Author Topic: ......BUFCs young guns........  (Read 9003 times)

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
......BUFCs young guns........
« on: September 24, 2009, 06:33:36 PM »
...........reading a few posts recently which have been made since the Retford game at York Street,there has been some comments made by various Posters about some of our young players, and in particular Simon Ashton........Lets look at the situation realistically......SA came on,unexpectedly I would imagine,as an early substitute for one of our established central defenders......straight into the action in front of his hometown crowd and in a "big"(at this level) midweek game.....Gosh! he must have been nervous-wouldnt you be?.......People around me were saying after the .game how well he had done......I think it was his home league debut for the Pilgrims......so it amazes and disappoints me to read some other Posters criticising the lad......Young players such as SA are the future of the club-we need to be encouraging them not discouraging them......sure they will make mistakes (everybody does sometimes) -its a learning curve......we dont want them suddenly quitting the club for pastures new when the club have spent time and money developing them......So when SA plays again,or indeed any of our other younger players, lets remember that they are just starting out in their careers and lets be positive and not negative about their contributions eh?..........

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: ......BUFCs young guns........
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
with all the injuries I guess he may start on Saturday.Also he will play at an higher level like his old man did!Apparently,he played a few times for Liverpool reserves in the early 80s alongside Rushy.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »
i fully agree, although i dont think its just negetivity about the young guns which is going i on around the ground

i just have a feeling at home that certain people are their just too have a moan , on tuesday our 2nd half peformance was very good i thought just unfortunate the bust up stopped our momentum and they nicked a goal when im sure if the bust up didn't happen it would of been us who would of nicked the goal we looked threatning and the crowd ( easpecially the TownEnd ) were getting behind the team & sensing a winner

then as soon as final whistle blew i walked through spayne rd to make my way too the tunnel and i heard quite a few shouts of ' YOUR NOT GOOD ENOUGH SORT IT OUT ! ' aimed at the players and ' GET THEM 2 OUT ! ' (S&H)  C'mon its september this league is very tight at the minute a good week or 2 can put you on the trail of top spot and few bad results your looking at a big drop in the table

its a long season , i honestly believe if were withing 6 pts of play-offs at christmas we have a genuine chance of a promotion push , this time last year all we was crying out for was a team that showed battle , and we've got that now its just a matter of getting results , so imo the best thing we can do is everyone get behind the team , because if not i fear this team may get ' stage fright '  of playing infront of the home support ,and none of us want that do we ?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:58:09 PM by Big-Tom »

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:56:22 PM »
Johnny I completely agree with your point. This happens with any youth player that makes his debut for every club around the country. Just think maybe the lads played regular football since say 10 years old and the 6 or 7 years of training and games played every injury or setback or piece of coaching is all put on the line in 1 appearance. Fair or not for 99% of the crowd it is their first chance to scrutinize someone.

First impressions and all that.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »
.....thanks for those responses......whether you are John Terry or Simon Ashton confidence is an essential part of a footballers game.....the last thing Boston United need is players who dont want to wear  the shirt cos they are weary of unconstructive comments from the terraces or or Posters on forums such as this........

Seenbetter

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:21:29 PM »
Can you tell me where to find all the negative comments that Simon Ashton has had. I'm not being funny or anything but I would just like to read them.

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 11:56:07 AM »
.........theres some on page 4 of the RETFORD match thread.......

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »
sorry that was me. didnt mean to upset or pick on anyone at the time but reading it again i can see your point of view.was still a bit peed off with the result i guess.im sure simon will go on to be a good player wherever he goes the point i was trying to make was we are very short of experienced cover at the moment  ::)

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
Interesting thread, and last season I started a thread very similiar but have since changed my view. If they cannot take the verbal at this stage of their devlopment then they will not make it as a professional footballer.

These kids are being trained to be professional sportsmen. From the age of 7yrs old they are training twice a week and playing at the highest level against teams like Forest, Norwich and Wigan.

Being fully focused on and off the pitch is a massive part of the development, they have just got to be professional and get on with the job or move onto something else.

Can you just imagine Manchester United coming in for one of our 16yr olds and John Blackwell saying "he'll come up for trials as long as you tell your fans not to get on to him, he might get upset".

Lets get in the real world.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:42:43 PM by qwerty »

Seenbetter

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
Just to say thanks Johny Pilgrim.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
 In an ideal world our  raw , young debutantes ? (they're bringing them back u know  ) should be left alone for 2 0r 3 matches .. home or away
  But we don t live in an ideal world..

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
Some of us rush postings  without giving it enough thought , in this case credit to Deano for showing remorse.  I stood on the Spayne terrace renowned for its capability to ruin the confidence of home defenders , but on Tuesday night did not hear a murmur of criticism against Simon Ashton . Disagree with Qwerty on the verbal issue , i have found in any trade i have worked in it only reduces moral whereas encouragement mostly lifts the performance level.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »
Disagree with Qwerty on the verbal issue , i have found in any trade i have worked in it only reduces moral whereas encouragement mostly lifts the performance level.

I agree that positive encouragement is benificial, and that's what these kids are getting from all the coaches at all age groups, but what I'm saying is if the player cannot take the verbal from the fans, home or away fans, he isn't going to make a professional footballer, It's part of the job and thats one reason why they get paid so much, to be totally professional.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 07:42:43 PM »
Agree seasoned pro,s may have to take a bit of stick Qwerty but subjecting young lads who do not get  big wages is not the ideal way to bring the best out of them.  Saying the kids get encouragement from the coaches tells me that it would be better for the lads futures and the teams performance if we the fans did the same.

Bartmac

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »
Heck, I think the lad is only 17 years old, give him a chance!!!!!!! >:(