Author Topic: Blame the crowd!  (Read 8899 times)

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blame the crowd!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
Ohhhhhh!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Controversial stuff but its been like that for years mate. I remember a few fans getting really pissed off at somewhere like Farnborough or Woking in the Conference, they joined in when X started the chants but when they stared a song X and his mates stood there staring at them like it was their job to get the support singing, no one else's.......

Personally I thought we supported BUFC and not personalities in the support, but it seems its not the case, a very sad state of affairs when the team really needs all the vocal encouragement it can get.

The promotion and the following season I was in a group of mates who started chants and wouldn't really mind if the "ring leaders" joined in, but at the same time we joined in when anyone, literally anyone started chanting, it's not a popularity competition, but as you say at times it seems like it is.

Since then lack of £ (all of us are looking for work, but not having much look right now) and people drifting to other interests means our group who we usually stood/stand with is a lot smaller but some of us still go when we we can

The thing is some of those "ring leaders" have always been fine with me as people, they just seem to have some kind of strange ego when it comes to standing in the Town End or when we take a big following to an away game.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:39:56 PM by BUFC Loyal »

Winging It

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
If you go to a concert, and the singer does not perform, the crowd are quiet.  Just the same if a comic is telling all the old things you've heard before.

The crowd will cheer and encourage if there is something to cheer.  It is so obvious, I can't believe this is even being talking about after today's – and other recent performances.  Boston fans will get behind the team when they are playing well.  Once more, particularly in the first half there was very limited action, especially goalmouth action . . . the crowd was quiet, in fact they were cold and stunned!

thats a daft quote to be fair. yes at concerts same as everything in entertainments the crowd will go quiet if things are not up to standard. but the simple facts are from the start of any event the crowds are loud, cheering and in expectation. sadly at bufc this is not the case anymore.  why do fans look at the half empty rather than half full views. go there at 2.55 and lift the lads when they come out. keep it up for 10 odd mins and then, and only then if it doesn't lift the team ( which it jolly well should ) then by all means rest your poor voices.  but for goodness sake don't say that because our form is up and down you are going there in expectation of no entertainment.  then you have to question yourselves of why are you going ! 

Tony Goor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »
Football is in competition with everything else these days, including rugby on the TV. But the previous poster has one good point at the end "If you are going there in expectation of entertainment, then you have the question yourselves of why you are going!" 

Now that is ridiculous.  You go to meet your mates and be entertained at the same time.  Live in the real world

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

[/quote]....I saw the second half as very entertaining end to end stuff as they say....if you were a neutral you couldnt complain abiut getting value for money....
[/quote] the problem there is we are not neutrals are we. We want to see the team control the game if possible or at least show some solidarity at the back and not let players waltz through. They could easily have scored more. For me i dont find it entertaining to watch your team leak goals week in week out. Maybe you do.

travelling man

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
I agree with you Tony, the team need to give something to help the atmosphere.

I have my season ticket at York St, but, for the last 2 years I finally got 1 each for me and the Domestic Manager at Anfield. I was therefore at the Southampton game yesterday and the atmosphere was as flat as a pancake, even the anthem at the start was sung in as lacklustre was as I can ever remember. The reason, the same as at York st, a manager who can talk the talk but not walk the walk. Brendan Rogers may be a nice guy, as is JL, but instills no faith at all in the fans with his bizarre team selections. Downing at left back, FFS?

There are similarities with the 2 clubs trying to balance the books, but some spark is needed at both grounds before fans get back on board.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »
Travelling man good choice of teams!

Seenbetter

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 04:36:48 PM »
I hear they are going to lock all the exits until full time so nobody can leave early.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
Top marks to KON and TM ,  High level of tolerance needed to follow either of those teams never mind both .    Might be able to get you a comp if  imps win at Mansfield KON .

Burton Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 11:24:21 PM »
I hear they are going to lock all the exits until full time so nobody can leave early.

Sounds like some people would prefer it if they locked the entrances! :)

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:45 AM »
York Street is no different from any other ground. Crowds respond to what's happening on the pitch .... be it Arsenal fans booing off their team or whatever.

The negative bunch, have always been a vocal lot - though it does depend on where you are in the crowd - not much has changed in the last 30 years on that one.

The reality is that the team are not a play-off challenging team, which is where most supporters think they should be so interest is waning.
Bottom line is people pay their money and take their choice - what is on offer is simply not good enough for many so they are making their feelings known - rightly or wrongly that manifests itself in moaning or simply staying away.

No 'business' has a right to expect people to pay money when serving up a poor product, be it facilities, entertainent value etc. Something football could do well to learn.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
Trust me dc   amend the 30 years to 65 !!!

Always been the same at all clubs , some fans thinking their team should have continuoues success .   Not all teams can finish in top 5 of their league so the moaners at 75% of the clubs in any league deem the season a failure .

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
York Street is no different from any other ground. Crowds respond to what's happening on the pitch .... be it Arsenal fans booing off their team or whatever.

The negative bunch, have always been a vocal lot - though it does depend on where you are in the crowd - not much has changed in the last 30 years on that one.

The reality is that the team are not a play-off challenging team, which is where most supporters think they should be so interest is waning.
Bottom line is people pay their money and take their choice - what is on offer is simply not good enough for many so they are making their feelings known - rightly or wrongly that manifests itself in moaning or simply staying away.

No 'business' has a right to expect people to pay money when serving up a poor product, be it facilities, entertainent value etc. Something football could do well to learn.

This must be the post of the season for me D C,  Everything you say is true, The last paragraph near enough says what I posted about a football match, that it is about  entertainment, If you get bad service at a shop you don't patronise it, it is the same with a football match, If the some of the crowd feel they are not getting value for money, and they can see the same mistakes being made by the players, who are being instructed by inept managers, they will show their displeasure vocally , they could maybe lose all interest and take the ultimate decision and stop supporting BUFC,
This leads to the poor attendances which is now happening at York Street matches, Fans will support a winning and competitive side, that is something we are not getting with the present management staff.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »
Sadly many fans are unable to follow winning teams now or in the near future ceamboy for reasons we all know .  Even table toppers Newport and Chester gates are down .
Apart from that many will go along with your opinions .
Its inevitable some clubs will go bust , many players  at our level will be playing for expences only from next season (or before ).  Clubs will have no option but to adjust to the present financial climate .