Author Topic: Drury GO NOW  (Read 15900 times)

Shauneyg

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Drury GO NOW
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
I would be willing to meet anyone who is accusing me of being involved with Drury. Sick and tired of people making false accusations.

BosstickPilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
Perhaps instead of slating graham everyone should get behind him. He inherited the team from JL. He has only been here a few weeks - you cannot change a poor team overnight. Give him a break - it is pretty obvious that the ones who have asked for graham's head are Lee supporters. Lee was a nice bloke - but nice blokes don't always make the best managers. :dan

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:57 PM »
Amazing that most of the happy clappers at the start of the season said the team was good! After a bad run of results they blame JL.Then we get a different manager and now the team isnt good enough!

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
agree with you on that kon. I dont know what rubbish he told the board in interview, he needs to show us something rather than the same old crap. To be honest its quite embarrassing watching him twat about on the sidelines. Maybe the tactics is the job of holden thats why we havent got a clue at the minute?? 

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »
Feel sorry for Dave Newton! About time he had some luck.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
Can't disagree on tactics and the signings so far have not inspired me. But you can't seriously be suggesting we sack him after 5 games?! That said, one of you is called Chelsea....

Every manager it's the same thing, you have got to give people a chance.
As far as signings go agree to a degree on Jordan Smith, hasn't really improved on what we had with Stokes/Smith but I wouldn't say he's played any worse based on the few games he's played. Watt I thought did well on his debut, better than Stainsfield or Ward did on there's and they have become decent cb's.

I'd say with both it's way too early to judge as to whether they are going to be good signings or not.

As far as tactics, whilst they didn't work how does anyone know what will work or not without trying? Perhaps GD has thought what has been tried so far hasn't and gave the long ball game a punt. Not a fan of it but if it had got us a result then there would have been no complaints from me. Personally don't think we should play that way with the current personnel as they are not suited, but GD will figure out what works (for him) and not whatever we think.

I'm happier for us to try different things now to get to the best system ans style for the start of next season than get there and still not know.

Yes I agree, I've got no problem with the long ball game at all, I just think with the personnel at the club its not going to work at the moment.  Personally I think if you're going to play long ball you need a big target man in the mould of a Mickey Nuttel or Jason Lee to compete with the opposition centre halves.  Guys like Weir-Daley and Newsham, whilst trying hard, aren't suited to that style and end up getting bullied.  I felt that bringing on Jones was the turning point against Oxford a few weeks ago, he was able to bring a few long balls down and bring in our midfielders and wingers. That lead to us creating a lot more chances and eventually winning comfortably.  Of course, if we play a target man it won't be long until the usual suspects are moaning that he isnt scoring enough goals for a striker.  Also, on the occasions we played the ball through the midfield in that game, we looked a lot more dangerous than the hit and hope stuff.

On the signings front, I guess I was uninspired as I was hoping "experienced centre back" would mean us bringing in a Alan White type player.  I've got no problem with Watt, I just feel he's not much more experienced than than the players we already have in that position.  We probably dont have the funds for that type of player, which is a shame as I think players like Ward, Stainsfield or Watt would really flourish playing alongside an older head talking them through the game.  I was impressed with Smith in spells, but he seems to have a tendancy to drift out of games.  When he's got the ball at his feet he looks exciting at times, I think its a case of judging him in a month or two's time as you say. 

I'm personally fully behind the new manager, I think he's got a tough job on his hands as Jason Lee had before.  We have a "top sixish" budget in David Newton's words, with fans expecting a title push.  I think he has come in very positive and raised expectations and perhaps the poor results have caused our more impatient fans to start grumbling. I agree with Woads comments on another thread that we do have good players in this squad, we've proven that by beating some of the top sides this year.  What we've lacked all season is consistency in my opinion and perhaps a truly experienced centre back might have lead us to a few clean sheets.  Top sides always have a tight defence which often allows the team to play badly and still pick up a result, we'd be at least three points better off if we hadn't conceded in injury time against Corby and Workington for example.  I think given time and support the new manager can turn things around. 

I think we'll be in a better position to judge his progress come the end of the season.  I would define progress as addressing some of the obvious problems we have and instilling a bit more consistency which would put us in a strong position going into nexty season.

Seenbetter

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »
Roll on September. This season seems like a rebuilding time and is over already.
I actually think that 90% of the team is ok. It's how you use them that matters and that seems to be a problem for GD as it was for JL
 Wingers have to have pace to get behind defenders so I don't think Newsh or Jones are wingers. If Nathan had been put on last night in the position that Sanders was used I think he would have done a better job even though he is a defender. And regardless of what GD says about the elbow incident The highly intelligent and observant feller next to me saw the incident and said it was intentional and deserved a sending offm so there, tickity boo.

porl99

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
Drury did a good job at Corby (admittedly with a pretty high budget) and was very good at Stamford.  Given time he will also do a good job at Boston, of that I have no doubt. 

He has a contact book as big as the phone book, so I am told.  At least give him a chance to rebuild some of the 'lacking' parts of the squad before judging him.  That won't be until early next season.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
Drury did a good job at Corby (admittedly with a pretty high budget) and was very good at Stamford.  Given time he will also do a good job at Boston, of that I have no doubt. 

He has a contact book as big as the phone book, so I am told.  At least give him a chance to rebuild some of the 'lacking' parts of the squad before judging him.  That won't be until early next season.
Corby and Stamford had big budgets!
Contact book as big as a phone book! I bet he told the Chairman that aswell.Not looking in the book very well at the moment.Looks like his phone is stuck on redial to his ex players Smith, Drury and Watt!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 08:23:30 PM »
People really do make me laugh. We need to support the club. Last nights match just showed how short we are from challenging for play offs. Clear out needed to bring in fresh faces and that is impossible until the summer with contracted players.

A month ago we were short of form, a team capable of the playoffs but ultimately going to fall short.  Last night we were just short, way, way short of anything close to a poor team that were there for the taking.  Organised but that was all.  Simple things we were getting right are going so very wrong now.

At the moment on 1 thing has changed in the past month.

Prove me wrong
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »
If you are going to play hoofball and you have 3 strikers available 2 of them 5ft 9 and one 6ft 2 ,  would most managers leave the 6ft 2 on the bench?

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 09:27:15 PM »
Condidering our manager is only 3 ft approx tall he may not be able to judge the heighs of our strikers!

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »

whilst i refuse those slagging drury of, equally like most certainly wouldn't remotely describe myself as a disciple of his either, but speaking to fans at corby last week, it would appear they were actually in the play off spots earlier in the season before that budget you talk of was absolutely slashed forcing him toi let many players go and after thst thery went into free fall and escapaed relegation by the skin of there teeth

but he is also apparently is a real wheeler and deeler and i can see many dpartures and arrivals overt the next few weeks and even allowing for his poxy lump it as long as you can tactics tuesday we simply have no choice but to be patient he is the manager and unlike some of ythe players, wont be going anywhere so moaning on here or worse at matches will just make matters worse for whoever takes to the pitch

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »
I was lucky enough not to be there on Tuesday night, but whatever the level of performance it cannot have been as bad as the Hinckley or Vauxhall games? (and what about some of the cup games - Kettering was woeful although we won, Kidsgrove, Skelmersdale etc)

There seem to be some short memories around?  Give GD a decent chance - we'll have a better idea of his abilities by the end of the season. 

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Wow I do hope this thread wasn't being serious