Author Topic: report of tonights game  (Read 18813 times)

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: report of tonights game
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 10:44:45 PM »
Good to see Miller notch again.Hope Boston Standard do another interview with RM!

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »
I thought Spalding had a real go at us to start with and we conceded. After that we almost immediatley levelled it and and gradually took hold of the game, had a large majority of posession without creating too many clear cut chances.
For me Sanasra looked class,  composed on the ball, great movement and a good footballing brain.
All three centre backs that played look strong and solid and should do well.

It was a decent run out, also a mention for Reed, he had good feet and control and played well when he came on.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »
Missed Tuesday night, but I have to say was suitably impressed by some of the players on show last night against a very decent and organised Spalding. The centre of midfield and particularly the back four looked really strong which is a great plus considering our recent recruitment concerns.
The only thing that slightly disappointed me was the lack of chances created. Up to a point we knocked it about reasonably well, which was nice to see, but there was just a bit too much reliance on the lofted ball to Saunders who I have to say was well marshalled by of all people Stainsfield. But as friendlies go it was certainly a very good work out, and just what the lads needed.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »
Forgot to say how impressed I was with some of the Spalding team which surely cant be anywhere near representative of the UCL, a league in which surely they will run away with. I wonder what their odds are....can anyone find out?

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »
Fair assement B.Grimes. This is why I don't agree with people who say DG needs to sign a target man cos if we have big man too much temptation to lump it forward early. Much prefer seeing us play it on floor and in the channels for newsham,Fairclough,SWD and miller. Promising signs from all new signings.

BigRichT

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
Spalding were a good side, who dominated us in the early stages. They controled the midfield well and argueably had the better chances in the first half. Our midfield took a while to impose themselves upon the game, and were bypassed as we looked to relieve pressure on the back four.
Once we got a grip on the game it was only one way traffic from then on. Did not score the amount of goals, or carve out alot of chances but we dominated the game.

Back four looked stable, but unsure about Bore playing at right back. Good touches from Garner and Sensara has pace to burn, although he likes to keep the team shape when could be more effective going forward and pressing up the pitch.

Miller does what he does best (scoring), and has that striker's mentality of keeping the ball to himself too much - but you cannot argue with the result at the end of the day.

James Reed's 30 mins on the pitch was full of energy and good touches, and he was trying too hard at times. Ben Fairclough did not really get into the game when he came on and the triallist Bennett seemed to be on the peripheral of things too.

Mills is a worry, as he came off injured (as did Milnes), as he struggled in the midfiled role along side Ross - even though he set up teh second goal with a nice flick.

A good workout for the team and things do look promising  :)

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2013, 10:33:14 AM »
Dont think Gary mills was injured . According to his twitter his knee feels good. Just a case of match fitness after a long lay off I would think.

Promising signs but the real test will start august 17th. 2 players off a good squad tho I would say.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 10:52:24 AM »
Spalding were a good side, who dominated us in the early stages. They controled the midfield well and argueably had the better chances in the first half. Our midfield took a while to impose themselves upon the game, and were bypassed as we looked to relieve pressure on the back four.
Once we got a grip on the game it was only one way traffic from then on. Did not score the amount of goals, or carve out alot of chances but we dominated the game.

Back four looked stable, but unsure about Bore playing at right back. Good touches from Garner and Sensara has pace to burn, although he likes to keep the team shape when could be more effective going forward and pressing up the pitch.

Miller does what he does best (scoring), and has that striker's mentality of keeping the ball to himself too much - but you cannot argue with the result at the end of the day.

James Reed's 30 mins on the pitch was full of energy and good touches, and he was trying too hard at times. Ben Fairclough did not really get into the game when he came on and the triallist Bennett seemed to be on the peripheral of things too.

Mills is a worry, as he came off injured (as did Milnes), as he struggled in the midfiled role along side Ross - even though he set up teh second goal with a nice flick.

A good workout for the team and things do look promising  :)
Good assesment there Rich..
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

BigRichT

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
Dont think Gary mills was injured . According to his twitter his knee feels good. Just a case of match fitness after a long lay off I would think.

Promising signs but the real test will start august 17th. 2 players off a good squad tho I would say.

His knee may be ok, but it looked like an achilles problem. He had an ice pack on that area and had anti-inflamatory tablets recommended by the physio.

Milnes came off with a knee problem though.

With the ground being rock hard it is not surprising that players pick up a few niggles.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 12:05:51 PM »
Promising signs but the real test will start august 17th.

First competitive game is on August 10th against Gainsborough in the revamped Lincs Senior Cup.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
All that cash Spalding thow about i wonder if there gonna buy a new lawn mower

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
Spaldings ground is owned by the council and they are responsible for the upkeep.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »
Listen at yourselves.......

Its Spalding Utd, 2 leagues below us, we should despatch them and look reasonable.......although in fairness the last manager made some right tin pot sides look like Barcelona, so you can call the performances an improvement going on that basis.

Its hardly Stockport or Telford, just out of the Conference is it?

Lets judge the team on those game, not UCL and NPL South sides.........

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »

Its Spalding Utd, 2 leagues below us, we should despatch them and look reasonable.......although in fairness the last manager made some right tin pot sides look like Barcelona, so you can call the performances an improvement going on that basis.

They may be two leagues below us, but are hardly representative of a league two levels below us with, for example at least four maybe five players that were playing in our league last season. No-ones going over board (well perhaps one enthusiastic soul did lol) but in what in real terms is only the second game these lads have played together they did okay.

You are right far though, more serious and competitive matches to come but that doesn't deflect from the two performances so far.........does it, after all what other choice is there?

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »

Agreed in general, but don't forget we lost to Spalding last pre season and at that time were well and truly second best to them! Time will tell if we're ready for the Stockports and Telfords of this world, but we're light yearss ahead of where we were twelve months ago.