Author Topic: As it seems taboo tonight  (Read 5101 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
As it seems taboo tonight
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »
I'll mention the mis match.

We were awful from start to finish and got what we deserved. We looked poor down the centre of defence, the midfield didn't compete and the forwards were feeding off scraps. DG got his answer to how we perform when we go a goal down, and that is we frequently fold like a pack or cards.......he goes on about a few tweaks here and there, this is a bunch of players who've proven over time they are not consistent enough to challenge, the squad needs over hauling, not a few additions.

Why Ward and Stainsfield didn't start I don't know but surely the time for tinkering is after next week after a win at Hinckley and the Chester game. All the momentum picked up after the three straight wins has now gone........Dave Newton asks for the support to come out but when the manager decides its time to tinker with a winning formula against a savvy,streetwise team like BPA its rather throwing those words back at the Chairman. The manager has a duty to pick his strongest side, he let us down today and any floating fans who did come must be wondering what all the fuss is about.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: As it seems taboo tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »
Transfer deadline is this Thursday... will be interesting to see what changes to the squad are made. A left-footed wideman is needed...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
Transfer deadline is this Thursday... will be interesting to see what changes to the squad are made. A left-footed wideman is needed...

Indication on the radio is that we would look at what we have and not bring anymore in.  Liked his openness about it being a waste of money if we weren't building for next year to bring someone in for only a handfull of games.  I wonder if he has players in mind he would like that are attached to clubs and if given the job will wait to see what he can do in the summer.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »
Totally agree with you Andy. On the prediction league I suggested a win but only if a team was picked to keep the good run going and not experimenting.
At least the manager knows who can cut it and who clearly cannot. We need at least four new players and although some on here have been waxing lyrical about some that have been with us for quite a while, I am afraid we need to wake up, smell the coffee and admit that although they may have been good servants it is time for change. 

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
New additions to the squad should include (as a minimum):

One goalkeeper
Two experienced centre halves
One tricky left footed winger
One big target man type striker

Many of the current squad have had two years to prove themselves now. A few are good enough, a few are good on their day but inconsistent and more than a few are playing at a level that is too high for them.

A day which started off ok-ish but went rapidly downhill after the sloppy first goal. We hardly created any chances, the weather was awful and BPA deserved their win. BPA are unlikely to make the play-offs so it shows how much we need to improve if we are going to compete next season.

DL

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 08:04:36 PM »
Not there today. The weather prevented it.  :( However, I applaud AB for a measured and reasoned post (this is V unusual for me, agreeing with AB!). This is not the time to experiment.  :o If the Chair needs people through the gate, so be it! Business first every time. 
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
I'll mention the mis match.

We were awful from start to finish and got what we deserved. We looked poor down the centre of defence, the midfield didn't compete and the forwards were feeding off scraps. DG got his answer to how we perform when we go a goal down, and that is we frequently fold like a pack or cards.......he goes on about a few tweaks here and there, this is a bunch of players who've proven over time they are not consistent enough to challenge, the squad needs over hauling, not a few additions.

Why Ward and Stainsfield didn't start I don't know but surely the time for tinkering is after next week after a win at Hinckley and the Chester game. All the momentum picked up after the three straight wins has now gone........Dave Newton asks for the support to come out but when the manager decides its time to tinker with a winning formula against a savvy,streetwise team like BPA its rather throwing those words back at the Chairman. The manager has a duty to pick his strongest side, he let us down today and any floating fans who did come must be wondering what all the fuss is about.

With no prospect of promotion/relegation, surely now is the right time to discover how good his playing options are, ready for his retained list at the end of the season.
BPA are one of the best teams we (Trinity) have played this season, and they are still near play offs, so to lose to them is no shame.

Don't think (m)any floating fans will have braved the weather today, only diehards

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
Over the last 3 or 4 seasons there's been nothing to choose between us and BPA, we pipped them in the play offs then they got up under their own steam the season after and last season and this we fought out 3 tight games.

But yesterday there was a chasm between us, 4-0 was a pretty accurate reflection of the difference in the sides and quite possibly the wake up call everyone needed about the quality and ability of the current squad. Yesterday showed that the reserves are not the answer, you can get away with one on the bench, but if we really are serious about a challenge next season the manager has got to show his mettle in the transfer market this summer and bring in proven performers at this level.

Can he do that?

I've more faith in him than I had Jason Lee, but thats not saying much. Those missing 400 are going to need something to tempt them back, question is, will he be able to fulfil expectation, or will it just be another false dawn?

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:26 AM »
I think we will onl find that out in about six weeks time!

Seenbetter

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:20:15 AM »
Got to agree with AB that the reserves are not the answer. You didnt need to be a seasoned manager to see that the subs made were not up to the job. We were outplayed and I dont think had ONE attempt on their goal that even made their goalie try. The weather was bad to play in but it was the same for both teams. I got the impression when the subs were made that we had already conceded the game, and AB is right when he says the excitement of the last three games has gone and yesterday wont encourage those missing supporters to return and provide the badly needed funds that Mr Newton needs. And its no good saying the young lads need a run out to see what they can do. Just like those that said GD needed time, it was tried and didnt work.
So if we are safe from relegation then the league position doesnt matter now but money in the bank does. If we are going to end the season winding down and giving players a chance then you dont need us because where is the excitement in that. I want to see a full squad of proven players trying to win a game and give the crowd something to cheer about.
Ok, come and get me. I'm behind my wall of sandbags.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
Was going to come on here to have my say but Andy summed it up exactly.

let down by the manager today-- I suggested to him, that he should not make changes to a winning team . I would like to get to 50 points before any messing with the side, but although all the 4 younger lads have some promise, it is quite clear they are not robust enough for the physical nature of bruisers like Bradford. DN must have been frustrated with 851 coming out in that weather to see a non performance like that. Does not encourage others to see the last 3 home games if the manager does things like this.

Hope DG learns quickly from yesterday. I like him and think he can probably do the job for us next year, but he needs strong players probably 7 or 8 new ones to blend in with approx half dozen of existing squad.

Please play the strongest side on Monday otherwise expect more grumbles from the terraces.

ps Andy-- liked the article about Dave Adamson-- not many like that about.

Seenbetter

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »
Good one dt. Well DG got to see how we react to going behind and I didn't even have to break wind to do it, the players did that. Just listened to DGs video and he said we seemed to give up at 2-0 down, As I have said I thought that was obvious by the substitutions. DG was right about the 2nd goal, the ref definitely gave them a helping hand with that one. I hope he is here next season. He interviews well, says it as it is and doesn't waffle to confuse. I also think he could do it for us next season.