Author Topic: Boston United chairman aims to submit new stadium plans within six months  (Read 5779 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile

DAVID NEWTON admits moving Boston United to a new stadium is proving "very difficult" but still hopes to submit a planning application in the next six months, writes Leigh Curtis.

The Pilgrims only have five years left on their current lease at the Jakeman's Stadium owned by the club's former chairman Pat Malkinson.
 They will have to leave their home of more than 80 years.Pilgrims chairman Newton says he is working hard to find the club a new site and has one in mind.

But the funding for the project is proving an obstacle, although he will still press ahead with a planning application.

"We are working on moving, but it is very difficult to do," said Newton, who runs property firm, Chestnut Homes.

"We are at the point where I think we can see how to deliver it, but funding it is a different matter entirely.

"We have had talks Boston Borough Council, but we will still press ahead to put a planning application within, hopefully, six months.

"It is slow progress and much of that is to do with the current financial climate.

"Not only that, we are also snowed under with other business."

Read more: http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Boston-United-chairman-aims-submit-new-stadium/story-18059667-detail/story.html#ixzz2K6rFeBWd
Follow us: @ThisisLincs on Twitter | ThisisLincolnshire on Facebook

Old Pilgrim

• View Profile

I think if Target looked a bit more into this they might find the ground is owned by Pat AND Steve Malkinson!

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
I wonder if Dave and Neil are losing a bit of heart, certainly hope they aren't but who could blame them.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
but who could blame them.

errrrr I think I would!   :bunny

The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
I could have sworn the Chairman, Mr Newton stated in the local press that the planning application was to be submitted in early 2012.  Maybe he was looking at the wrong page on his calendar?

An indiscrete "insider" (so not Gus)  source who spoke to one of my little spy elves recently confirmed that the development was to include a hotel, and that the hotel operator had pulled out. I was not aware that "Hilton" were looking for a hotel in Boston or am I mixing up the Chairmen?  :-\ :o
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Hotel chain had pulled out. Your source would have been the standard about 2 months ago then

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Nope my source was not the Standard.  It would not be news if splashed all over the paper (or would it!)  doh!    :dan

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Why go on about something that everyone read about 2 month ago then

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Is this article the same as Scott Daltons interview on Saturday night?

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
No It Aint KN. This was from about 2 month back

Seenbetter

Re: Boston United chairman aims to submit new stadium plans within six months
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:33:36 PM »
I seem to recall hearing such a story at least 2 months ago. Last week folk were saying that the land had already been purchased after I put a cheeky comment on here about ground sharing. When did Mr Newton actually declare the land had been purchased, I missed that bit. So if he has bought it and does not getting planning permission for his football plans I presume he will try to get permission for residential use. Has he considered using some land like Westwood fishing lakes to produce extra income.

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »
No It Aint KN. This was from about 2 month back

If you click on the link you will see that it published 6 Feb 2013.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 09:57:07 AM »
It was reported over 2 month ago and i was sure it was throu one of the rags. Unless i new something i was not suppose to say or know. Also the selected sites is one of 2 locations. Both these location are owned by Chestnut homes Land ltd.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
It was reported over 2 month ago and i was sure it was throu one of the rags. Unless i new something i was not suppose to say or know. Also the selected sites is one of 2 locations. Both these location are owned by Chestnut homes Land ltd.
It was reported, which was taken from the fans forum in December set up to talk to the new manager. I wasn't able to attend the meeting so remember the articles quite well.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
History seems to be repeating itself here.

To afford a new stadium - no longer grounds? - we need a hotel/retail tie-in, nothing new there then. Current climate or not that is difficult, Boston is not Hilton territory for one, or corporate hospitality either and the town is awash with supermarkets.

So I don't know where the funding is coming from.... wasn't convinced then and not convinced now.

As I understand it Newton's plan was always to build a new ground then hand it over the club to a supporter's trust.
Is that still the plan?