Author Topic: managerial appointments over the years that didnt work out  (Read 7970 times)

Maxross

• View Profile
Re: managerial appointments over the years that didnt work out
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »
I agree with you to an extent GHM, but from my understanding travelling is part and parcel of playing NL football.  Players are rarely paid enough to relocate and having secure jobs outside of football makes them reluctant to do so.  Players will always be attracted to the bigger and more succesful clubs and so travel becomes inevitble.  I think therefore, although costs will increase by joining us, the effect probably isn't as large as we might think.

My personal opinion has been for a long time now that we should start putting more faith in our youth products.  I know our youth system is pretty highly regarded these days and in recent seasons we have turned out some really good prospects.  I think they are missing the final stage of development though which is to start having the faith to give them a run in the first team.  Jason Field said recently how far he'd come from playing at Boston Town as "you learn from playing games".  I mention this as we have a regular source of young hungary players at our disposal which are loyal to the club.  Younger players will inevitbly be cheaper, freeing up funds for more experienced squad members, which will have the benefit of helping to guide the younger players.  In the future some may be good enough to make us some cash by being sold on.  This is a big advatage we have over many of our rivals at our level, why dont we start using it?

Lets not forget that when we were in the Football League, that some of our youngsters played for us in the league and did well. Lets also remeber that we used to send them on loan to Blue Square North clubs for experience! Whats changed?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:24:39 PM by Maxross »

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 01:14:03 PM »

My personal opinion has been for a long time now that we should start putting more faith in our youth products.  I know our youth system is pretty highly regarded these days and in recent seasons we have turned out some really good prospects.  I think they are missing the final stage of development though which is to start having the faith to give them a run in the first team.  Jason Field said recently how far he'd come from playing at Boston Town as "you learn from playing games".  I mention this as we have a regular source of young hungary players at our disposal which are loyal to the club.  Younger players will inevitbly be cheaper, freeing up funds for more experienced squad members, which will have the benefit of helping to guide the younger players.  In the future some may be good enough to make us some cash by being sold on.  This is a big advatage we have over many of our rivals at our level, why dont we start using it?

I dont think jason lee or canoville liked giving our youths a chance,they were more for reserves.

I believe  scot and hurst started there preseason matches with 4 of our youths.

aaron butcher, jason field, simon ashton, and shane clancy.

lets hope another 4 or more get a chance next season.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 01:51:41 PM »

I dont think jason lee or canoville liked giving our youths a chance,they were more for reserves.

I believe  scot and hurst started there preseason matches with 4 of our youths.

aaron butcher, jason field, simon ashton, and shane clancy.

lets hope another 4 or more get a chance next season.

Yes I agree progress has definitely been made, but I still don't think we've seen many of our youngsters get a really good run in the side.  I think it would be great if we could see some of our youngsters really establishing themselves as first team players, rather than just under used squad members.  Its going to take a manager to have some faith and take a chance, but I think it could really reap dividends for us going forward.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
Having local youngsters in the side (if they are good enough of course) can also help increase interest in the side locally. I remember when I was in my late teens there were some players that played for Worksop that I went to school with (Ex Pilgrim, Paul Cavell being one of them), as a result I saw a lot more of my school friends at games than previously.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »
The problem is, as I see it, we can't afford to bring in youngsters while we are fighting to stay in the league, sure if and when we are mathematically safe then try out some of the younger players in the remaining games of the season.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »
The problem is, as I see it, we can't afford to bring in youngsters while we are fighting to stay in the league, sure if and when we are mathematically safe then try out some of the younger players in the remaining games of the season.

I agree with you thats why i stated preseason.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 02:24:03 PM »
I agree to an extent, but I also think that half the problem is that we seem incapable of putting faith in our youth team players.  They seem to get frustrated as they are left on the sideline constantly waiting for their chance. The trouble is come pre-season all the talk will be of "getting a good start" and "young players will have to be patient and wait for their chance" and so the cycle goes on.  I actually look at some of the players we have given to this season from other clubs, particularly in the last few months and I'm sure players from within the youth set up coul've done a lot better.

I think if you show faith in young people they will often suprise you.  I remeber when Fergusin got rid of all his old stars back ion the late nineties and replaced them with a load of kids... Giggs, Beckham, Scholes... whatever happened to those lot?

Definitely agree with Finchley Tigers point to, get a few local lads doing well and it will certainly raise interest in the Club with the local population.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »
It would be wonderful to have some local youngsters in the team, but unless they are exceptional it's simply not going to happen, and why, in the main because of expectations

The clubs, the managers and not least the supporters. Whether a club is in the premiership or in our league, though obviously scaled down, the pressure doesn't lessen any, we all want success, and we as fans, and we cant hide from it are as cupable as any. Stick 2,3,4 youngsters in the team and start losing, whilst I would like to think we wouldn't be on the kids backs, as history has proved, we as fans, not just we as Boston fans most certainly would be ripping into the manager for not replacing them with better players and making us zoom up the league

It is an unpalatable side of football but one that exists everywhere and worse over-rides all levels of common sense. Managers are the ones most under pressure and at all levels of football and they are always reticent to play youngsters in front of seasoned pros, or in our case seasoned semi pros, it does't happen

If my memory serves it was Aaron Butchers heroics as a 17,18 year old combined with Riky Millars goals another 18,19 year old that saved us from relegation a few years back so the youngsters are there. But if my fading memory serves me, Scott and Hurst never spoke to Millar and though he signed and even though he was superb in the latter part of that season I dont remember Butcher starting a league game the year after. Like most youngsters he just sat on the bench for a year and for him what a waste of a talent. Wonder what the lad is doing now, someone did tell me but am hanged if I can remember?

Its why finances, even though I am one who remembers when it wasn't the case, play sch an important part of any teams success. The more a club has the easie success is to acquire, and though someone doubted it earlier, i'm sorry if someone is asked to play on the same wages as they are already on, but haveto fork out loads on petrol and worse, certainly as bad spend many hours a week just to get to Boston, the chances are the wuill stay where they are

Wouldn't you? After consideration I am afraid to say I probably would  :-[

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »
To be fair to the Boston support, that youthful Welsh team were given much more time and support than the likes of Bloomer et al.  Back then we were just happy to have a local team, breaking their back for the local team.

Things are different now, we need to move forward and need the mix of experience and youthful enthusiasm to progress the club back up the ladder.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
Graham Hyde to Telford.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 01:46:53 PM »
In my playing days and I believe now, players are paid traveling ex's ,so wages would be clear of traveling costs.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
No idea. I am assuming though its possibl, certainly for those who live a good few miles away?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
In my playing days and I believe now, players are paid traveling ex's ,so wages would be clear of traveling costs.

This was cleared up by the club last week, Players only receive there paycheck and no other costs. I would have as a guess that some wages would reflect travaling