Author Topic: Does Housham........  (Read 15332 times)

Stanrat

• View Profile
Re: Does Housham........
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
define bigger and better?

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
Great performance from Trinity today to beat a wrexham side unbeaten in 13.

Guess it just wasnt to be. Oh well we shall just have to concentrate on the league now and reaching the playoffs.

That and increasing the gap between us and your joke of an outfit. 1200 fans a week a FL groundand still 11 points behind the counties joke club who also have 4 games in hand.

You lot Embarressed?

I would be!

UTB

Just don't get it do you? Ultimately, points, players, playoffs etc mean nothing when comparing the two outfits.  We're bigger and better, nearly always have been, certainly always will be.

Bold statement there LCB , hope it does,nt come back to bite us.

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
Anybody with money can turn up and make a horrible little club at this level a top side. This however doesn't stop them being a horrible little club

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »

I think your attendance for the FA Trophy semi final, your biggest ever game, makes that argument for us.

Stanrat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
The way it seems from a Trinity fan looking into Boston is as follows:

Boston are now no more than an average BSN club playing in a ground which they do not own, pay extortionate rent on and are struggling to maintain. I believe youhave 5 years left on the lease and are then looking to move to a ground you would ultimately own.

So what will the new ground be like? Well unless you suddenly get an investor with 10 times the spending power of Peter Swann I dont forsee your new ground being much more than the one he anticipated building for Trinity. So we are therefor talking a 4000-5000 capacity with only the required number of seats to make the ground grading criteria installed.

The ground will be out of town and you will therefore lose the "nothing else to do crowd" that may attend on a Saturday.

The ground will need to be financed and whilst your chairman istrying to source funding and partnerships some of the costs will have to come from the football club. Some of your operating revenue will therefore be taken up in paying off this debt.

Your team is withering away and your manager appears to be signing unknowns in desperation of trying to get results and as a result you are sliding further and further down the league table.

So what does all this mean?

In 5 years time (hopefully if you manage to build it) you will be playing in a smaller, more suitable ground not much bigger tahn the Northolme. Your attendances will have dwindelled due to lack of squad investment and a move out of town leaving you with less income yet still huge amounts to pay out in finance. The road to the big time begins to look more and more bleak and you begin to feed on every scrap of success you can get.

It hurts I know, as a trinity fan looking at clubs around us getting success isnt nice but in the end you have to take stock and realise its not where you have come from that is important but where you are going.

Boston need to ditch the "big club" attitude and realise that the sooner they start thinking "Tinpot" the sooner they WILL begin to make the climb back to where you feel you belong

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
enjoy it while you can. You will never be a bigger club than United

Stanrat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
Anybody with money can turn up and make a horrible little club at this level a top side. This however doesn't stop them being a horrible little club

A horrible little club?

What makes you class Trinity as horrible? No other club has a gripe with us.
We admit we have a chairman who spends his money but it is that, his money. If he wishes to waste it on our little club that his choice. We also know he will leaveone day, again that will be his choice but as a football club we will owe nothing to anyone.

On the other hand you could define a horrible club as one which buys success with the money of the tax payer and local businesses.

On the other hand you could define a horrible little club as one wh

Seenbetter

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 11:10:57 AM »
Sorry to have to say this but I find myself agreeing with Stanrats 10.33 post, well almost all of it. Smaller ground outside of town - yes. Financial side - yes. Performance of current manager - yes. Smaller attendances due to current performances -yes.
He failed to mention being unable to keep key players for whatever reasons.
As for the big club attitude, nothing wrong with that, but I fear that may alter with a change of location in time.
We do have a great stadium at this level which encourages the big club attitude but unfortunately the supporter is not being rewarded by the manager or players hes bringing in.
We cannot however criticise Mr Newton whatever he achieves for the club because without his intervention most of us would be travelling North or South 15 miles to see football, or even down Tattershall Road.
I hope for better.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
The way it seems from a Trinity fan looking into Boston is as follows:

Boston are now no more than an average BSN club playing in a ground which they do not own, pay extortionate rent on and are struggling to maintain. I believe youhave 5 years left on the lease and are then looking to move to a ground you would ultimately own.

So what will the new ground be like? Well unless you suddenly get an investor with 10 times the spending power of Peter Swann I dont forsee your new ground being much more than the one he anticipated building for Trinity. So we are therefor talking a 4000-5000 capacity with only the required number of seats to make the ground grading criteria installed.

The ground will be out of town and you will therefore lose the "nothing else to do crowd" that may attend on a Saturday.

The ground will need to be financed and whilst your chairman istrying to source funding and partnerships some of the costs will have to come from the football club. Some of your operating revenue will therefore be taken up in paying off this debt.

Your team is withering away and your manager appears to be signing unknowns in desperation of trying to get results and as a result you are sliding further and further down the league table.

So what does all this mean?

In 5 years time (hopefully if you manage to build it) you will be playing in a smaller, more suitable ground not much bigger tahn the Northolme. Your attendances will have dwindelled due to lack of squad investment and a move out of town leaving you with less income yet still huge amounts to pay out in finance. The road to the big time begins to look more and more bleak and you begin to feed on every scrap of success you can get.

It hurts I know, as a trinity fan looking at clubs around us getting success isnt nice but in the end you have to take stock and realise its not where you have come from that is important but where you are going.

Boston need to ditch the "big club" attitude and realise that the sooner they start thinking "Tinpot" the sooner they WILL begin to make the climb back to where you feel you belong

Thanks for taking the time talk about our club, AGAIN. Starting to think Trinity are obsessed with us.  In fact most of your baseless claims were a cynical attempt to justify your own ill thought out business plan. 

The way it seems to a Boston fan looking in on your club is that you are spending well beyond your means, have had Little to no success despite it, but still spend the majority of your time bragging to Boston and Lincoln fans that you are the future of the county. When your big spending finally yields some success with an achievement of note, your fans come out "in their masses" and swell the home support to 1100.... Wow! All that investment has really paid off, you are making giant strides!!

Gainsborough is a small town which will never be able to support a club much higher than where you are now.  If Anything proves that poiny it was the attendance yesterday, which was a golden opportunity for the people of Gainsborough to step up and show their support. They failed miserably. Ask yourselves this, had the roles been reversed, what kind of support do you think Boston would of had?  The minute Mr Swann withdraws his financial backing you will freefall back to where you are now.  you are the equivent of an economic bubble, your value has been falsely inflated and will eventually burst and find its true value.

What ever you say about the Evans era is fine. In my opinion it's below the belt though as you won't find many, if any pilgrims fans who are not ashamed of it.  One thing you can't deny though is the way the Boston public supported their club during that period and in the years following. When you look at what this club has been through over the last few years the fact we still regularly get double your crowds and exceed some of those in the Conference Prem must "hurt" you and tells me we are still a massive club at this level.  This club still has bags of potential, much more than yours, and when the correct formula is found we will be back on track.

Stanrat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 11:59:24 AM »
So whats your point?

I said in my post did I not that Boston WILL begin to achieve and climb the ladder in the future?

I have also openly stated we rely heavily on Peter Swann.

He has however said that his aim is to make Trinity self sufficient in the future and that in the mean time he will fund the club so that he is able to heighten the profile and attract more investment through sponsorship etc. Can this be achieved, only the future will tell. One thing is for sure however, Trinity will be no worse off as a consequence and we the fans will have some good memories which we otherwise probably wouldnt have had.

I also agree that not many fans of boston are not ashamed of the past. The fact remains however the period which the regime in question were in charge resulted in prosperity and achievements which probably wouldnt have happened otherwise. It was success built on cheating the system. In my opinion a club cheating the system in the way boston did is no different to the way lance armstrong cheated the system and like him had the regime at boston not been caught they would never have admitted it.

Lance has had his achievements stripped from his record yet your club and its supporters seem keen to publicise the success during the period. cake and eating it springs to mind.

Stanrat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
Sorry to have to say this but I find myself agreeing with Stanrats 10.33 post, well almost all of it. Smaller ground outside of town - yes. Financial side - yes. Performance of current manager - yes. Smaller attendances due to current performances -yes.
He failed to mention being unable to keep key players for whatever reasons.
As for the big club attitude, nothing wrong with that, but I fear that may alter with a change of location in time.
We do have a great stadium at this level which encourages the big club attitude but unfortunately the supporter is not being rewarded by the manager or players hes bringing in.
We cannot however criticise Mr Newton whatever he achieves for the club because without his intervention most of us would be travelling North or South 15 miles to see football, or even down Tattershall Road.
I hope for better.

At least you have the ability to view the bigger picture and accept that the future of your club will probably be alot different.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 01:28:30 PM »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »

Very difficult !!
Boston have a great non-league stadium but the cost is a millstone .  The club cannot afford to stop there AND pay top wages .   A move and a settling in period will define how big a club we are .

Trinity ?   Not so clear cut .   Like us revolves around your ground issue.
               To sell or not to sell is the first step ,  where do you stand on this Stan ?

Stanrat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
Agreed defining bigger and better is difficult.

I cant be based on past achievement alone as that would give reason to suggestion that sheffield wednesdays 4 league titles makes them bigger than man city with 2 or Nottingham Forests 2 Euro champions cups making them bigger than all English clubs bar Liverpool and Man Utd and we all know that not to be true.

Average attendance could also be a key factor but that is also attributed to past glories dependant on how recent. It is also dependant on local population and proximity of other football clubs further up the league pyramid.

Personally I would put it down to 2 things:
1. the ability to draw investment from outside of the club in the form of sponsorship etc
2. recent results taking into account standard of opposition.

I would say Boston are definately attracting more investment from outside of the club. This is helped by having Craig working full time heightening the profile of the club. This is something Trinity could learn, and are learningfrom.

Recent results if we are brutally honest have to favour Trinity. It has been nearly 6 seasons since Boston were relegated form the football league and kicked out of the conference. They did well to return as quickly as they did but since then they have stalled. Trinity have however, using the money ploughed in by their chairman, finally built a team who are pushing for the play offs for a 2nd successive season and narrowly missed out on a trophy final place.

I would conclude therefore that in terms of current stature outside of the immediate locality of either club, that Gainsborough and Boston are currently seen as on a par by those who keep an eye on the non league game. You may agree you may disagree but that is me trying to look at things objectively rose tinted glasses removed.

With regards to your comments about grounds Boston currently pay a huge sum for use of York Street and this is preventing them from moving forward. That situation will no doubt ease with the building of a new ground but that in itself will bring about other debts. Trinity are in a difficult situation. The ground is owned by the supporters club and as such pay only a small amount in rent by comparison (10k as opposed to your 70k). We are however not receiving any revenue from match day refreshment. The snack bar profits and those from the bar go into the supporters club coffers and not those of the club. This is the main reson for Peter Swann wanting to buy the ground, so the club can generate the additional revenue for themselves.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
Did Trinity really only attract 1200 fans today? Seriously??

They really are shit, aren't they?
"1,193 home/neutral/away in home areas and 844 away"
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/