Author Topic: Premier League / Racism  (Read 5017 times)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Premier League / Racism
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »
I never watched the Chelsea v Man Utd game yesterday but looking at the headlines on BBC Sport this morning I see Chelsea are accusing the referee of making racist comments towards their players.

It seems that this sort of thing is happening every week - and the allegations are usually from those on the losing side.

It is getting a bit tedious now and reinforces my desire to watch lower league football. It's got to the stage where if the allegations are true then that's just wrong - and if they aren't then where is it all going to stop ? After every weekend there are going to be inquiries galore.

DL

Fairfax

• View Profile
Re: Premier League / Racism
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
If I am to believe reports on today's press, it appears that the referee referred to a player as Spanish. Is this not taking accusations of racism a little too far?

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »
Read a little further, in one paper he apparently called him a "Spanish T**t"!!!

garry@

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
Referee was spot on with both big decisions he made it took a lot of balls to send someone off for tumbling theatrically.
as for the rest ZZZZzzzz here we go again.
Guilty until proven innocent and still guilty when proven innocent

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
Ernie, I did read further, but I still don't see that as racist, only offensive.

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
Brought his race (i.e. Spanish) into it hence Racism.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 03:39:38 PM »
It's all about the context.  If I refer to Viv Anderson as the first black footballer to play for England...is that strictly speaking a racist comment?  I'm still using the colour of Viv's skin as a adjective as did John Terry to Anton Ferdinand?

All the current media hype around racist comments actually refer to racist comments that are also offensive comments.......

Let's have no racist comments or inflatable farm yard animals for the FA Trophy tie  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:41:14 PM by Ferret »

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:04:02 AM »
Let's mic the refs for everyone to hear - the language from players would then be heard - it would be embarrassing for all to hear.
The ref was verbally abused throughout the game, as with most games.

I run football events and frequently referee. Interestingly when I organise an annual charity football event, I ask the players to refrain from swearing as children are present - there has been one swear word in 5 years. Yet the many of the same players play in leagues where they swear at each other and verbal abuse refs as a matter of course. Go figure.
Similarly, in European matches Chelsea et al, rarely give any abuse to refs as he waves them away and does not tolerate such 'discussions'.
The culture of the premier league appears to be different - certain things are accepted, it's time this was questioned.

Other sports do not suffer this from this disease and are just as physical if not more so. They are always going to be exceptions involving violent conduct, but the culture of behaviour on football pitches has to change.

Whilst we are at it, the cultue on the terraces needs to be addressed to.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 03:02:21 PM »
Ernie: Spanish is not a race, it's a nationality. Using that as an example you would have to argue that calling Lincoln City players gimps is racist, or even someone from Sydney Street calling someone else a Granville Street idiot is racist. If we let this line of thinking go on, then mentioning the colour of someone's car in passing conversation will become illegal.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
"Whilst we are at it , the culure on the terraces needs to be addressed too."
Agree d c ,  lets start near home with the Spayne Rd terrace .

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
Fairfax - oops senior moment!!! ofcourse Spanish is a nationality and not a race :-[ I shan't be applying to go onto "The Chase" :D

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »
It now appears that the accusation is calling Nigerian Mikel a monkey and references to Spanish players were red herrings. If that's the case it's a bit naughty. However, a couple of observations:

Mikel was making a thorough nuisance of himself, hounding Clattenberg all over the pitch.

My mum often called me a monkey when I was misbehaving or being a nuisance. I am quite sure that she was not making any form of racist reference to me, only commenting on my behaviour.

It would be unfortunate if an otherwise competent referee lost his position due to over-sensitivity of a player, or more likely sour grapes on the part of Chelsea. The game went against them. It happens. They should let it drop. Now I'm off for a cup of PG.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 07:13:33 PM »
For me society in general has become far too over sensitive.

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:19:34 PM »
And now a Man Utd player has been racially abused by a fan during the game against Chelsea last night !!