Author Topic: D G  (Read 36730 times)

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: D G
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:13 PM »
Mills has done ok in patches, and looks promising - not totally fair to judge as he hadn't played for a while before joining us so not match fit.  DG will want to improve his work rate and awareness - at the moment he stops playing when he loses the ball.
Think the keeper might be Timms.  He looked good against us (apart from bottling that challenge with SWD).  Also didn't react to the crowd's taunting about his past - a good sign?  Maybe he has matured.  His twitter account features a picture from the match against us, if that's any clue.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »
Losing confidence in Greene with every passing day. First he comes out and says we're aiming for 7th or 8th, totally underselling a club of our size in this league.

Next he comes out and says he's signed the best keeper in non league, unless he's signing a full time pro from Conf Prem then I suggest he should have said the best keeper at this level or below. And if it had been Graham Drury had said this he would have been crucified on here, because it's likable Dennis Greene nobody bats an eyelid.

He then fails to tell either of his keepers they are not being retained, lacks professionalism, class and again if done by Graham Drury would have taken some stick on here.

The retained list, Ward and Stainsfield? Take it we're looking to not keep many clean sheets this season. Even if they're squad players they'll have to fill in at some point due to injuries, suspensions, unavailability. Whilst on this point, 3 signed + 7 offered + 6 DG says he needs =16 - Ward out on loan, Reed who he says is one for the future leaves 14. So we have 11 + 3 for the bench first team players. The rest of the bench will have to be made of those 2 plus youths/reserves. Not many game changes and that's without injuries etc. I hope he's going to sign more than he says or else we're going to have times where we struggle to put 11 first teamers out...

For all the sh*t Drury got on here, he instilled me with more confidence that Greene is at the moment. Really not looking forward to next season, get the feeling Greene is blagging it and his signings won't be anywhere near good enough, this based on who he's kept, offering Mills when he's not really done anything for example.

I could go on but I think that's enough for starters. A very concerned fan.

I can see your concerns WP but I think you are jumping the gun judging him before we even know who he is going to sign . 
Like myself you mentioned a few times JLwas about 3/4 players short of a good team , all retained players are Lee players .
As for GD signings all have gone with very few complaints from fans . On that basis I can see nothing to recommend Drury .
Looking at the record of Drury during his stay he made us real candidates for relegation .

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Yes GHM I will second that part about relegation, when I was looking at the league how it finished at the weekend I think we would have been fighting with Corby and Histon to stay up under Drury.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:21:56 PM by BosLeake »

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
Mills has done ok in patches, and looks promising - not totally fair to judge as he hadn't played for a while before joining us so not match fit.  DG will want to improve his work rate and awareness - at the moment he stops playing when he loses the ball.
Think the keeper might be Timms.  He looked good against us (apart from bottling that challenge with SWD).  Also didn't react to the crowd's taunting about his past - a good sign?  Maybe he has matured.  His twitter account features a picture from the match against us, if that's any clue.
Loads of people on here judged Drury signings after much less than 7 games...

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
Losing confidence in Greene with every passing day. First he comes out and says we're aiming for 7th or 8th, totally underselling a club of our size in this league.

Next he comes out and says he's signed the best keeper in non league, unless he's signing a full time pro from Conf Prem then I suggest he should have said the best keeper at this level or below. And if it had been Graham Drury had said this he would have been crucified on here, because it's likable Dennis Greene nobody bats an eyelid.

He then fails to tell either of his keepers they are not being retained, lacks professionalism, class and again if done by Graham Drury would have taken some stick on here.

The retained list, Ward and Stainsfield? Take it we're looking to not keep many clean sheets this season. Even if they're squad players they'll have to fill in at some point due to injuries, suspensions, unavailability. Whilst on this point, 3 signed + 7 offered + 6 DG says he needs =16 - Ward out on loan, Reed who he says is one for the future leaves 14. So we have 11 + 3 for the bench first team players. The rest of the bench will have to be made of those 2 plus youths/reserves. Not many game changes and that's without injuries etc. I hope he's going to sign more than he says or else we're going to have times where we struggle to put 11 first teamers out...

For all the sh*t Drury got on here, he instilled me with more confidence that Greene is at the moment. Really not looking forward to next season, get the feeling Greene is blagging it and his signings won't be anywhere near good enough, this based on who he's kept, offering Mills when he's not really done anything for example.

I can see your concerns WP but I think you are jumping the gun judging him before we even know who he is going to sign . 
Like myself you mentioned a few times JLwas about 3/4 players short of a good team , all retained players are Lee players .
As for GD signings all have gone with very few complaints from fans . On that basis I can see nothing to recommend Drury .
Looking at the record of Drury during his stay he made us real candidates for relegation .
I was wrong about Lee and about his team. The first team was short of about 6 players and the squad much more. I'm complaining about Drury players being released and I'm a fan. I'd take the 2 CB's released over the 2 retained any day. Greene and Lee's records would have put us 10th and 11th respectively, not nearly good enough. Drury would have got rid of more of the average players than Greene has, this squad is too comfy in mid-table and Greene seems similar.

I like Tom Ward he looked a real prospect when he came, but he's gone backwards and has been at fault for so many of our goals it's untrue. Any manager who can keep Tom over Jase Field, who's 3 years younger and much better in his position already, ditto Lister, I don't have any faith in his ability to sign the right players.

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »
Think Ward must have got a round of drinks in Woad last night LoL

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »

I was wrong about Lee and about his team. The first team was short of about 6 players and the squad much more. I'm complaining about Drury players being released and I'm a fan. I'd take the 2 CB's released over the 2 retained any day. Greene and Lee's records would have put us 10th and 11th respectively, not nearly good enough. Drury would have got rid of more of the average players than Greene has, this squad is too comfy in mid-table and Greene seems similar.

I like Tom Ward he looked a real prospect when he came, but he's gone backwards and has been at fault for so many of our goals it's untrue. Any manager who can keep Tom over Jase Field, who's 3 years younger and much better in his position already, ditto Lister, I don't have any faith in his ability to sign the right players.

Agree JL and Greenes results pointed to mid-table finish ,  preferred by most fans to Drurys projected relegation position . 
Drury did get rid of a few average players only to replace them with poor players .

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 10:11:34 PM »
Agree with wo on ward everytime the ball goes.near him my heart misses a beat. I also thought lister looked better. Same goes for stainfield. I will still reserve judgement he may be keeping enough budget to fund more players

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 10:14:34 PM »
Maybe Wardy is that target man we're after...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
Agree with wo on ward everytime the ball goes.near him my heart misses a beat. I also thought lister looked better. Same goes for stainfield. I will still reserve judgement he may be keeping enough budget to fund more players

Agreed I'm not too sure on our defensive players offered deals but Lister has suffered with injuries since he's been with us and Watt was not the answer either IMO

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
Agree JL and Greenes results pointed to mid-table finish ,  preferred by most fans to Drurys projected relegation position . 
Drury did get rid of a few average players only to replace them with poor players .
In your opinion. Mine? Watt and Lister better than Ward and Stainsfield. Field better than Jelly (as was Mayo).

Foster we had no player of that ilk to compare against - defensive midfielder. But from the departure of Wilson it was obvious we needed someone like him which JL never addressed. I would say he was a success (but correct decision to let go as there are better players that can do that job)

Walker poor and worse than Silk, I'll give you that one. Smith, had good and bad games like all wingers - seems he was vilified for it more than others. Was better than Stokes but worse than Kallum Smith. Spriggs was a waste of space I'll give you that too.

So IMO about a 50/50 split.

As far as Drury's concerned? Personally I think Drury would have turned it round but we'll never know now.

Anway I will support whoever wears the shirt and the manager, it's nothing personal against any players retained just think the squad as a whole have had long enough to prove themselves here and perhaps it's time for some to find a new challenge. But this is the place to voice opinions and concerned and I'm very concerned. In the immortal words of N40's - prove me wrong  :)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »

Agreed I'm not too sure on our defensive players offered deals but Lister has suffered with injuries since he's been with us and Watt was not the answer either IMO

I thought you rated Watt  :o
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
Jordan Smith obviously not coming back?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »

He was heading back, but he got his head down, didn't look up and went straight past.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »

He was heading back, but he got his head down, didn't look up and went straight past.

What you would expect from a player unable to get a place in a struggling UNIBOND side .