Author Topic: Who do we want to sign in the summer  (Read 20325 times)

tigerroar

• View Profile
Re: Who do we want to sign in the summer
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Danny Andrew signed for you, he's from your neck of the woods and wants either L2 or Conference football, so if he fails to get it will probably go home.

He's been nothing short of brilliant since we signed him at Christmas.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
Danny Andrew would be decent signing we need a new left back and he would fit the bill but can't see him moving back this way on??

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »

To keep expenses down for training and matches I imagine we'll want to fill a car with players from the Sheffield area (to accompany Newsham and Ross), another car from the Nottingham area (to accompany Fairclough, Milnes and Stainsfield) another car from Leicester (to accompany Weir-Daley and Mills).

In terms of the Leicester players, maybe it'd be worth having a look at Ryan Robbins from Coalville. He's slightly tempramental and likely to pick up a few yellow cards for dissent (think combination of Ricky Miller and Kern Miller). But he is an attacking midfielder who has scored 31 goals from 43 appearances this season, and is probably the main reason why Coalville are in the upper reached of the Unibond League South. If he can get the disciplinary side of his game sorted then he'd be worth a look.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
Who's the Danny Andrew that you're on about?

check the grass knoll and the IPA Green King  :bunny
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »
Oh please stop talking about Semple and Yates! They both had their chance here and as far as i'm concerned, both failed. Now don't even ask me who i think we should have either, lets just sit back and see who DG brings in, then we can all bloody moan about it!!  ;D

check the grassy knoll and the IPA Green King  :bunny

Too many on here keep looking back, not forwards. I agree with you 100%.

Its why the clubs gone backwards, too many people happy with the mediocrity we've been served up for the last two seasons.

I'd happily take a few of the Grimity boys, not Yeats, but I'd imagine we'll not be in the ball park again when it comes to wages; my guess is we'll be shopping around St Ives and the top end of the Southern League.

I live in hope but when Greene says 7th or 8th is his aim I'm afraid I struggle to get too excited.

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
Danny Andrew is a left sided player who is at Gloucester city formerly of peterborough and Cheltenham. Decent prospect!!! Roma,waterfall,Yates and nelthorpe all for sheffield I believe all be good signing in my opinion!!

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »
In any league you need top players to win anything. Although, those players need to work for the team, not just turn up and hold their hands out for the money. You only have to look at one or two in the EPL, QPR for a start! The Mancs have not won 20 times with having poor players, they had the best.
Take Guilsley second again, good side last season good side this season. We finished where we did because that's the level we were at, it's going to take a lot of work and money to get us where we want to be.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

porl99

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »
my guess is we'll be shopping around St Ives and the top end of the Southern League.

I agree with this.  My big concern over DG is his contacts - given his location and experience in management (i.e. Histon and St Neots)  I believe most of his knowledge will be based towards the southern part of the country as oppose to the north, and feel this could be a bit of a predicament for us this coming season.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
Yes but look where Mr contacts got us

Seenbetter

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
At least DG has given a reasonable assessment. Much better than filling us full of crap like the little feller did. All wise people under assess what they really want so if we do better than that it's a bonus and we will all be happy. Like NFs often said about GD, give the bloke a chance, although it's a good job we didn't because if we had we would have regularly been seeing players from a lower league playing at York Street, except they would have been trying to beat us.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
Piergiani is a good shout, I also liked Corby's other centre back Malone. They both had really good games in both games over Xmas/NY. The big concern is Corby's defence was worse than ours so we probably only saw the good side? The other player I like the look of from Corby is Moreman, scored a fair few goals in a relegated side.

Really can't see this obsession with Stamp. He's a big carthorse who scored 9 league goals, that's 12 less than Newsh, 5 less than SWD and 1 less than Jones total when he left in December!! Not sure why our support is so obsessed with a target man when a) We are going to be playing passing football and b) All the top sides in this league don't play with a target man.

So of Trinity's players, Budtz, Waterfall, Hone and Hawkridge. Yates was outstanding against us at theirs, but don't think he'd come back given the animosity. Budtz the gk is class, Hawkridge is too good for this level and will only get better (similar to Watmore at Alty) so would be an outstanding signing but can only see him going up. Waterfall and Hone the 2 cb's would be better than anything we've got. The only other standout Trinity player is Jones and he is contracted there for next season.

Jacobs as mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if we went for him again. Apparently we offered a fee for him before he went to Lynn so I think DG is keen to get him here.

Alex Davidson from BPA is another really good player, their number 8 against us at home was also superb - think it was Hotte?

I'm sure theres others if I think hard enough...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:54:36 PM by woad_pilgrim »

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »
Not too fussed about the players that come in - just as important is how the manager can get the best out of those we have/get. Take someone like Tom Ward for example - I think he is a young lad with great potential but just needs some coaching. There's others that need confidence. We need the manager to know the players and how to manage them properly.

DL

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »
Ah BG, i'm single and I don't have a lawn!  ;D If I could have a choice on who to bring back, then it would be Pearson, make him captain too.

Good shout! ;D

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »
Where is the fun in sitting back? The whole purpose about pre season is the speculation on who we would all want to see arrive!

If I sit back she steals me for grass cutting duties...sod that!

Grass cutting , taking the wife shopping  !!!!!   Get yourselve a life BG , buy a set of golf clubs .

That's a bit harsh, i'll let you know I do have a set of clubs....why do you think I cut the lawn. Got to have somewhere to play! :D

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 08:39:51 AM »

To keep expenses down for training and matches I imagine we'll want to fill a car with players from the Sheffield area (to accompany Newsham and Ross), another car from the Nottingham area (to accompany Fairclough, Milnes and Stainsfield) another car from Leicester (to accompany Weir-Daley and Mills).

In terms of the Leicester players, maybe it'd be worth having a look at Ryan Robbins from Coalville. He's slightly tempramental and likely to pick up a few yellow cards for dissent (think combination of Ricky Miller and Kern Miller). But he is an attacking midfielder who has scored 31 goals from 43 appearances this season, and is probably the main reason why Coalville are in the upper reached of the Unibond League South. If he can get the disciplinary side of his game sorted then he'd be worth a look.

Logistically, that is a great shout about the travelling. It's not unheard of surely for players to suggest players that live in their area and therein could be the solution to what 'may' be a shortfall in DG's armoury...lack of Northern contacts!

As for Robbins, I was reading the Kings Lynn forum a while back and looked at some of his social media ramblings, he's not all there, and certainly a player of that ilk is not for me, though he is apparently a very good left winger, just the thought of it is scary.

But the old chestnut of Miller is one I personally would really welcome, I really liked him before when he was another who had disciplinary issues and would definitely like to see him back especially as he now appears to have settled down. He was apparently in the evostick team of the year and has averaged a goal a game which is undeniably impressive in any league. Another player from Stamford worth looking at though don't know where he lives is Hall their right winger

Using his Southern league contacts, even though it will be a huge journey, something that may be a problem for many southern league players,  DG may be able to tempt Frendo from Hitchin and my word he is another one with a great scoring record this season

See how much fun this is lonegunman...get your guns out of your holster and get into the spirit, who would you like to see? ;D ;)