Author Topic: Storytime Steve At It Again  (Read 9791 times)

Stumpy

• View Profile
Re: Storytime Steve At It Again
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:34:18 PM »

When exactly did we play Newcastle?

I can remember a friendly circa 1987 in which Newcastle fielded the likes of McReary, Roeder, Mirandinha, Frank Pingel, etc. That was well before Evans' time, and I can't remember us playing them more recently.

Pontins League mate, last couple of seasons in the league I think. I remember Lewis Guy who's at Donny Rover played for them.We pulled in just under 1000 for the home game.

You must be mistaken, Shodfried, The Blue Square Special One has told his local press that the game was played out in front of 3500 and he was never one to exaggerate, or is my memory worse than yours.  ;D

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
Does no-one remember the friendly we had? The Gazza saga was just beginning/had begun - Martin Carruthers scored a hat-trick! We won 4-0 I believe...

EDIT: Just looked at Ken's site... 27th July 2004, crowd was 3349.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
If he got on that well with Sir Bobby it's a wonder he never became Newcastle manager on his recommendation  ::)

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »
Does no-one remember the friendly we had? The Gazza saga was just beginning/had begun - Martin Carruthers scored a hat-trick! We won 4-0 I believe...

EDIT: Just looked at Ken's site... 27th July 2004, crowd was 3349.

and from the News page that season:

27 July A packed York Street saw Paul Gascoigne turn out for Boston United in a match against Newcastle United's reserve side this evening. Boston won the match 4-0 courtesy of a first half hat-trick from new signing Martin Carruthers and a goal from Mark Greaves. Gascoigne played for 75 minutes before being replaced by Simon Rusk. The Newcastle team was mainly made up of youngsters, but did include two players with first team appearances - England Under 21 international Michael Chopra and Jamie McClen. The full Newcastle team was: Tony Caig, Kris Gate, Phil Cave, David Edgar, Peter Ramage, Ben Webster, Martin Brittain, Jamie McClen, Guy Bates, Michael Chopra, Matthew Pattison. Subs: Lewis Guy, Chris Farman, Daniel Howe, Craig Baxter, Adam Bartlett.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »
 As Shodfried says we will never know the truth but may i suggest we ask our selves the following questions which may help us to make a more accurate guess.
 1  At the time did you hear Evans telling every journalist in lthe world about in ?

2  Did you hear him shouting it from every rooftop in Boston ?

3  How many times in Sir Bobbys lifetime did you hear him say  " my old mate Sir Bobby " ?

pilgrimmad

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »
he mentions in the artical he sorted the pre-season friendly.... now if ya read gazza's autobiography he mentioned he set it up!!!!

Czuczmans Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »
Of course he met up with Sir Bobby, you fools! This was the week before he was on stage dancing with Michael Jackson and also the same week he was preparing a meal with Keith Floyd  ;D