Author Topic: what a crackin game  (Read 18012 times)

Adam

• View Profile
Re: what a crackin game
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
I think it's as important to not overreact to yesterday's good performance as it was to not overreact to the duff ones we've had so far. That said, we were sensational in the first half, and there is no way we would've held onto that lead two weeks ago before Tom Ward's return. Also Chester went in hard with quite a few chances so I think we've put to rest the "can't play physical teams" suggestion for a while.

The onslaught from Chester was predictable - they're clearly a decent team - so I was a bit disappointed that we let them hit us for two so quickly, but after that the defence was mainly excellent (given how open a game it was). I thought bringing Smith on made a big difference - the fresh legs down the left wing gave us an outlet and put some of the pressure back onto Chester rather than us.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
But there is no end result from Smith, he's just an outlet......how often did he get in a telling ball? More often than not he either lost possession or got knocked off the ball by a physically stronger opponent.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 11:23:56 AM »
Could not make yesterday, well done lads
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »
But there is no end result from Smith, he's just an outlet......how often did he get in a telling ball? More often than not he either lost possession or got knocked off the ball by a physically stronger opponent.
Yet in the Histon game, he was superb and got 4 assists (no end result?). He's inconsistent, like most wingers...
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »
He was up against a very poor side in Histon.

He's done nothing to impress me in the 3 games I've seen.

CRANWELL PILGRIM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 12:21:31 PM »
What a game to miss. On wife's birthday duties >:(
Thanks to Seeing better for the text updates. Must admit was worried at half time that we would not play so well second half as we haven't of late. Was even more worried after first 4 minutes of second half :o but well done to all concerned. Lets hope next game is not "after lord mayors show".
Don't plan to miss many more :-[

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 01:14:27 PM »
excellent result. At last we are playing to some of our strengths
4 4 2 and using the pace to get behind fairly slow defences.

Worrying that we conceded two goals again in quick succession, but never really looked too worried after that.

I thought Chester would be better than they were, but they just could not handle the pace of the way we played. It looked to me that they rely too much on the long ball, but take nothing away from us today, we were the better team and deserved the victory

Oh for some consistency!!!!

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
The only downside was the subs, Smith is too lightweight and the lad who came on late is about Sleaford Town's level. Thats my only concern yesterday, we do look very threadbare once you get past the starting XI yesterday plus Jones and

we have what we have. i believe
5 players are none paid none contract and played for the reserve's on tue.J.L   does well to keep them                                                             

Ernie100

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »
A really good game but I would have preferred Field at left back, Jelly's passing was a did wayward to say the least yesterday, and both their goals came from the left-hand side.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
The only downside was the subs, Smith is too lightweight and the lad who came on late is about Sleaford Town's level. Thats my only concern yesterday, we do look very threadbare once you get past the starting XI yesterday plus Jones and

we have what we have. i believe
5 players are none paid none contract and played for the reserve's on tue.J.L   does well to keep them                                                             

Whilst I agree that it is good that we are are able to keep hold of these promosing youngsters how do you know they are not paid? I would guess that all the players are paid, the fringe younger players are probably on a nominal apperance fee at a guess.

Whilst I agree with Naughtyforties in that Dyer-Stewart doesn't look ready for this level yet he (along with French and Munn) needs to be judged in the same way as Nuttell, Field, Reed and Sturman and still has a lot to learn. If we are lucky a couple of those mentioned will turn out to be top players at this level or above but as with any group of youngsters at any club the majority don't make it but several have shown alot of promise. JL has already shown his ability in improving players such as Ward, Stainsfield and Fairclough which has been satisfying to watch their progress, I also think Newsham's overall game has improved under JL.

When everyone is fit (expected to be by the next league game) I believe we have a strong bench. The team that played yesterday 1-11 have every right to keep their places and our strongest bench would then be:
Jones
Willson
Reed
Marshall
Smith
A balanced bench with plenty of options and in my opinion all players who are more than good enough to go on and make a difference if needed and wouldn't weaken the team. With Miller now gone we also have the funds to bring in another player to strengthen the squad.

soccermad67

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
what a great win  on saturday against Chester, great tempo to the game. I was biting my finger nails towards  the end , Well done to all the team, along with Jason & Graham and all the backroom staff

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
Great game! Please to see Chester playing below their usual standards.I just wish that Fairclough could put a couple of stones on! He would be the complete footballer if he did! Reminds me of Franz Carr! Only concern was when our sub came on for the last 10 seconds I think it was Dire-Straits!

And prey tell how many times have you seen Chester play this season.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
After travelling home and away this year I told my Mrs that after the Workington match I wouldn't go again this season.  So glad I changed my mind!

As underdogs, the team totally proved (pretty much) everybody wrong and showed real character, drive and determination today.  In my opinion I think that was the best game I have seen SWD play; Ben Fairclough was great, as was Stainfield.  Haystead also looked a totally different player compared to recent performances.

Games like this are what football is all about!  You can't give up on a team just because of some drab performances and dire results as you never know what is around the corner!  Well done to all the players and backroom staff. 

Absolutely spot on - I couldn't agree more. I would have actually given SWD the man-of-the-match just ahead of Ben, but there were both great. And a good mention for a change for the referee - one of the better ones we've seen for a quite a while.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2012, 06:40:13 PM »
A really good game but I would have preferred Field at left back, Jelly's passing was a did wayward to say the least yesterday, and both their goals came from the left-hand side.
(Good cover for jell's)Field proved he can stay 90 min.at this level.after reading Duncan Brownes comment's.he his one to watch for sure ;)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
After travelling home and away this year I told my Mrs that after the Workington match I wouldn't go again this season.  So glad I changed my mind!

As underdogs, the team totally proved (pretty much) everybody wrong and showed real character, drive and determination today.  In my opinion I think that was the best game I have seen SWD play; Ben Fairclough was great, as was Stainfield.  Haystead also looked a totally different player compared to recent performances.

Games like this are what football is all about!  You can't give up on a team just because of some drab performances and dire results as you never know what is around the corner!  Well done to all the players and backroom staff. 

Absolutely spot on - I couldn't agree more. I would have actually given SWD the man-of-the-match just ahead of Ben, but there were both great. And a good mention for a change for the referee - one of the better ones we've seen for a quite a while.

Quite right that the ref got a mention, I thought he was spot on and got all the calls dead right. For a few minutes after their second goal I thought things might get out of hand but he kept a lid on things well.