Author Topic: sanctimonious claptrap  (Read 10008 times)

steve m

• View Profile
sanctimonious claptrap
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »
Went to see the game yesterday......it was awful.

The last game was awful.......

It's not just that we don't have anyone who can do something special, or that we appear to have a team full of ordinary players, but what a ridiculous way to set up the team playing at home against a poor side!

One slow frontman with a touch like a donkey, who heads it forward only to discover that his team mates are behind him, no width etc etc.

Why oh why do we play with one up front and a packed midfield....fair enough away from home, but for pity's sake we were at home.

Whitby are hardly the most testing of opponents, in fact they were a VERY poor side.

Then we get all the rubbish on here about "give them time" and "critics are not true supporters"....well I've been a supporter since the halcyon days of Jim Smith and I think we have the most ordinary team I've ever seen and the most boring, defensive tactics imaginable (and that includes the fear based set up adopted by Thompson).

I never thought I'd say it about Boston United, but it's game over for me, until we can see a modicum of entertainment on a Saturday.

For pity's sake Hurst and Scott do something positive at home!!!

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: sanctimonious claptrap
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
Goodbye-don't slam the door on your way out.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
Exactly.....sanctimonious claptrap!

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:34:46 PM »
After not winning all of our games 10-0 i too am never supporting Boston again!

Jesus Christ, just because we dont win a game at home suddenly we are terrible?

In my eyes its never been a better time to be a boston fan, Great owners, great managers and exciting times ahead.

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:44:39 PM »
I'll bet you like watching paint dry and believe everything Gordon Brown says..........

Did you think that was a good performance?

Do you think negative tactics at home are the way to go?

Entertainment would be really cool.....

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
Bring on the dancing girls............. and the jugglers

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:30 PM »

Did you think that was a good performance?

Do you think negative tactics at home are the way to go?

Entertainment would be really cool.....

No it wasnt the greatest but its not like we lost and its still early days.

They selected the tactics which they thought were correct and they know a hell of a lot more about football than you do.

Its not all about "entertainment", H&S work to gain promotion and move this club forward, not just to please you.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 08:08:48 PM »
I for one will not be bailing on a team i support. summit that will never happen.And althou i dont agree with steve m running out the door i do respect the fact that he made that choice instead of degading and knocking confidence out of the team by throwing verbal abuse,hissing and becomming a boo boy.

Sorry to see a fa leave but hope you return one day

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
They picked the team and also decided to play a negative formation at home, not just against Whitby, but every game I've seen.

As I thought there seems to be a strange perception of reality here......I hope that we will once again get back to where we should be (Conference), but our home tactics are grim.....sorry if I expect the team to try to win at home guys........and yes I do expect to be entertained.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 09:31:10 PM »
Steve, did you go to the Hucknall game on BHM? If the answer is yes what about that game did you feel was not entertaining? For me that was a fantastic game of football.

Another game that was entertaining was Nantwich at home last season, would that be more acceptable? I may be way off here but I think you are using the term entertaining when you really mean winning.

As for the Conference comment, we all want to be back there but we don't have a god given right and until we take these teams seriously I believe we'll continue to struggle. The club is now well on the road to recovery but it's going to take time for us to regain our former position. Personally I think it's going to be between 3-5 years before we see conference national football again.

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 09:36:20 PM »
If the entertainment on the pitch isn't up to scratch I usually have a look in the programme. It's guaranteed to entertain. In the latest edition, due to the quiz, I've learned that an anagram of Ryan Giggs is........... Saggy Ring. Robin van Persie............. A Bin Perversion. What more entertainment do you want?

steve m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »
Whilst I'm disappointed when we lose, I'm gutted when we don't set out to go for the win at home.

Have always said that I can forgive losing when we give it all we've got.......what I saw on saturday was a team intent on not losing......there's a big difference.

It is the reason Thompson drove me to distraction and I see big similarities.

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 06:58:02 AM »
and yes I do expect to be entertained.

I stopped kidding myself years ago that I go to watch Boston United for entertainment. Blyth Spartan 5-4 wins and dicking Luton Town 4-3 come round as often as Haleys Comet. Fact is we have been set up not to lose and that's what's happened, we haven't lost like we would have last season. Like our managers I would be lot happier if we were winning our home games but it's not happened. Against Kendal and Whitby our forwards have missed six easy scoring chances they should have put in the net blindfolded. The three away games I've seen we've looked a lot more relaxed when teams have to come at us. If you want entertainment I'll try and get scary Mary to do a half time strip, though you definitely won't set foot in York Street again after such a traumatic sight.

Seenbetter

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
I'm just curious about something. I know about "early days yet" and "we are still gelling" but I would like to ask a question. After just 9 games are we any better now than we were at the beginning? Don't compare with last year just this season so far. I will stick my kneck out and will probably get verbal abuse and hissing and booing but I would say No.
I would like to see a yes/no poll but thats never going to happen on here.

spannerman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 01:23:26 PM »
 I was very impressed pre season , but am of the same opinion that we do not
seem to be improving , i know of a few fringe supporters who have been a couple of times and have stopped due to the poor games .
we can call them and say they are not true supporters but it is the floating 3-400 who will only come to watch a entertaining game and without there money we can not move forward as below 1000 gates will not pay the bills and we are heading that way ?