Author Topic: hysteria...  (Read 4767 times)

woad_pilgrim

hysteria...
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »
...is what we are seeing from a large % of fans based on one (extremely) bad performance and result. Everyone needs to get a grip with all this doom and gloom, I'm not saying GD is the saviour but he must be given time before being judged.

Seenbetter

Re: hysteria...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »
I think you are right WP. I'm sure WE ALL want the best for the club but are using this forum to vent our innermost concerns and immediate thoughts about events. That is what the forum is for. Unfortunately there isn't a lot for folks to jump up and cheer about. Perhaps the answer is to stop all posts for a month and then reopen the forum to give things a chance to develope. We can always log onto the official site to see whats happening at the club.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »
I'm talking about things like this:

People really do make me laugh. We need to support the club. Last nights match just showed how short we are from challenging for play offs. Clear out needed to bring in fresh faces and that is impossible until the summer with contracted players.

A month ago we were short of form, a team capable of the playoffs but ultimately going to fall short.  Last night we were just short, way, way short of anything close to a poor team that were there for the taking.  Organised but that was all.  Simple things we were getting right are going so very wrong now.

At the moment on 1 thing has changed in the past month.

Prove me wrong
Where LCB is usually quite balanced in his view I find this bizarre. JL's last game we had 0 shots at Gloucester  and where outplayed by a team much worse than Harrogate. Yet under JL we where "out of form" but under Drury LCB goes on to speak of us getting relegated.

That's just one example.

I know long ball isn't as easy on the eye but I don't think results and performances as a whole have been any different under either manager...

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:23:58 PM »
I was indifferent to jl staying or goin until the end when i just wanted him out. I dont get why some poeple seem to have such a problem with the new manager. Now say he changes every player and we are still mid table then i can see a problem. But the only way we could no this is in a years time. So in the mean time i think we should all get behind him.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
I was indifferent to jl staying or goin until the end when i just wanted him out. I dont get why some poeple seem to have such a problem with the new manager. Now say he changes every player and we are still mid table then i can see a problem. But the only way we could no this is in a years time. So in the mean time i think we should all get behind him.
I was the same at the end with JL big M, up until those last 4 or 5 games I had been right behind him.

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
Don't think that GD helps himself with some of his comments tbh, but will be interested how the new signings go on, as BU fans we wish him the best :)

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »
Don't think that GD helps himself with some of his comments tbh, but will be interested how the new signings go on, as BU fans we wish him the best :)

I can understand people being fedup after some of the performances at home we have endured this season.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:13:49 PM by BosLeake »

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »

People really do make me laugh. We need to support the club. Last nights match just showed how short we are from challenging for play offs. Clear out needed to bring in fresh faces and that is impossible until the summer with contracted players.

A month ago we were short of form, a team capable of the playoffs but ultimately going to fall short.  Last night we were just short, way, way short of anything close to a poor team that were there for the taking.  Organised but that was all.  Simple things we were getting right are going so very wrong now.

Prove me wrong
Where LCB is usually quite balanced in his view I find this bizarre. JL's last game we had 0 shots at Gloucester  and where outplayed by a team much worse than Harrogate. Yet under JL we where "out of form" but under Drury LCB goes on to speak of us getting relegated.

That's just one example.

I know long ball isn't as easy on the eye but I don't think results and performances as a whole have been any different under either manager...

Just calling it as I see it. 

If long ball is how we're going, we're in for a rough ride while the likes of Fairclough, SWD, Newsham and Milnes are moved on.  Non of those players are capable of wearing down an opposition with the big Howitzer into the box.  And long ball is usually built on a solid, consistent back four that do nothing else until a set play, we're well short in that department too.  It's also not that I dislike the Long Ball, there's a time and a place and I admire Stoke as much as Barcelona on their game.

Under Jason we always looked 1 or 2 pieces of the jigsaw away from mounting an assault and were very often easy on the eye even in appalling defeats.

Tuesday night was a very rude awakening that we now appear 5/6/7 pieces of jigsaw away from mounting an assault the way the arms were being waved on the sidelines. The players worked their socks off on Tuesday, and we still looked clueless.  First time I can ever remember, feeling like going home at halftime.  I've watched LDV vans (or what ever it was) games, Reserve games and Tommy Taylors shower home and away for over 15 years now and I don't recall ever feeling like not watching the second half or righting a season off.

Might be a over reaction, but that's how it felt as I contemplated going home.  Bit of a hipocrite really as I've often advocated mid table being ok and not a reason to stop going and enjoying football.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
Wasn't having a dig LCB just usually find myself agreeing with most of your comments but this seemed out of line with most of your posts. That word if is the key word, if it's going to be long ball, don't think that's a given think GD may have just been trying something different. Against Oxford and Corby it wasn't particularly any more long ball than under JL who also used to mix it up.

If we do go long ball then yeah we need to move almost the entire squad on, the midfield isn't strong enough for that game and the forwards are too small.

I was of that same opinion that we where only a couple of players short, but we've been just a couple of players short in the whole of Jason's reign. In the end JL's team looked no better than 18 months ago.

Funny how everyone slates Tommy Taylor's side on here now, what I remember TT's side played much more football than any Boston side I have watched (almost 30 years on and off), certainly more than JL's side yet you praise Lee's side even when they are beat, seems to contradict itself. TT's side when playing well mauled some teams, I remember those 6 odd thrashings of Kidsgrove and the like in the cup yet a couple of years later Kidsgrove turned us over. Oh well each to there own but for me TT's side was much better than JL's side.

spannerman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
First couple of games I liked the style  but we seem to have gone off the boil could this be that we only have half the management team at the moment , I hope when our number 2 is fit again we will start on the right track so let's have a bit of faith , I know after tuesdays show it will be hard but that's all part of suporting bufc
  :) :) :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:30:29 PM by spannerman »

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 12:05:05 AM »
The way I see it, is for the first 20 minutes we did actually try and play football, I thought we were passing the ball around well without really creating anything. As soon as Harrogate scored that was it, heads dropped, we stopped playing football and started hoofing it. We ran out of ideas on how to break a team down who closed us down very quickly, gave us little space. So what do we do? Hit it long.
I think the squad are currently very low on confidence at the moment which GD has to sort out asap.

A couple of wins and supporters getting behind the players and manager will help achieve this.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

The Big M

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 09:09:24 AM »
The way I see it, is for the first 20 minutes we did actually try and play football, I thought we were passing the ball around well without really creating anything. As soon as Harrogate scored that was it, heads dropped, we stopped playing football and started hoofing it. We ran out of ideas on how to break a team down who closed us down very quickly, gave us little space. So what do we do? Hit it long.
I think the squad are currently very low on confidence at the moment which GD has to sort out asap.

A couple of wins and supporters getting behind the players and manager will help achieve this.

Good post that beefpilgrim I agree a side that does seem to play on confidence. And really doesn't like people getting on there backs

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 09:14:11 AM »
First couple of games I liked the style  but we seem to have gone off the boil could this be that we only have half the management team at the moment , I hope when our number 2 is fit again we will start on the right track so let's have a bit of faith , I know after tuesdays show it will be hard but that's all part of suporting bufc
  :) :) :)

i am surprised this hasn't actually been discussed in any detail before, maybe it is the fact that he hasn't got a coach with him which is exactly the problem, maybe, especiaslly after watching tuesday nights game its not his management credentials or nous we should question or be looking at all but the possible lack of coaching credentials?

there are many who are great managers but not great coaches the gsme is littered with them, maybe we will have to wait until HOlden returns before we see the team playing with the commitment drury wants combined with a better style of football we will all want,

and of course before we start playing like barcelona!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »
Don,t think you have to be a decent coach to figure out if you play hoofball you dont leave a big striker on the bench and put two small strikers on the pitch .

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »

Prove me wrong

That's just one example.

Just calling it as I see it. 

If long ball is how we're going, we're in for a rough ride while the likes of Fairclough, SWD, Newsham and Milnes are moved on.  Non of those players are capable of wearing down an opposition with the big Howitzer into the box.  And long ball is usually built on a solid, consistent back four that do nothing else until a set play, we're well short in that department too.  It's also not that I dislike the Long Ball, there's a time and a place and I admire Stoke as much as Barcelona on their game.

Under Jason we always looked 1 or 2 pieces of the jigsaw away from mounting an assault and were very often easy on the eye even in appalling defeats.

Tuesday night was a very rude awakening that we now appear 5/6/7 pieces of jigsaw away from mounting an assault the way the arms were being waved on the sidelines. The players worked their socks off on Tuesday, and we still looked clueless.  First time I can ever remember, feeling like going home at halftime.  I've watched LDV vans (or what ever it was) games, Reserve games and Tommy Taylors shower home and away for over 15 years now and I don't recall ever feeling like not watching the second half or righting a season off.

Might be a over reaction, but that's how it felt as I contemplated going home.  Bit of a hipocrite really as I've often advocated mid table being ok and not a reason to stop going and enjoying football.

Just watched the highlights as I didn't go.  Who was meant to be playing in the middle of the park?  In the whole 10 minute reel I don't think I saw a central midfielder or defender.   Maybe if Silk had shown a bit of fight earlier on we'd have got something out of the game. Felt the need to quote my overreaction after 2 games under GHD.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.