Author Topic: Paul Shirtliff 1962-2009  (Read 7717 times)

Dave H

• View Profile
Re: Paul Shirtliff 1962-2009
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 12:29:47 AM »

This is absolutely tragic news.

Some time around the early 1990s Boston United ran a feature in the matchday programme where supporters were invited to pick their best all time "Boston United XI." I had no hesitation whatsoever in naming Paul Shirtliff as the best right back who had played for the club during my time as a supporter, and I maintain that opinion to this day. Yes, we did make it to the Football League, and yes we've had some really good players pulling on a Boston shirt, but in my opinion and as a supporter for almost 30 years, we have not seen Shirtliff's equal as far as right backs are concerned.

If life were in any way fair, then we ought to be inviting Paul Shirtliff back to the club as a legend. He's a lot more deserving of that title than some of the faces we've paraded around the pitch at half-time. It's really sad that this won't now happen. But I really hope that the club will allow for a minute's silence as a mark of respect at the next home game.

Condolences to Paul's family.
Absolutely,came from the amazing Frickley side of the mid eighties, never has a better right back played for the club since. He was quality and his class shone through. Been taken from this earth far too soon, gone but certainly not forgotten, a true legend.

Pilger

• View Profile
Re: Paul Shirtliff 1962-2009
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:59 AM »
In 30 years of watching Boston, I can’t think of a more consistently reliable, professional and accomplished player than Paul Shirtliffe. I remember him joining the club in 1988 as one of the team assembled by George Kerr in his bid to win the Conference, and he shone out in what was one of the better Boston sides of that era. Quite simply, he was a truly class-act at right back – he dominated the right-hand defence, and you knew that he could always be relied upon to be solid and composed in his defending. His tackling and passing were as neat as his appearance. Really he should have been playing at least a couple of leagues higher. We were fortunate to have him.