Author Topic: D G  (Read 36802 times)

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: D G
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
I'm pleased you've said that WP, I thought it was just me and BG who had reservations.........

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt though and see how things pan out when we have HIS team in place next August.
I said all along this man looked shifty,  I have been waiting to see who he would bring in as is assistant, he seems not to know anyone.
I smell a personality problem hear,it seems no one as followed him anywere be it player or staff.
I think B Grimes is not letting on all he knows.
players had to go.   we all no that but its the way he's gone about it, dont seem the way to me.
any way good luck to all players going and all who come in :) :)

Look the only thing I do know is that wherever he has been there have been 'issues of one type or another', none of which ever appear to be of his doing, and I simply don't subscribe to the thought that there can be a lot of smoke without any fires, nor indeed in the pattern of departures being 'just coincidence!

I have two friends who go to St Neot's every week who suggested he's arrogant, very dismissive of players and supprters who question him, and vocally very loud and rude.

'Allegedly' he offered his resignation after two successful years there after a reduction of the budget, but a budget none the less that was probably the biggest budget outside the conference (£10-£15K transfer fee spent on Stefan Moore whilst in the UCL...wow!) and he apparently expected the chairman to say 'no we need you'. Much apparently to DG's amazement, that didn't happen and the chairman happily accepted it.

Drury spun a very good tale and at times his words looked daft, but a a long standing supporter what I want our manager to say, is that I hope to sign 5,6 players on contract very shortly because I know they will be great for Boston next year, not.......... all the players that I sign will be of the non contracted variety in case they don't cut it!

My advice to that, simple as it may be, is if there is any doubt, don't sign them in the first place!

Maybe because I am older than most, but my philosophy is also to treat people respectfully and that's how then people will treat you. It remains to be seen what we will all think come October and I genuinely hope that Noughtyforties and I have to swallow hard when that humble pie is presented to us

I support the club first and foremost, the team second, and the manager then third. Not my choice is DG, but as manager, someone who I currently give total support to. Cant be fairer than that can I?

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »
Very Good points Mr Grimes, always enjoy reading your posts.  I too have heard the accusations of arrogance and read an article recently that Greene sent unpleasant texts to the Histon manager after he left.  I also agree that a bit of common decency when dealing with individuals goes a long way.  But us Boston fans have to decide what we want, people were moaning that Jason Lee was too nice to be a manager last season and signed too many on contract, Graham Drury was only interested in signing mates and wanted to get rid of too many players and now Greene is too arogant and hasn't got enough mates and isn't signing enough on contract!  We're all experts here! I'd just like to see us for once get behind a manager.

I think maybe Mr Greene should take some of these comments on board (I'm sure from what I've read that he will be looking at this board) and realise we as Boston fans expect a certain level of professionalism and that we expect good calibre signings and success. Excuses about the budget etc won't be tolerated.  In return we need to get behind him, as realistically, what are we going to do, sack ANOTHER manager based on a few things we dont like?!!  Nobodies perfect and the sooner us Boston fans realise that the sooner we can start moving forwards.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
I think I'll reserve my judgement until I see what calibre of players he signs and how the team gels over the first 10 matches.  I'm not particularly interested in his past now he's here, just the here and now and what he does in the future.  I'm sure if my current employer could have googled my entire career along with comments from those I worked with, they would have been able to find a reason to not employ me.  I'm not bothered if he "looks shifty", doesn't have any mates or if his eyes are too close together, I'm just bothered about what he does now.

What I would really like to see this season is for us to build from the back.  If we can get a couple of solid centre backs in and a commanding keeper, that will be worth a good few points to us before we even think about scoring goals. If you dont concede, you don't lose.  I feel fairly confident we can score the necessary goals against most teams in this division.

A few stats:

We scored against every team in the top 5
We Beat 3 out of the top 5 at least once
Joint 8th Highest scorers in the division along with Gainsborough
Joint 15th on Goals conceded (approx twice as many as Chester and Halifax)
Average goals scored 1.6 per game
Average goals conceded 1.7

The defence has been poor now for the past two seasons and in my opinion this was Jason Lee's biggest error.  If you have a strong defence it leads to consistency which we have lacked all year.  If you are playing badly, but don't concede, you can come into the game and nick a goal late on.  This is the main strength of all the best sides, you can't expect to perform well every week but with a strong defence, you pick up results even when playing badly.

Edit

Extra Stats:

5/10 games we scored 2 goals or more against top 5 opposition
Losing margin only greater than 1 goal on 2/10 occasions (Guisely Home and Altrincham Away)

Aren't stats just wonderful  ;D

Here's another one, and please correct me if I am wrong, this is just off the top of my head. Apart from the first three games DG was in charge, which after the dross we had watched before that was probably the highlight of our season, we have played I think it's seven games of which we collected just five points and three of those came against the whipping boys of Hinkley!

If Newton in whom we all trust had known that, what would have the odds been for DG given the job permanently? Especially as you could argue those firs three games, someone else possibly suggested the line up, and the element of new manager syndrome has to be added as well.

I just hope I am wrong, but i'm sorry, apart from the euphoria we all felt with those three wins and more those three clean sheets, all I am saying without hopefully being in anyway negative, is that as yet I am not a disciple.

I don't need DG to walk on water nor turn it into Fosters ( though that would certainly be enough for me ;D )  but I do expect to be excited by all these imminent signings and also 'hope' that come the end of September we would be sitting somewhere near the top six

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
Very Good points Mr Grimes, always enjoy reading your posts.  I too have heard the accusations of arrogance and read an article recently that Greene sent unpleasant texts to the Histon manager after he left.  I also agree that a bit of common decency when dealing with individuals goes a long way.  But us Boston fans have to decide what we want, people were moaning that Jason Lee was too nice to be a manager last season and signed too many on contract, Graham Drury was only interested in signing mates and wanted to get rid of too many players and now Greene is too arogant and hasn't got enough mates and isn't signing enough on contract!  We're all experts here! I'd just like to see us for once get behind a manager.

I think maybe Mr Greene should take some of these comments on board (I'm sure from what I've read that he will be looking at this board) and realise we as Boston fans expect a certain level of professionalism and that we expect good calibre signings and success. Excuses about the budget etc won't be tolerated.  In return we need to get behind him, as realistically, what are we going to do, sack ANOTHER manager based on a few things we dont like?!!  Nobodies perfect and the sooner us Boston fans realise that the sooner we can start moving forwards.

Quality post Max.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
I can't disagree with the negative Greene stats, my stats weren't intended to strengthen Greene's position, more the need to strengthen the defence. 

I can honestly say out of all of our managerial appointments in the past couple of seasons since Scott and Hurst left, I've not really been inspired by any, particularly in the case of Drury and Greene.  The point is though, they were appointed and its my opinion that we've got to get behind them and at the very least give them the opportunity to prove themselves.  We all have different opinions but I think what unites us all (or should do) is the desire for Boston to be succesful.  I find all this nit picking every single summer on every single manager completely counter productive to us being succesful. Can anybody suggest how all this will contribute to a succesful season?

I also think its sad that football talk always gets drowned out by talk of whether or not any of us approve of the current manager of the day.  Even though Scoot and Hurst were eventually succesful, people even grumbled about them in the early days.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say Scott was pretty arrogant and didn't they fall out with their old chairman?

I've got no problem with critiscm of managers, but its become an obsession on this forum now and I think this club is almost becoming unmanagable.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
I can't disagree with the negative Greene stats, my stats weren't intended to strengthen Greene's position, more the need to strengthen the defence. 

I can honestly say out of all of our managerial appointments in the past couple of seasons since Scott and Hurst left, I've not really been inspired by any, particularly in the case of Drury and Greene.  The point is though, they were appointed and its my opinion that we've got to get behind them and at the very least give them the opportunity to prove themselves.  We all have different opinions but I think what unites us all (or should do) is the desire for Boston to be succesful.  I find all this nit picking every single summer on every single manager completely counter productive to us being succesful. Can anybody suggest how all this will contribute to a succesful season?

I also think its sad that football talk always gets drowned out by talk of whether or not any of us approve of the current manager of the day.  Even though Scoot and Hurst were eventually succesful, people even grumbled about them in the early days.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say Scott was pretty arrogant and didn't they fall out with their old chairman?

I've got no problem with critiscm of managers, but its become an obsession on this forum now and I think this club is almost becoming unmanagable.

Can anyone find a statement in the above that can be contridicted ?   I can,t .

Let,s take all the above on board and get a life .

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »

Apart from the obsession bit Max, which is surely too strong a word, perhaps replace it with diverse debate, which to me is always healthy if at times contentious, I totally agree with the comment and tone of your post mate

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »

Can anyone find a statement in the above that can be contridicted ?   I can,t .

Let,s take all the above on board and get a life .
Get a life! But you, along with others where happy enough to join in with the verbal assault by most on here of Graham Drury, some of it libelous in the comparison to a convicted fraudster. If it were me I would have sued the people drawing the comparisons. Didn't see Maxross trying to tell them to stop critisizing.

I can contradict, Maxross is talking about the forum as an individual thing, when it is in fact a collection of individuals with their own opinions. It's called freedom of speech and Maxross nor anyone else will tell me what to do, as long as I am not libelous or contradicting any of the rules on here or being abusive then he has no right.

For what its worth, I was behind Jase Lee right up until the 2 or 3 weeks before he was sacked, as you know. I defended him and the team, including during Summer recruitment. I defended the decision to keep almost all of the 11/12 season squad as I saw potential. Unfortunately they didn't fulfill that potential IMO so I now admin I was wrong about his team.

Drury I was behind right till the end and was disappointed when he was sacked. I defended him against almost total critism on here until I had enough of the rubbish being spouted so I stopped posting. I suggest Maxross does the same if he doesn't like what's being said.

So for the first time I am critisizing a manager, mainly down to keeping the 2 CB's who have conceded so many goals and have been the weak point in the team. He could have kept virtually anyone else and I wouldn't have had so much of a problem. And if that is what I think, that is what I'll say. Seems to me this forum's users have a pack mentality, if the majority agree then it must be right.

So I'll continue to say it how I see it, I will get behind the lads and the manager, like BG I'll eat as much humble pie as you like if I'm wrong. I hope for the clubs sake I am because I don't want another season like last.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
just scan read a few of the previous posts.
Making me think twice about renewing my season ticket.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
We need to all stop looking at past record and other bits that are in the past. Lets get behind the club and give greene a chance to build a squad for next season.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »

Apart from the obsession bit Max, which is surely too strong a word, perhaps replace it with diverse debate, which to me is always healthy if at times contentious, I totally agree with the comment and tone of your post mate

Agree BG.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
We need to all stop looking at past record and other bits that are in the past. Lets get behind the club and give greene a chance to build a squad for next season.
good post Shauney, poss proving you are not Graham Drurys love child :)
or is it a double bluff??????
(only kiddin :) )

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
Whilst making no assumptions about the current manager, I am frequently amazed by the way football lives in a vacuum from the real world, both financially and morally. Even in higher leagues (why do I bother to say 'higher'?) I often read about managers not speaking to players that they don't want, or didn't sign, or both, and/or consigning them to train with the reserves. If players were released by BUFC without being informed personally, then it is simply not good enough. I would not expect to be treated like that, and (in my job as a head of department in senior school) I would not expect to treat either staff or pupils in that manner. An excess of testosterone is no excuse to good manners.

I suppose I'm just a grumpy old dinosaur.

chris47

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
After reading this thread I remember why I do not bother visiting this forum frequently anymore.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2013, 07:06:47 AM »

Shauney, you are slowly winning me over sir, but you are beginning to sound like a desparate Tory councillor trying to hold on to his seat in Lincolnshire.

I don't think there is a soul on here that does not wish, does not badly crave success for next season, and am sure everyone on here is fullysupportive of the new manager and the efforts he is hopefully putting in to building a challenging squad, but to simultaneously suggest we shouldn't look back and compare bits and pieces from the past, from a seemingly perennial bunch of under achievers is possibly naïve and futile

This is football, the real nectar of life, and unless comments get really nasty and personal, like to be fair they most certainly did when Mr Drury was here, much of which as WP suggests were at worse libellous and at best just down right nasty, surely the wish, the need, the compulsion to debate all aspects of the club supported, in this case Boston is profoundly important, its what makes us feel a part of the club which as you allude, moving forward is vital

If because of my support for the club, means, and let me tell you it does, having to serve up weekly cooked full English breakfasts for Mrs G as way of compliant penance when all I really want to do is watch the recording of MOTD then that in itself gives me the right to chat away on any football related subject I wish ;D