Author Topic: Travelling to Skem  (Read 5727 times)

skemutd

• View Profile
Travelling to Skem
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:16:41 PM »
Morning all, bad head

Just to help any travelling up

FROM M6

At junction 26, take the M58 exit to Skelmersdale/​Liverpool/​Southport

At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto M58

At junction 4, take the A5068 exit to Skelmersdale

At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Glenburn Rd/​A5068
Go through 1 roundabout

At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Neverstitch Rd/​A577

At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Staveley Rd

At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Statham Rd

Turn left onto Selby Pl
Destination will be on the left

Skelmersdale WN8 8EF, UK

Go directly to the ground, the nearest pub (Busy Bee) is a good 5 minutes walk, the Club house serves very decent beer and is very reasonably priced. Im sure you will be given a warm reception.
Food in the Canteen has very good pies and burgers as well as hot drinks...If you are after something a little more substantial then I suggest a Mway services, there are a few good chippies around but are quite a way from the ground. (Im sure if your desperate one of the locals will show you the way) The town is notorious for roundabouts and it easy to get lost...Im not kidding.

We are on an industrial estate and are quite a way from the few ammenities that the town offers- in their wisdom when they built the new town the planners somehow forgot that people need something to do. They removed the railway station and the bus services are appaling thus
any travel by public transport is NOT recommended, anyone wishing to brave the travel.. the train from Manchester going to Wigan, stay on the train to Parbold (5 miles away), when leaving Wigan phone a local taxi firm 01695 50005 and ask for a taxi to Parbold station for 15 minutes...It should be there when you arrive. Costs about £6
(If you embark at Wigan there is an hours bus ride and a 10 minute walk from the nearest stop)

Traveling back will be a nightmare, unsure what time last train is, and if the game goes to ET and pens your basically in the deep !!!!

It took us just over 3 hours on the coach, without a stop on the way back

It would have been easier if we could have played next saturday. I dont think any of our fans would relish that journey mid week.

Hope you enjoy your trip up and that you go home disapointed !!!!!

I think the result could depend on who we are paired with in the next round. I dont think we would fancy a trip to deepest South Coast

See you there

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:20:23 PM by skemutd »

skemutd

• View Profile
Re: Travelling to Skem
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
Sorry forgot to add

Pleas bring your wellies and brollies, although we have some cover, it is not very substantial.

And dont forget to wrap up warm and put on your thermals....it gets cold in this part of the world

Oh and you can smoke on the terraces  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
Whats state is the pitch in scem ?

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:18:49 PM »
Great stuff Skem - should make finding the ground easier. I'm actually not too far away between Bolton & Manchester - Google maps reckon 23 miles. You say you are on an Industrial Estate - how is it for parking near the ground? Assuming all the businesses will be closed being a night game and it should be fairly easy?? (I do something similar near the DW Stadium when I go to Wigan Warriors matches).

Morning all, bad head

Just to help any travelling up

FROM M6

At junction 26, take the M58 exit to Skelmersdale/​Liverpool/​Southport

At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto M58

At junction 4, take the A5068 exit to Skelmersdale

At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Glenburn Rd/​A5068
Go through 1 roundabout

At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Neverstitch Rd/​A577

At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Staveley Rd

At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Statham Rd

Turn left onto Selby Pl
Destination will be on the left

Skelmersdale WN8 8EF, UK

Go directly to the ground, the nearest pub (Busy Bee) is a good 5 minutes walk, the Club house serves very decent beer and is very reasonably priced. Im sure you will be given a warm reception.
Food in the Canteen has very good pies and burgers as well as hot drinks...If you are after something a little more substantial then I suggest a Mway services, there are a few good chippies around but are quite a way from the ground. (Im sure if your desperate one of the locals will show you the way) The town is notorious for roundabouts and it easy to get lost...Im not kidding.

We are on an industrial estate and are quite a way from the few ammenities that the town offers- in their wisdom when they built the new town the planners somehow forgot that people need something to do. They removed the railway station and the bus services are appaling thus
any travel by public transport is NOT recommended, anyone wishing to brave the travel.. the train from Manchester going to Wigan, stay on the train to Parbold (5 miles away), when leaving Wigan phone a local taxi firm 01695 50005 and ask for a taxi to Parbold station for 15 minutes...It should be there when you arrive. Costs about £6
(If you embark at Wigan there is an hours bus ride and a 10 minute walk from the nearest stop)

Traveling back will be a nightmare, unsure what time last train is, and if the game goes to ET and pens your basically in the deep !!!!

It took us just over 3 hours on the coach, without a stop on the way back

It would have been easier if we could have played next saturday. I dont think any of our fans would relish that journey mid week.

Hope you enjoy your trip up and that you go home disapointed !!!!!

I think the result could depend on who we are paired with in the next round. I dont think we would fancy a trip to deepest South Coast

See you there

skemutd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
http://skemunitedforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=allthings

keep up to date with the "Weekly pitch update at Skem with the above link. Its been raining all day saturday and sunday and with more to come Better keep and eye on it. Although the ground staff are top class and if there is any chance they will def get it on.

Lots of parking around ground, beware there are lots of large lorries up and down Statham Rd, better parking up Selby Place, where the ground is situated.

Live From Skem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »
We at Skem are pretty confidentthe game will be on.

It has rained all day Monday, but is expected to stop during the night, with a drying day to follow.

Your club need to know about the pitch by 12 Noon, so the intention is to publish progress of any inspections on http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/skelmersdaleunited/news/

And

http://skemunitedforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Throughout the day.

There is a big clubhouse, catering is mainly burgers and pies, but decent ones.

There is not a lot of cover but the forecast for Tuesday night is to be dry, so you should be ok.

When in Skem the ground is on Stanley Industrial Estate, surrounded by trees, near two big ASDA and Comet distribution warehouses. (Not the ASDA shop). Plenty of on road parking.

Takes about 3 to 3 n half hours from Boston. it is suggested you don't travel via M62 at Leeds because of hold ups on that stretch.

I would just like to say thanks for a great day out on Saturday, we were treated very well and cannot recall even any bad comments or attitudes, you were a credit to your town. You will be treated with the same respect at Skem.

Looking forward to another good game
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:13:32 AM by Live From Skem »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:23 AM »
Game on confirmed on Skem forum .

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile