Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Today  (Read 8301 times)

Lee Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Colwyn Bay Today
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:26 AM »
Wasn't the best spectacle yesterday. We played we and dominated for the last 20mins of the first half, a fairly scrappy affair apart from that.

The clean sheet was deserved and we fairly solid for the first time in a long time. The back four as a whole played well with Watt and Ward looking like a solid partnership, the new man Foster had an ok debut and provided that much needed cover in front of the back four.

Not convinced on the 4-3-3 formation, we had no width at all. I'd go back to 4-4-2 next match with newsham on the left and Smith on the right with Milnes dropping to the bench. Or stick Ross on the wing in a 'David Beckham' type role.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:07:37 PM by Lee Newell »

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »
yeah yesterday was certainly better,noone can argue with that, but two things, it couldn't get any worse after tuesday could it and while three poins is all that matters theyare surely as bad a team, maybe hinkley apart as any in the league, so not sure really how to weigh the game up, a win is a win thoigh
We lost to Hinkley though!

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »
thas true, but it was a different era back then! ;D

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
thas true, but it was a different era back then! ;D
A weeks a long time in football :)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
As said CB were a very poor team and we will  need to improve on this peformance .  Most of us said Lee left us 3 players short of a decent team , now GD has brought these players are there signs of improvement ?  early days but at the moment no .   Thought Watt brought stability to the defence yesterday ,   Smith ?  after a good first game he has performed like a player who could not nail down a place in a mid-table UNI Prem side . easy to see why Ilkeston were keen to release him !!!
Foster to be fair was no worse than the rest of the midfield which overall was poor , if this judgement is unfair then what was the cause of another poor perfomance ?
At the moment I fear the names in GDs reputed black book may just be talk .

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
Let's be realistic. The majority of the budget is used up by the contracted players. That meaning there's little room for change at this time. The lads who have gone (stokes and k.smith) will be I imagine earning very little so you can't bring in the required quality for that money. That said i think watt and foster have been very good additions.

In my opinion Jl used his budget to assemble a very unbalanced side and that will take time and money to put right. The summer is when major change will happen and we will hopefully see the a lot of the (costly) underachievers leave to make way for a team capable of performing consistently.

Also I spoke to Paul Holden briefly yesterday when he was in the Spain road stand before the game and he was saying that he feels he will make us the fittest team in the league which would go along way to helping us challenge.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
Looks to me Shauneyg you are not going along with GDs "top five "finish . 
Pre -match on bbc lincs Drury stated that if players do not perform they will be out and replaced , maybe a case of talking before thinking again , if its not possible to move them on at the moment.
Hope Paul fullfils his promise on fitness .   When I spoke to him I suggested our return from set-pieces was poor and he should work on improvement in that area .

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »
Your quite right about our return from set pieces so lets hope we improve in that area also.

As much as I would love us to finish in the top 5 I would say that is highly unlikely but you certainly have to have that ambition and aim to finish in there at this stage.

As for drury stating that he would replace players, I think he may have meant longer term as he didn't put a timescale on the changes from what I heard and its difficult with the majority on contract. I would think he knows who he would like to keep next season and what he needs to add to have a real go at promotion.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »
Notice no one has moaned about long ball at yesterdays game, why? Because there wasn't any. All that panic and hysteria about the long ball game based on ONE game.

Now the moan is about how we struggled against a poor team. For me they where better than their position suggests, not great but wouldn't say they were much worse than Harrogate, Corby or Oxford City.

Played some decent passing football yesterday, surprised  ::) no ones mentioned that  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
As said CB were a very poor team and we will  need to improve on this peformance .  Most of us said Lee left us 3 players short of a decent team , now GD has brought these players are there signs of improvement ?  early days but at the moment no .   Thought Watt brought stability to the defence yesterday ,   Smith ?  after a good first game he has performed like a player who could not nail down a place in a mid-table UNI Prem side . easy to see why Ilkeston were keen to release him !!!
Foster to be fair was no worse than the rest of the midfield which overall was poor , if this judgement is unfair then what was the cause of another poor perfomance ?
At the moment I fear the names in GDs reputed black book may just be talk .

Abit harsh on the new Lad GHM and only just signed and It will take abit of time for him to get use to this league again, do not agree with the way Drury goes about matters at times, but he has added an Experienced centre half and midfielder of the right style, JL struggled to solve these problems in a far greater length of time.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:26:57 PM by BosLeake »

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
I sat behind the dugout yesterday and thought GD conducted himself well. Yes he had a moan at the ref on a couple of occasions, but so did most people around us. In the 90 minutes I personally didn't hear any bad language, he showed passion and a desire to win which in my book is no bad thing.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »
Notice no one has moaned about long ball at yesterdays game, why? Because there wasn't any. All that panic and hysteria about the long ball game based on ONE game.

Now the moan is about how we struggled against a poor team. For me they where better than their position suggests, not great but wouldn't say they were much worse than Harrogate, Corby or Oxford City.

Played some decent passing football yesterday, surprised  ::) no ones mentioned that  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

isnt it amazing how opinmions differ, though we were crap against Harrogate, i thought they were a decent team with somereally decent players but i thought CB were really pants

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 09:43:21 AM »
Your quite right about our return from set pieces so lets hope we improve in that area also.

As much as I would love us to finish in the top 5 I would say that is highly unlikely but you certainly have to have that ambition and aim to finish in there at this stage.

As for drury stating that he would replace players, I think he may have meant longer term as he didn't put a timescale on the changes from what I heard and its difficult with the majority on contract. I would think he knows who he would like to keep next season and what he needs to add to have a real go at promotion.

Had a chat with paul holden, insight to what drury says and means....are you sure you aren't related..........! ;D

Only joking!! ;D