Author Topic: Fixture Lists  (Read 8865 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Fixture Lists
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:54:03 AM »

Just 24 hours to go and then we can start making plans for the mid-winter trips to Barrow and Workington and the Tuesday night in Stalybridge!

I make the same point every year and I don't suppose this year is going to be any different, but there ought to be a way of concentrating the longest trips for each club towards the beginning and end of each season (easier travel conditions and less chance of weather related postponement), and keeping midweek dates for the more local fixtures. This is part-time football after all, and players as well as fans have jobs to contend with. But I'm still expecting there'll be some awkward entries on tomorrow's list.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: Fixture Lists
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
Good points LP - I agree.

DL

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »
So we'll end up with Barrow, Colwyn Bay and Workington away all in January and on Tuesday nights!

But however it works out, lots of travelling this season with only 2 teams within about 80 miles of Boston

joshb

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
Saturday August 17: Stockport County (A)
Tuesday August 20: AFC Telford United (H)
Saturday August 24: Leamington (H)
Monday August 26: North Ferriby United (A)
Saturday August 31: Worcester City (H)

Saturday September 7: Vauxhall Motors (A)
Saturday September 14: Guiseley (H)
Tuesday September 17: Oxford City (A)
Saturday September 21: Gloucester City (A)
Tuesday September 24: Bradford Park Avenue (H)
Saturday September 28: FA Cup 2Q

Saturday October 5: Barrow (H)
Saturday October 12: Gainsborough Trinity (A)
Saturday October 19: Harrogate Town (H)
Saturday October 26: Altrincham (H)

Saturday November 2: Brackley Town (A)
Saturday November 9: Colwyn Bay (H)
Saturday November 16: FA Trophy 3Q
Saturday November 23: Bradford Park Avenue (A)
Saturday November 30: Workington (H)

Saturday December 7: Guiseley (A)
Saturday December 14: Stockport County (H)
Saturday December 21: Stalybridge Celtic (A)
Thursday December 26: Histon (H)
Saturday December 28: AFC Telford United (A)

Wednesday January 1: Histon (A)
Saturday January 4: Vauxhall Motors (H)
Saturday January 11: Hednesford Town (A)
Saturday January 18: Solihull Moors (H)
Saturday January 25: Altrincham (A)

Saturday February 1: Gainsborough Trinity (H)
Saturday February 8: Brackley Town (H)
Saturday February 15: Colwyn Bay (A)
Saturday February 22: Harrogate Town (A)

Saturday March 1: Hednesford Town (H)
Saturday March 8: Workington (A)
Saturday March 15: Oxford City (H)
Saturday March 22: Barrow (A)
Saturday March 29: Gloucester City (H)

Saturday April 5: Solihull Moors (A)
Saturday April 12: Stalybridge Celtic (H)
Saturday April 19: Leamington (A)
Monday April 21: North Ferriby United (H)
Saturday April 26: Worcester City (A)

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »
We're the famous Boston United and we're going to Edgeley...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:21:25 PM »
Tough start.......

I've little or no faith in the management and at the moment I'm struggling to see where the points are coming from in the 1st 4 or 5 games but no doubt we'll see the semblance of a semi competitive squad in the next few weeks.

For all his many faults one thing you could always say about Evans was he'd have the majority of his team signed up by the end of May and would only add a couple in pre season. This recruitment process seems to be nothing short of shambolic and once again we are left to pick up the scraps.

Its not good enough.

Pilgrims007

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
Tough start.......

I've little or no faith in the management and at the moment I'm struggling to see where the points are coming from in the 1st 4 or 5 games but no doubt we'll see the semblance of a semi competitive squad in the next few weeks.

For all his many faults one thing you could always say about Evans was he'd have the majority of his team signed up by the end of May and would only add a couple in pre season. This recruitment process seems to be nothing short of shambolic and once again we are left to pick up the scraps.

Its not good enough.

Talking rubbish

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
I see that in a shocking new twist we're down to play every team home and away.

Mental.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Tough start.......

Its not good enough.

Talking rubbish

Thanks for the well thought out and considered response....... ::)

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »

For all his many faults one thing you could always say about Evans was he'd have the majority of his team signed up by the end of May and would only add a couple in pre season.

And then another twenty or so during the season.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »

For all his many faults one thing you could always say about Evans was he'd have the majority of his team signed up by the end of May and would only add a couple in pre season.

And then another twenty or so during the season.

With Money we never had.................
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »
Just because teams are assembled early doesn't mean they're any good. More important to find the right players at the right price.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »
Tough start.......

Its not good enough.

Talking rubbish

Thanks for the well thought out and considered response....... ::)
With what basis are you judging our squad, before it's even completely signed?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 05:12:41 PM »
Naughtyforties,

I think you are just saying those things for a reaction. The recruitment process, whatever your opinion, bears no correlation to how we might fair this season. Yes, Evans did do things differently but look at the ultimate price we have paid. Remember, you were a staunch Evans supporter at the time.

Judgement on all aspects should be reserved until the season is underway.

DL

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »
Going back to the fixture list, I'm generally quite happy with it.

You can make a case that Oxford is a long way to travel in midweek (and that we'll be going there in midweek for the second season running which isn't necessarily fair to those people who can only make Saturday matches), but at the same time there aren't many clubs closer to them than us, and they've got to play a home midweek match somewhere along the line.

Telford away is a long trip between Christmas and New Year - probably could have had something better.

Workington and Barrow trips are both in March, so hopefully the bad weather will have passed. I was dreading one or both of them coming out in December-January-February. Only problem with having them two weeks apart is it'll be an awful lot of petrol expense within one pay period, especially if you throw in a long weekend in the Lake District. But we'll cross that bridge nearer the time.

I'd have preferred Gainsborough to Histon over the festive period, but at the same time a few more away supporters at York Street will add to the occasion on Boxing Day.

One final query - I was expecting to see some League Cup dates on this season's fixture list. Does anyone know what the position is with that competition? The last one got suspended because of the collapse of the sponsors Setanta. But I'd assumed that the Setanta and Blue Square sponsorship packages would have been running in parallel, and that the League Cup might have been resurrected this season. It's not the end of the world though if it isn't.

EDIT: One more point. The Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup is on 12th October. Assuming that either us or Gainsborough win our matches in the previous round, the Lincolnshire Derby at the Northolme will have to take place in midweek after all! Don't they normally leave Third Qualifying Round Day blank on the fixture list? Hope they can afford the floodlights.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:29:22 PM by leicester pilgrim »