that a comment on pre-season or the last 2 seasons? 
I think this will be a very tough division this season - more than half the teams are potential challengers for promotion places, so we need a good start and a bit of consistency. 
I haven't seen any pre-season games, so can only go by the limited reports available, but it seems that we started pretty well, then tailed off as we probably played too many games for such a small squad.
Whatever happens in pre-season, at this time of year you have to be optimistic, so I'm looking forward to Stockport.  Same start as last year would do nicely!

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »

I agree, had we won every game I'm sure the moaners would've been on saying pre season means nothing.  The fact is their are many factors that can affect pre season results such as trialist, teams gelling, trying out new formations, lots of substitutions, trying out youngsters etc, etc. Theirs also an argument that you learn more in defeat than by winning all your games 5-0.

My personal opinion is that clearly some results have been poor so there are definitely areas which require work, however we've also shown on occasions that we can really perform.  The truth is however, none of it matters until this Saturday and that will be the point at which we should begin forming our opinions.  After a period of 10-20 games we'll be in a good position to judge whether or not the club, manager and players have got things right.

Post of the month well said Maxross, at last a bit of perspective.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR