Author Topic: Today  (Read 8543 times)

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Today
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
The Pilgrims huffed and puffed in search of a leveller, but never seriously troubled home keeper Mike Green.
Atleast Craig is being honest with his reports !

spannerman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 11:16:41 PM »
He can not blame the fans tonight , he has even got the players blaming the fans i wonder who they think pay the wages
the crowd has fallen quickly and with us getting the blame i can see a few more staying away . It time to be a man Jason
and admit its you that pick the team not us , things need to change before the rot sets in on present form we will be looking
at a relagation battle not a promotion one >:( >:( >:( >:(

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:48:36 AM »
It's been a long night so I'll make it quick, only need 2 words:

Lee Out.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:50 AM »
I wonder whose fault it was this time, the physio, the fitness feller, JB, , the supporters, the coach driver, the good looking wench who serves me with my pastie at most home games ?  Has anyone on here seen any other team we have played do that little run around on the touch line by the players when they come out for the second half 'cos I haven't and yet they still manage to beat us. There is I'm sure a good reason for it but it doesn't seem to help us win. :xmashat

Yeah, I like the lass who serves me too....... ;)

Wonder if she's single......!!!! :D

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
We were awful last night. I've put in some serious travelling this season so far to watch the team but after this latest match I'm going to be staying away for a while.

Quite a few changes from Saturday. Drury out and Haystead in. The new lad on loan from Forest looked ok and he took Jellyman's place at left back, who in turn went to centre half - relegating Tom Ward to the bench. Milnes came back into the middle at the expense of Silk (injured?). Jones played up front but out wide with SWD down the middle and Newsham on the other wing. Fairclough played all over the place - with no end product (pretty much as usual).

First thing's first, Gloucester were not a good team. They were almost as bad as us but they did they did of course score a goal. We had zero game plan by the looks of it. Speculative balls into the box were just hopefull and we hardly created a clear cut chance all game.

Jason Lee just about has the players but he doesn't seem to know how to use them effectively as a team. More strikers on the pitch doesn't necessarily mean we will score more goals. Look at Spain who have played with no strikers and scored !! We need to build from the back, play as a team, pass the ball to each other at a short distance - not 60 yard balls. Work for each other - want the ball. Then the goals should come. Personally, I think we should play 4 - 5 - 1. That would probably mean getting some midfielders though ! Some have criticised Jason Lee for not being animated enough on the touchline. This means nothing. A good manager will get his messages instilled into the team before the match and a half time if needed.

Looking at who we let go in the summer, I don't think Haystead adds any more value than Bazza and I don't think either of our wingers gives us more than Semple did.

My next game will probably be Boxing Day now - hopefully something will have changed by then.

DL

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:39:31 AM by Daniel Lambert »

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:58 AM »
Having travelled up to the game I thought that I would post this morning after some reflection rather than in the heat (or lack of last night) of the moment. I'm also posting from my iPhone on the train to work so excuse me any typographical errors.

One word sums up that performance - pathetic.

I'm sorry to say this but the whole effort was just clueless but ill start with the positives.

Marshall looked decent first half with some decent crosses when attacking but no one read them to get on the end. SWD and Newsham looked ok until the final third but had little inventiveness behind to create chances. Jones was our best player until he was blowing out of his behind and was subbed 15 mins later than he should have been.

Now the negatives.

The formation was unfathomable as we seemed to have 4 at the back and then just players running around cluelessly (except Ross who was clueless without the effort of running). We appeared to have a target man playing left wing but he doesn't have great pace or any attributes of a winger but looked a half decent centre forward. We then lumped it to 2 short guys up front and their defenders ate that up all day.

The tactics were appalling and when not working we lobbed on a centre half to play centre forward and then had no supply except straight balls that he didn't have the nouse, understandably, to use.

Smith for Fairclough. Fair enough as I have not seen such an inept player for Boston in years. Yes be can run, quite fast as it happens. Can he do it with the ball? No. When he does get the ball he either skews it out for a goal kick, over hits it or chips it up for their defender to clear. Time and time again first half he got the ball and wasted good positions. As for his tackling be either didn't bother for ones be could get or jumped in recklessly for ones he can't.

Whereas Smith obviously has a right foot for standing on only. Yet we play him on the right where he was quickly worked out, shown down the line and did little. Maybe if he was on the left he could have exploited them but alas our manager didn't see that.

Ross and Milnes. I feel sorry for Ben as he seems talented but is on his own in the middle as Ross can't be arsed to pass, run tackle and then has the audacity to have a go at the fans in the press. That pony has no place here.

It appears to me that the young kid from forest was a centre back as he reminded me of when Austin played left back. Ok defending but attacking was limited and tracking back after losing the ball in attack was poor on occasion. The goal also came there as him and Jelly didn't bother marking the man at the back stick and Ross felt it was beneath him to track a midfield runner back.

There are the makings of a decent team there but there are too many players who are either out of position, not putting in a shift or just not good enough. That should still have been enough to beat a really poor Gloucester team but combined with inept tactics then we lost a winnable game.

I'm sorry to say this but the time has come Mr Newton to put an end to this and let us start again this season. If we continue then it is bottom half at best but a change of manager may lead to foundations for next year and at least a bit of pride back in the shirt.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »
Cardiff,

I think we were watching the same game - could have even been standing next to each other  :o

DL

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
The next manager should be recruited on probation for six months  and remunerated on a payment by results basis.  :-[
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

B Grimes

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »
Had a two year work contract a few years back (the year when relegation was avoided by the narrowest of margins) and was a regular at the club during that period, since then have moved back home but have always kept a diligent eye on results through both the good and now bad times and currently I have to say I am staggered by the general state of affairs both on the pitch and by those watching those on the pitch!

The dwindling crowds that even three years ago when the team was collectively poo, were still regularly over four figures are dwindling very quickly and am astonished even allowing for the austere times we are all experiencing that they have dropped so significantly especially as one of the biggest plusses of me coming to watch Boston was the faithful and incredibly loyal patronage of the supporters so the current demise in crowd numbers becomes even more incredulous to understand.

I always read the forums and is my understanding of the situation correct in that a lot of the blame is not just the results, god they were bad enough when I was watching every home match but also the manner of the results combined, albeit at an accelerated pace at the growing criticism of JL for both his tactics and his rather unpersonable style of management and attitude towards the faithful?

But equally is it not a case, regardless of the concencus that suggests whilst changing the manager would be a good thing, if only for everyones moral, financially (and in this respect I get the opinion the position remains as precarious now as it was a few seasons ago ) to do so now would neither be  an overly sensible thing to do nor an easy thing to achieve?

Relegation or even the threat of it remains a miniscule possibility especially when you look at the woeful merits of teams like Hinkley and Histon who already look doomed, especially with the latters manager walking out yesterday and even allowing for the fact that you could have pointed the same finger of crap at Gloucester you also have equally crap teams in the shape of Sortford and of course Corby who 'we' play twice in the next month

And who could Boston sign-that wouldn't cost any money-to take over mid season especially considering the not insignificant problem of geography?

Get rid of JL by all means if thats what it takes, but surely doing so at the end of the season when the board can be more selective and hopefully get the right candidate in is the more sensible option even if it means having to endure what appears to be a growing list of some quite pitiful and uninspiring performances.

My heart goes out to all of you, the real, genuine supporters who imo do deserve a lot better than watching this apparent dross but I do feel it will be the summer before you get your wish when as someone mentioned earlier the team and management can all start afresh

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »
I've defended him up to now as I think JL has the attributes of a good manager, but I think he may be drinking in the last chance saloon now. We are in a particularly bad rut of form at the minute and if we were to play out the season as things are I think we'd finish around 8th - which is probably around where our budget lies - but the constant losses to teams that we're very capable of beating are a killer. I genuinely thought that we'd win last night with getting away from York Street...

I'd be ambivalent towards him leaving now - as much as we're under performing I can't actually imagine us being able to recruit anyone 'better' at this stage of the season although DN will have a better idea about the managers market than any of us.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:26:32 PM by Adam »

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »
Could go either way today! So, hold on tight. The doom and gloom merchants are gathering.  :o   

C'mon you Pilgrims   ;D
Doom and gloom has gone by Mr Newtons actions today!
Time to move forward and upwards to the play offs!
Any thoughts about JL sacking Myleftfoot?

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
Vary rare for 2 people on here to be watching the same game DL

Seenbetter

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
Agree with Scouse Pilgrim to some extent on his suggestion. Why is it football managers are treated like our politicians when they get the sack. They both seem to get a very nice lump of money to cushion their demise. We hear that there are lots of players out there looking for positions and that clubs can afford to offer small change for their services and yet managers apparently always get a contract that rewards them even if they fail. Stuff giving them a contract and just pay them to do the job and sack em when they blame everyone else for their failings.

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »

Absolutely  :D
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
Even rarer for 3 but I agree with most of your post. I would say your critisism of Ben Fairclough was a bit harsh. Admittedly he was very poor Wednesday but I have seen him play well and I think he has potential along with most of the rest of the squad.