Author Topic: Plans for new ground  (Read 10280 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Plans for new ground
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
Agreed..ground on Skegness side would be a logistics disaster ..
  And 4500 with expansion to 45000 seems about right !
[/quot   

Do you think 45000 would be big enough ft? ;)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
Some really good posts on this one folks. Good one SB. I think the best area for the new ground would be around the athletics stadium off Sleaford road. The opposing teams and fans wouldn't have to do battle with John Adams Way and the town. Also would cut out any troublemakers from disturbances in the town.Also most people using hotels ( ie: salesmen and travellers ) if a hotel is incorporated, come from that side of town, making it easy to get in and out of this area. :bunny  The downside of a ground on the Skegness side of town is the traffic problems getting to and from the ground again because of John Adams Way. :bunny

Might be a location chosen that suits SB better than those two options . :-X

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »
Well we may not make an Ipswich or Hull set-up ..but one  like Colchester s ? may be worth aspiring to ..

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 10:07:35 AM »

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
car parking is one major issue. but what about those that do not drive and live out of town.  i myself travel in from spalding by bus and this new stadium should have either a current bus route which runs every half an hour , or if not we need to get matchday buses running from the bus station to wherever this may be built.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
Well we may not make an Ipswich or Hull set-up ..but one  like Colchester s ? may be worth aspiring to ..

There's very few new build save for Chester that have attracted the same level of negativity as Colchester's new stadium........its an appalling  stadium that lacks atmosphere and is in the middle of nowhere.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I was thinking of the scale of support possible Andy ..what model would you suggest?

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »

The point about access is very valid ...

I remember entering Rushden & Diamonds stadium for the very first time, and immediately admiring the place and thinking it would be nice to be able to watch Boston in that kind of setting every week. My opinion changed somewhat when I found myself still queueing to get out of the car park a full hour after the game had finished, and I decided it would be a nightmare to be playing there week in week out.

Speaking as someone who supports the club despite no longer living in Boston - and you only have to look at the names of some of the people posting on this forum to realise I am not alone - the ability to get into and out of any new stadium quickly and easily will be a key factor. If the club gets it wrong then there's a danger that some matches - midweek ones in particular - might be out of reach for those fans travelling from further afield.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »
I was thinking of the scale of support possible Andy ..what model would you suggest?

A pipe dream ft thinking we may need a 45000 capacity stadium .

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
Over the years having listened to the
"I'm not going till the Malkinsons have gone"
"I'm not going if Evans is still there"
"I'm not going till Evans comes back"
"I'm not going while were in this division"
"I'm not going because the entry is too much"
"I'm not going till they show some ambition"
"i'm not going as theres no where to park" (yes really!)
I can see the position of the new stadium giving loads yet another excuse NOT to go.:)

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
OK..I will settle for 44.500 . . 8)

Cavalier

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
For those inclined to moan about change of any sort I suggest the book "Who Moved My Cheese" by Dr Spencer Johnson.  Personally, moving to a new stadium will be less convenient for me but I'm already looking at the positives.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:30:56 PM by Cavalier »
United we stand..................

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
I can see the position of the new stadium giving loads yet another excuse NOT to go.:)

Not an excuse at all, but a valid concern. If you've got to travel 1-hour plus to get to and from a game then the ability to get away quickly afterwards is vital - particularly if you've got to be at work fairly early the next morning. You can't afford to be doubling your journey time by having to sit around in the car park before starting your journey home. A lot of the new grounds I've visited down the years only seen to have one route in and one route out of the car park. Rushden & Diamonds was one example, but Wycombe Wanderers is another. And Chester is yet another. You simply can't get away from the places afterwards. As well as the convenience factor you've also got to think about the safety angle. What would happen, for example, if you needed to get an ambulance into the stadium at precisely the time of a capacity crowd leaving it in the opposite direction? If there's only one route in and out then you've got a major problem on your hands.

Solution is undoubtedly to have a series of slip roads into the car park from different surrounding roads. But not sure any of the sites we're looking at will make that viable, or that we'll have the budget available to deliver that kind of layout.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:20:00 PM by leicester pilgrim »

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 09:29:46 PM »

Not an excuse at all, but a valid concern. If you've got to travel 1-hour plus to get to and from a game then the ability to get away quickly afterwards is vital - particularly if you've got to be at work fairly early the next morning. You can't afford to be doubling your journey time by having to sit around in the car park before starting your journey home. A lot of the new grounds I've visited down the years only seen to have one route in and one route out of the car park. Rushden & Diamonds was one example, but Wycombe Wanderers is another. And Chester is yet another. You simply can't get away from the places afterwards. As well as the convenience factor you've also got to think about the safety angle. What would happen, for example, if you needed to get an ambulance into the stadium at precisely the time of a capacity crowd leaving it in the opposite direction? If there's only one route in and out then you've got a major problem on your hands.

Solution is undoubtedly to have a series of slip roads into the car park from different surrounding roads. But not sure any of the sites we're looking at will make that viable, or that we'll have the budget available to deliver that kind of layout.
apoligies LP
the parking statement was in no way directed towards you!
it, along with the other statements were a broad generalisation of excuses for not going to games I've heard over the years.
in fact it was a guy from Skeg who was moaning about the parking!
Maybe if we do end up Skeg side he will be able to come! Drop his wife off at the garden centre while he is at the game.!
i have to agree about John Adams way being a nuisance (at best) BUT it will be for one group of people which ever side of town the stadium ends up on, unless all the supporters live on one side of the town.
Its going to be a difficult decision.................................

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
The whole thing relies on the local borough planning department giving the go ahead.
Maybe they should be invited to one of the home games so they can see what BUFC is all about...all above-board and strictly in accordance with planning regulations of course  :dan