Author Topic: Record low gate on Tuesday night?  (Read 4021 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Record low gate on Tuesday night?
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »
So far the lowest HOME LEAGUE attendance since the war  seems to be the 502 who were at the Altrincham home game on Wednesday 28.4.93 after relegation had been confirmed against Yeovil the weekend previous.

I don't think it will drop quite that low on Tuesday but I think it'll be sub 600, and thats got to reverberate in the boardroom. How long before the average dips below 900 for the 1st time in living memory?

Whatever, I fear for next season unless something drastic happens off the field.

Edit, just seen the 422 v Spennymoor on Thursday 24th April 1997, I'm confident we won't go THAT low!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:45:10 PM by noughtyforties »

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Record low gate on Tuesday night?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
Man Ure v Real on tv wont help either!
but i'll still be there :)

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
Andy, with all due respect (as you know I'm not saying this because I'm a Drury acolyte!) you got what you wanted.... which was Jason Lee's sacking. What do you want to change off the field now? ANOTHER managerial change?

Genuine question, by the way - I'm not being a dick (for once).

EDIT - I actually went to that Spennymoor game! I remember Scott's (I think it was Scott) match report in the Standard saying something along the lines of Boston fans voting with their feet. Dark days indeed. We're not quite there yet in terms of crowds, but this is surely going to rank as one of the worst seasons in many, many years. Certainly the worst I have ever experienced.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:48:41 PM by Pete B »

shorty2kuk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:45:56 PM »
Work for me. Not sure if thats good or bad on yesturdays performance

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
Andy, with all due respect (as you know I'm not saying this because I'm a Drury acolyte!) you got what you wanted.... which was Jason Lee's sacking. What do you want to change off the field now? ANOTHER managerial change?

Genuine question, by the way - I'm not being a dick (for once).

EDIT - I actually went to that Spennymoor game! I remember Scott's (I think it was Scott) match report in the Standard saying something along the lines of Boston fans voting with their feet. Dark days indeed. We're not quite there yet in terms of crowds, but this is surely going to rank as one of the worst seasons in many, many years. Certainly the worst I have ever experienced.

Fair question Pete, yeah I was very vocal in wanting Jason gone and I'll stand by that 100%, things had never got going under him, I felt he lacked inspiration and really never warmed to the challenge.......and thats a shame because as a player I liked him and felt he'd be able to go out and bring quality to the club on the back of his playing career.

I think sacking GD would be very counter productive now, I still think he'll bring a decent level of player to the club, its the wrong time to be getting quality in, at the moment its stop gaps; and before anyone starts I will make the point that the lads who've left were all part of the mediocrity under Jason, they'd had their chance and their inconsistency was shown in the results that saw Jason leave.

There's no hiding from the fact its been pretty grim over the last month or so, but I think that given the summer we'll see a hungrier side than we've had for a couple of seasons........but the sooner this season ends the better!

No doubt this'll backfire on me but there you go!

Funny season that 1996/97 one, we played some excellent stuff under Greg until Xmas or just after and then just fell apart after Steve Williams left.......I'll never forget us bumming Morecambe in the FA Cup (still got the MoTD clip!!!) and the day at Chester, but it really was desperate at the end, I think Pat cut the budget once Leek were out of sight and we ended up with a bunch of lads seeing the season out.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:05:48 PM by noughtyforties »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »
Shows what a thankless task it is being a football club chairman , sack a manager to please a minority of the fans only to find 2months later his replacement sacking is demanded by the majority of fans .

Seenbetter

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
 Yes GHM it is a thankless job. Football managers and players are mercenary because wages make the world go around. Loyalty from them only goes as far as the next pay cheque. I am not criticising them because at the end of the day they want to earne as much as they can while they can, its just that sometimes they take the money under false pretences and can walk away with compensation for screwing things up.
I am very sympathetic to Mr Newtons position, the poor guy is between a rock and a hard place but I do think he was conned.
Anyway I will be there on Tuesday because you never know your luck, we might win.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:07:31 PM by Seeingbetter »

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »
It also comes down to expectations. Was Graham Drury brought in to 'get us into the play-offs' this season or was his appointment all about building for next ? The article below with David Newton is unclear about whether suceess was expected this season but he does say  'We're not looking for a quick fix'.

As disappointing as it is at the moment, we have to try and stay positive, look at the longer term view and have faith in the Chairman's decision to appoint Drury. All football fans want success and want it now but we can't go changing the manager every couple of months. What if we were to get another manager in and the same thing happened again ? Another sacking ? Sack David Newton for making the appointments(s) ?

>>>

GRAHAM Drury's desire and meticulous attention to detail secured him the Boston United manager's job, according to chairman David Newton.

Drury was the first man to be interviewed by Newton and his board last week and stood out above the other five candidates, which included caretaker manager Graham Hyde and ex-Histon boss Dennis Greene.

"Graham's stats compare favourably with the others," said Newton (pictured) of the former Stamford and Corby boss.

"He demonstrated a real desire to work for Boston United and manage at a higher level.

"He gave us a very good overview of how he operates in terms of scouting and his backroom team, which was very impressive.

"He is strict on discipline, which I like, and he has a desire to win, which I share.

"I am more than happy to say Graham is the right man for the job.

"The club's been a bit flat recently and we could have brought in a bigger name to give the club a lift.

"But we're not looking for a quick fix. We want someone who is going to turn things round and get us going in the right direction. I think he is the right man to do that.
"The last time I felt like this it was after we'd interviewed Rob Scott and Paul Hurst."

Newton reiterated that the new manager will have a playing budget fit for a play-off challenge in Blue Square Bet North.

After being sacked a fortnight ago, Jason Lee claimed he only had a "mid-table budget" at his disposal.

"A lot of people ask if we've got the right budget to reach the play-offs," added Newton.

"We didn't talk about the budget during the interview process because that's our business. We'll talk about that with the successful candidate.

"But what we did ask was what they felt the budget needed to be to reach the play-offs.

"All came up with a similar answer and our budget fits in with that.

"We felt we had a play-off budget and that was enforced by the answers we got, which was reassuring."

Read more: http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Graham-Drury-Boston-United-forward-says-chairman/story-17620396-detail/story.html#ixzz2MYQ1cSfz
 Follow us: @ThisisLincs on Twitter | ThisisLincolnshire on Facebook

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 04:54:42 PM »
If anyone's interested, I put that Morecambe Match of the Day clip on Youtube a couple of years ago.

Its here...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU3ov-IL9o8

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 05:40:28 PM »
Brings a tear to the eye John........

We really are absolutely desperate at the moment and yet look what we could be with a bit of sensible management and organisation.......

Can we ever hope to see days like that again?

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
Very good. C'mon you Pilgrims! Was that Uriah Rennie as Ref'? Class  :)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:02:22 PM »
Indeed it was MLF. Wasn't he a mate of Martin Hardy's, playing in that match?