Author Topic: The season so far...  (Read 8355 times)

woad_pilgrim

The season so far...
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »
So we are a quarter of the way through the season, what are peoples thoughts so far?

I think we have got pretty much as I expected, a few good performances mixed with a few not so good. Positives are that we are still only 6 points off the top, have outplayed some of the best teams in this league on their own ground and I believe with have the right managers to take the team forward. On the flip side the home form is worrying poor, no home win and only 4 points as well as most of the worst performances coming on home soil. This is obviously going to take its toll on the floating supporter (which we have already seen) which will impact the finances.

Can do better is the term that would be used if this was a school report.

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: The season so far...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »
i thought we would be doing better after pre season but maybe i set my sights too high.away form is generally good home form is very disappointing to say the least.i think we need to set the teams formation to the opponents we play against.plus side for me parker+church negatives the two big guys.
          should be doing a bit better.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »
 I would say get The Crane in by Sat to play. . up front .

Seenbetter

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
I think Deano has almost got it right. The performances are generally good but where are the goals going to come from. Very dissappointed with the tall guys. I think we rely on them too much. Last night was better without them which must tell the managers something but I don't think it will.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »
personally think the 6-1 win agasint macclesfiled and the 11-0 win at splading got people setting their sights really high , even i have got dragged into that

then adding we went unbeaten in the first 5 games ,beating 2 very good sides in FCUM and Guiesly + matching kendal and snatching a late draw against Hucknall further incresing expectations

all of a sudden we lost against burcscough and haven't won since in the leauge, now people are starting too suggest were not as good as we thought we were, maybe not

But i really dont think we've became a bad team over night , as ive said agree that theirs some changes needed too be made i.e formation but i believe get the 1st home win in the league we will be a decent force in this league dont see why we cant make a play-off push if by christmas were within 6 points

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »
 I would suggest an experienced  loan  stopper to add stability while Canners injured ..
   and A wide defender who has confidence  to overlap maybe.
     If experienced  isn 't a dirty word to this Mgmnt  . .

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »
Taking one look at the table suggest noone knows where they will stand come May except Durham.

BPA have had a shocking start but can go above us if they win their game in hand, Kendull have been a revelation but are still within touching distance of a good week so it is still all to play for.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Richie..p

• Numbskulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
Defensively we are better than last season. Last season we looked like conceding nearly everytime the other side attacked which certainly isn't the case this season. Going forward we just don't seem to have any creative spark or risk taker, the route seems to be if on the ball in the centre of the pitch in a decent position then instead of shoot or be direct and take a risk running at goal the ball is played to the right or left attacker down the wings. I think RS and PH need to address their tactics and formations and get themselves a plan B or C as lumping it at three forward players just doesn't work. We should either play IMO 4-4-2 and use the midfield and use the wingers to support our full backs more or go 4-2-4 and ignore the midfield.

I've took this piece below from another football teams forum and although I don't mean to shoot at goal everytime I do think we need to look at having a few more tries . The bit in italics really does resemble tactics employed by Boston at home.

is that we don't seem to have anyone in the team at the moment who can really hit the ball consistently hard and accurately at goal from distance.
There does not seem to be anyone with the confidence, convistion or technical ability to be able to strike the ball properly at goal.
We played some really good stuff against Sunderland at times but I cannot remember one "full-blooded" effort from any sort of distance - except for Berra's shot that was pushed out by Gordon onto his own player for the OG.
I just wish our players would just "let fly" more often whenever they have a bit of space at approaching the opposition's 18 yard box. Work their keeper more and get players to follow up any shot that's being made.
I don't wish to appear over critical of the team as I think the lads have done really well so far, but, from watching all our matches this season, I feel if we do not address this we will not score the necessary goals to ensure survival.
We cannot rely totally on wonderful moves out to the wings and getting crosses in to our front men, as invariably the opposition have at least two tall cenral defenders to deal with them.
I just wish someone would take on the responsibilty more often and attack any bit of space available near their 18 yard box and hit the ball with conviction and accuracy.
Rant over !
Or is it me?
Has anyone else noticed this?

fcum_91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:42:33 PM »
I only hear how your game has gone by a mate of mine who is a loyal Boston fan your problem seem's to be a natural goalscorer he mentioned your missing Ricky Miller i could be wrong here.

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »
I only hear how your game has gone by a mate of mine who is a loyal Boston fan your problem seem's to be a natural goalscorer he mentioned your missing Ricky Miller i could be wrong here.

well last week RS was on about the 'spark' we need too get our season back up and running in either the target/standard

and as its been mentioned alot on here about we need a goalscorer because none of ours seem prolifc enough

ricky definatley added a ' spark ' to that shower of shit last season even if only for the final month or so

and he imo had a knack of behind in the right place at the right time i.e hednesford away

i wouldn't say the reason we aint scoring is because we didn't keep him but i think we could do with a similar kinda player

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »
So ..Patters
  Where do U think we will finish the season with the present squad..?
  And any whispers  re: new signings  ?

sshh u no hoo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 12:05:22 AM »

well last week RS was on about the 'spark' we need too get our season back up and running in either the target/standard

and as its been mentioned alot on here about we need a goalscorer because none of ours seem prolifc enough

ricky definatley added a ' spark ' to that shower of shit last season even if only for the final month or so

and he imo had a knack of behind in the right place at the right time i.e hednesford away

i wouldn't say the reason we aint scoring is because we didn't keep him but i think we could do with a similar kinda player

Regardless of whether we miss the lad or not, if the managers, as came to light in the summer didn't speak to him then, I wouldn't have thought there is a cat in hells chance of them doing so now

Anyway, all such thoughts will be dispelled when we knock in 4,5 or 6 goals Saturday and we go a couple of points behind the play off positions, and that is all it takes, knock in a good few against Durham, (everybody else does) and hopefully the confidence will come flooding back

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 01:12:20 AM »

Unless i have misread previous posts on the subject i was under the impression we have
 that natural goalscorer come preditor in Newsham ?...... could be wrong there i suppose
 but not according to quite a few contributors on this forum. Yes,you are right i am not
 a fan as i believe his workrate is far below that of his fellow players and he can be quite a
 luxury at times when it has proved in past games when the going is a bit tough.

Stepup a gear Mr Newsham to achieve that accolade in my opinion!!
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

Seenbetter

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »
I don't think that if we beat Durham it will be a resounding confidence building exercise. It will be a hollow victory. Everyone else is wupping them. You have to give their players some credit for keeping going. Must be demoralising to keep getting thumped.

sshh u no hoo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 08:39:58 AM »
I don't think that if we beat Durham it will be a resounding confidence building exercise. It will be a hollow victory. Everyone else is wupping them. You have to give their players some credit for keeping going. Must be demoralising to keep getting thumped.

Thats just the point though. if it's demoralising for them, which as you correctly point out it must me, then surely by the same arguement, particuarly in consideration of the teams recent form, victory against anyone, has to be a confidence booster.
Within the same arguement, in reverse, if god forbid we dont win then morale would be dragging along the floor
A win is a win, and we badly need one. A good old fashioned thumping, regardless of opposition must lift everyones spirits, especially if done in style, both the team and the supporters

No?