Author Topic: Silk leaves  (Read 12638 times)

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
Re: Silk leaves
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 08:22:46 AM »
Any breach of contract renders it null and void, refusing to train on a Thursday would be a breach of contract. I would say that both parties agreed to terminate or Silk would still be here. One thing Mr Newton is careful about is his money.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
Why keep releasing contracted players?

Payoffs usually equate to ( minimum) 50% of outstanding contract, and that's if players agree           ( otherwise 100%)
Add to that the (albeit lower) wage of new signings, and there is not much of a saving on the balance sheet.
Good to get rid of disruptive/ crap/ useless players, but essentially if you give out 12 month contracts, then you are stuck with them.
Better to let them try harder towards the end of the season, to try to earn contracts elsewhere, whilst the manager is targetting new players for next seasons challenge
50% is rubbish mate do not know where you heard that. think you find most at this level cancel there contract for a couple of weeks wages.
Oh we will all be suprised but he was not on contract so would not have needed a pay off

Why would they? 
No point in contract if it only takes two weeks notice. The 50% is standard terms and conditions.
Agents, and PFA still control even at this level. The following report suggests he signed a 12month deal

Boston United
In July 2012 he joined Lincoln City on trial.[6] In August he signed a one year deal with Jason Lee's Boston United.[7] Following a managerial change at the club, new United boss Graham Drury released Silk on 12 February 2013 after his university commitments had prevented him from training on thursday nights. Drury added "I need all my players to train on thursday nights". Silk played 26 times for The Pilgirms and made his final appearance against local rivals Gainsborough Trinity.
I seem to remember a similar thing written about Jones re: a 1 year deal and it turned out he was non-contract so it may be that Silk was the same. Or it could be a breach as others have pointed out, can't see us paying loads out (i.e. 50%) to get him off the wage bill.

As far as his release goes he was steady but I thought he got caught out way too many times upfield and cost us a fair amount of goals. He came with a big reputation but imo Connor Marshall has looked better in that position this season so not fussed he's been released.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »
Dont think we missed Silk on Saturday.Mayo looks a class player whos played at a good level!