Author Topic: Let go ..........  (Read 7273 times)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Let go ..........
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
and enjoy .    Sense things are looking up for next season . :)
Rumours suggest that Pat Rayment has left Spalding , if true maybe the money has run out . :(
If so this is one less big spender to compete with next season . :)
Trinity will get promoted and will therefore poach Imps players instead of ours  :)

Seenbetter

Re: Let go ..........
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
I hope Trinity do get promoted this year. Just imagine the pleasure WE will have next year watching them crash and burn  and if Swann does leave, go bust  and lose all their players.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:09:44 PM »
If we're competing with Spalding for players it really is proof we've reached our nadir....... :-\

But hopefully Gainsborough will get bummed in the Conference and come back down in abject shame, there's no interest in the town for a football club playing at that level and promotion will prove that. In 3 years they'll be back to lower mid table Conference North.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
Nadir? Andy:) first time I've seen that word on here. But you are right of course.

I've not seen any rumours but are the Imps looking for a new ground?

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
Nothing would surprise me, thats a very tidy parcel of land that Sincil Bank sits on. It must cover an area 3 or 4 times what York St sits on and I don't claim to be an expert but I'm sure real estate prices in Lincoln are somewhat higher than in Boston.

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:41:19 PM »
If we're competing with Spalding for players it really is proof we've reached our nadir....... :-\

But hopefully Gainsborough will get bummed in the Conference and come back down in abject shame, there's no interest in the town for a football club playing at that level and promotion will prove that. In 3 years they'll be back to lower mid table Conference North.

Thanks for that vote of confidence   

Boston,           local pop 64 600 (2011 census). Average crowd 2012/13 - 848.   

Gainsborough, local pop 20 110.                       Average crowd 2012/13 - 530

Interest per populous?...... Well you do the maths

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »
Boston population should be nearer 80000

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 11:11:29 PM »
and enjoy .    Sense things are looking up for next season . :)
Rumours suggest that Pat Rayment has left Spalding , if true maybe the money has run out . :(
If so this is one less big spender to compete with next season . :)
Trinity will get promoted and will therefore poach Imps players instead of ours  :)

Perhaps Pat will give a bit of money to support G D, I understand they know each other and Pat is a fan of Drury!  8)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:36:40 PM »

Gainsborough, local pop 20 110.                       Average crowd 2012/13 - 530

Yes but a key point you have ommitted is the fortunes of our clubs. 

In the past few years you have had a chairman who has thrown money at every money grabbing journeyman going, an ex premiership manager and every half decent player of ours he can get his grubby little hands on.  For the lavish outlay he has finally in the last two years brought you two successive play off pushes with an appearance in th final last year I believe and now a run at the trophy.  Well done, I'm happy for you and wish you well.

In contrast here at Boston we have lost our league status whilst finding ourselves pariahs thanks to the actions of a man who's name I won't mention.  We then face the indignity of being demoted a league so essentially a double relegation.  One season later and still happy to have a club we then find ourselves demoted again.  We had a brief respite of modest success followed by underachievement and mediocrity for the past season and a half.

But guess what? We still got significantly higher attendances than you every season.  And if we had a decent tilt at the playoffs we'd be back to at least double your average. 

I wouldn't get too excited, let's face it, this is about as good as its been for you in the past 50 years and you've paid through the nose for it. You are only averaging 500 odd.  As a club who've always been used to being in the mix we've had a period of being in the relative wilderness and almost lost our club, and still getting 800 odd.

Having worked in Gainsborough last year I can tell you no one I worked with knew the local club were in the play offs and most shockingly, didnt care when I told them. I take my hat off to Mr Swann for what he's doing for his local club (although i don't respect his methods), but he's fighting an up hill battle.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 11:51:28 PM »
And a few figures as you seem to like them:

Boston away following at Wrexham, distance 145 miles, for relegation decider and given a standing ovation by wrexham fans at the end of the game

approx 500 (or gainsboroughs average home gate)

Boston away attendance at Hayes for title decider in a televised match:

Approx 3000 in contrast to approx 300 home fans

Boston attendance on 1985 FA Trophy final

Approx 13000 (it would take Gainsborough roughly 26 home matches to be watched by this many)

As you say, the Boston population aren't very interested in watching the club...

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 01:24:15 AM »
The figure that stays in my mind for the Wrexham away game is 687, maybe someone can confirm?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:57:32 AM »

The figure that stays in my mind for the Wrexham away game is 687, maybe someone can confirm?

I reckon the figure of 687 would have been about right.

• 687 Boston United supporters can be bothered to travel approximately 150 miles to Wrexham
  • 26 Gainsborough supporters can be bothered to travel approximately 54 miles to Boston for the "local derby" game on a Boxing Day

Steelihat, you do the maths and then try and argue that there's more interest in your club than ours .....

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »
I think a better observation would be over the last 20 years since 1992 when we came out of the Conference and down into the NPL. For probably 10 of those 20 years we've been in the same division so a better comparison can be made.

However, I know who's going to be portrayed as the bigger, better supported club, even though by their standards they were in the doldrums......

I'll provide the attendance figures from our end, steelihat can dig them out from the massive club and prove me wrong....... ;)

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/attend.gif

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »
The thing is I very much doubt we are. I've seen someone on here suggest that Spalding pay £1500 pw according to a fellow Unibond manager, I've also seen someone else suggest £2500. If that's more than we pay then I'd say we pay less than all the Conf North and most of the Unibond.

I think this is one of those things that are said that much it becomes a reality, like Evans being banned from managing in the Conference for 10 years which was bandied around whilst we were in the FL. Despite this fact that everyone just believed he managed Crawley on our return to NL.

Or maybe like the fact we can't get promoted to Conf National, despite the league we now play in being under the same administration. Some believe it's because the ground lease isn't long enough and have asked this question many times on this forum. I've put links to ground grading loads of times and it still gets asked every 6 months or so. It also gets asked at every fans forum, unveiling of managers etc. yet at the next one is still asked. Why, because people believe unsubstantiated gossip, like we pay less than Spalding.

The sum talked about doesn't tally in with figures I've been told former managers and players were paid so who's to say which rumour is wrong?

Steelihat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 12:08:31 PM »

Yes but a key point you have ommitted is the fortunes of our clubs. 

In the past few years you have had a chairman who has thrown money at every money grabbing journeyman going, an ex premiership manager and every half decent player of ours he can get his grubby little hands on.  For the lavish outlay he has finally in the last two years brought you two successive play off pushes with an appearance in th final last year I believe and now a run at the trophy.  Well done, I'm happy for you and wish you well.

In contrast here at Boston we have lost our league status whilst finding ourselves pariahs thanks to the actions of a man who's name I won't mention.  We then face the indignity of being demoted a league so essentially a double relegation.  One season later and still happy to have a club we then find ourselves demoted again.  We had a brief respite of modest success followed by underachievement and mediocrity for the past season and a half.

But guess what? We still got significantly higher attendances than you every season.  And if we had a decent tilt at the playoffs we'd be back to at least double your average. 

I wouldn't get too excited, let's face it, this is about as good as its been for you in the past 50 years and you've paid through the nose for it. You are only averaging 500 odd.  As a club who've always been used to being in the mix we've had a period of being in the relative wilderness and almost lost our club, and still getting 800 odd.

Having worked in Gainsborough last year I can tell you no one I worked with knew the local club were in the play offs and most shockingly, didnt care when I told them. I take my hat off to Mr Swann for what he's doing for his local club (although i don't respect his methods), but he's fighting an up hill battle.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Brian Little certainly screwed the club over, with has been journeymen on their final pay days, but that was through incompetence on his part, rather than malice.

Our clubs are similar in the fact that they are both controlled by millionaire chairmen, and have been ridiculed by dubious management appointments. Our chairman is continuing to invest in the club, yours is managing the situation.

We should both be thankful for their continued support.

Our chairman has stated that our budget has been reduced by 45% since BL, and accounts show this. Your chairman stated that your budget is in the top five for the division. Chester, Guiseley, Halifax, and Brackley should be the four biggest........

Think you have made a mistake with Mark Jones, he should have had a contract, and even at the last minute still wasn't offered one, or maybe he doesn't like Drury or his tactics

Would like to know where you worked in Gainsborough, distinct lack of industry, and people who work here hang on to their jobs, and the playoffs were the talk of the town. The queues for tickets v Nuneaton snaked through the town, and were a sell out. Think that bit of your post will be taken with a pinch of salt
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 12:16:35 PM by Steelihat »