Author Topic: Today  (Read 8820 times)

rob.1987

• View Profile
Today
« on: December 26, 2012, 06:33:02 PM »
A fresh topic regarding today, not started by the inane 'Chelsea' and his anti-humour.

If today is a sign of things to come then the future looks bright. On what looked an extremely tricky pitch to play ball on, we zipped it round nicely at times and played some intelligent stuff. The new lad who came on put in a promising performance and looks a decent prospect. Think Haystead will be disappointed to let their goal wriggle underneath him but redeemed himself admirably clawing one off the line soon after. Quite what more we needed to do to win I'm not sure but even despite only picking up a point, it was an enjoyable afternoon and a refreshing display from us. Nice to see nearly 1200 in attendance as well. Well done lads, play like that every week and it'll be 3 points more often that not.

yam man

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
Agreed. Credit to Corby too for their part in a fair, entertaining match.

howmanynames2pick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
A fresh topic regarding today, not started by the inane 'Chelsea' and his anti-humour.

If today is a sign of things to come then the future looks bright. On what looked an extremely tricky pitch to play ball on, we zipped it round nicely at times and played some intelligent stuff. The new lad who came on put in a promising performance and looks a decent prospect. Think Haystead will be disappointed to let their goal wriggle underneath him but redeemed himself admirably clawing one off the line soon after. Quite what more we needed to do to win I'm not sure but even despite only picking up a point, it was an enjoyable afternoon and a refreshing display from us. Nice to see nearly 1200 in attendance as well. Well done lads, play like that every week and it'll be 3 points more often that not.
fair enough.
Milnes had his best game in a long time.
SWD not on his best finishing.
how did their keeper save that one near the end ? It was a Pele/Banks moment
How did their lad not score when he had an open goal?
thankfully he didnt !

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
. Quite what more we needed to do to win I'm not sure

According to GD we needed to score more than one of the 25 chances he said we created.
I've never counted the number of chances created in the previous matches I've seen, but I've often come away from a game with a similar impression.

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:57:59 PM »
as i've always said its the final third that has let us down , then throw in the odd defensive slip and that is why we do not get those points that we deserve. the team as i have said all season play some great passing football, so we are not that far away from been the full deal. stick with it folks, together we will all get there ! :xmashat

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:23:10 AM »
We had the chances, we (SWD mainly) just didn't take them. We also came up against a goalkeeper who played very, very well.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

Seenbetter

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
As Bruce would say "Good game, Good game". Should have taken all 3 points. I think Corby only had 2, maybe 3, attempts on our goal and unfortunately scored with one of them. New signing fitted in very well, you would have thought he had played for us for months and the rest of the players had confidence in him 'cos they passed the ball to him a lot. Their goalie pulled off a fantastic instinctive save near the end..Ref must have had roast beef instead of turkey yesterday because sometimes today he showed couldn't recognise a foul if it bit him on the bum for attention. Very concerned about GD. A large number of us witnessed the incident where he patted one of their players on the back, then patted his arse and then finished the relationship by pinching his arse. Made us larf it did. All in all a very entertaining game played in horrible conditions, muddy and slippery pitch, by two teams deserving the crowds appreciation. Thank goodness for the mud which prevented their player getting his feet together and putting the ball in our net from only about 2/3 feet. As he with the long name said, the final third let us down.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »
Thought we played well today. Had enough chances to win 2 games. Thought the defence and midfield looked a bit tighter so GD having a positive effect already. Early days I know but first signs are positive even if the result didn't go our way. Most I've enjoyed a game for a while as well result apart.

Edit: whoever it was giving Danny Haystead some stick at the end needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Yeah he should have done better with their goal but their striker had too much spave in the box so defence were equally to blame. He also made the great stop from their chance when he somehow clawed the ball away. Get sick of hearing people blaming the keeper he seems an easy target, they need to realise it's a team game.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:00:06 PM by woad_pilgrim »

fred

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »
Not going to lie this is the first game I have been to since the start of the season as I was not supportive of Lee and was intrigued by the appointment, but I will certainly be coming back after what I witnessed yesterday! I thought that Boston were desperately unlucky not to win all 3 points and I'm sure everyone who was there is slightly disappointed that we didn't put more chances away and kill the game off. Ward at the back had a very steady game and looked solid, along with Newsham and Ben on the wing looked very good too. Jordan Smith looks like a positive addition, direct and wants to get at defenders. Spence on other day would have scored a hat-trick but just wasn't his day yesterday. Overall a decent performance that deserved more, and hopefully within the coming weeks with GD getting them more regimented the mistakes and switchings off which cost us the goal yesterday should be ironed out! Bring on Oxford, first win under the boss I can feel it!!! BUFC!!!  :bunny

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
Didn't see anything different yester-today as to any other games, all about the luck really, we've always created chances and we've always leaked a few.  Its just the usual late breakaway winner got stuck in the mud where Altrincham etc put theirs away.  I hope SWD can find some shooting boots in the January Sales. 

I hope Jones doesn't get frozen out because of his spell as a winger, some of his games up top have been great, he has struggled in the last two out wide.   Drury hopefully won't judge him on those two games.

So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

black n yella

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
Thought we played well today. Had enough chances to win 2 games. Thought the defence and midfield looked a bit tighter so GD having a positive effect already. Early days I know but first signs are positive even if the result didn't go our way. Most I've enjoyed a game for a while as well result apart.

whoever it was giving Danny Haystead some stick at the end needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Yeah he should have done better with their goal but their striker had too much spave in the box so defence were equally to blame. He also made the great stop from their chance when he somehow clawed the ball away. Get sick of hearing people blaming the keeper he seems an easy target, they need to realise it's a team game.

I was disgusted with that so called fans abuse of Danny. If he abused me like that when he came into my place of work he'd be on his back. How embarrassing for an opposition player to have to drag our own keeper away from home fans abuse. I personally want the club to take action against this individual and hopefully it will send a clear message to any fan abusing players. Danny like all the other players, is a semi professional footballer and it's inevitable he'll make the odd mistake. If "fans" don't like what they see, feck off and watch premershite on tele. Sick of all the moans and groans right from the blow of the whistle. Why pay good money to turn up and disrespect hard working lads who try their best.  If you've genuinely nothing constructive to say to players, don't open your trap.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:28:19 PM by black n yella »

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 05:45:59 PM »
Sometimes I think it helps for a player to get a kick up the arse from those that pay to watch him.

Haystead however isn't one of those, a keeper can do naff all about their own poor form without the help of the team. 

It isn't for the want of effort that he makes the occasional mistake and I'm glad he bit back and didn't just take it from whichever idiot thought wise to shout out.  Watching the video back he probably should have saved it, but equally they waltzed through with ease and under no pressure from the back four or those infront of them.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Swineshead Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »
3 things i picked up from the.game yesterday:

Ben Milnes was an absolute star - how he didn't get man of the match was beyond me. Disrupted play from start to finish, chased every ball and helped start numerous attacks.

Leading me to my next point..I wish someone would put an arm round Fairclough and tell him its ok to hit it first time every now and again. Think he could have had a bagful if he hadn't let the ball roll over him and then take a touch. The guy seems to have learnt from his suspension though, even given the conditions, he managed to stay on his feet all game, so progress is being made!

Ross put a lot more effort in today - perhaps inevitable if you're playing to keep your place in the squad. Just hope when Drury has made the changes that he feels are necessary that the effort levels remain high.

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 06:59:59 PM »
I just wached that video on he OS and could not believe that was the same team I saw at Gloucester so much more drive and effort.  Let's hope they keep it going :santa

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 08:17:23 PM »

whoever it was giving Danny Haystead some stick at the end needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Yeah he should have done better with their goal but their striker had too much spave in the box so defence were equally to blame. He also made the great stop from their chance when he somehow clawed the ball away. Get sick of hearing people blaming the keeper he seems an easy target, they need to realise it's a team game.
:snowman

I was disgusted with that so called fans abuse of Danny. If he abused me like that when he came into my place of work he'd be on his back. How embarrassing for an opposition player to have to drag our own keeper away from home fans abuse. I personally want the club to take action against this individual and hopefully it will send a clear message to any fan abusing players. Danny like all the other players, is a semi professional footballer and it's inevitable he'll make the odd mistake. If "fans" don't like what they see, feck off and watch premershite on tele. Sick of all the moans and groans right from the blow of the whistle. Why pay good money to turn up and disrespect hard working lads who try their best.  If you've genuinely nothing constructive to say to players, don't open your trap.

Agree with this totally.
GD's idea about making the players stay in the Sports Bar until 6pm might result in some stressy situations with these nutters.