Author Topic: How much longer David?  (Read 17579 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: How much longer David?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 06:41:46 AM »
He had all last season, this season shows he's learnt nothing. He still signing players who are not up to the demands of this league physically and ability wise.

And I missed have missed this excellent first half performance, all I saw was a very laboured effort with too many people putting in a poor shift.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »
For me first half was our best half of the season. Some great passing and their keeper made 3 outstanding saves, their pen was their only chance of the half. Second half was a completely different story as Workington bossed the possession, pressed us high up the field and we barely got out of our own half. They deservedly got the win late on.

This to me seems to be a recurring problem, the last 3 games we've been good first half but second half have ran out of ideas. Not sure what Jason tells them at half time but it certainly seems to have the opposite effect to what is needed. Not wanting to have KON on here ranting about the fitness coach, but we look like we run out of steam second half. So far we've looked anything but the fittest team in the league.
Nothings won or lost after five games. Performance today first half was top notch, poor defencively second half but one or two experienced heads missing. If the pen was given against Jones first half (which was pretty stone wall decison) then the game could have been different if we went in up at half time. Need 7 points from next three games before the cup game if we are going to keep up with the those above us though...

I thought that as well. Not sure why people are trying to portray today as some sort of apocalyptic performance.
Results are king I'm afraid, doesn't matter how good a performance is put in if you don't get results. I think this is what clouds some peoples judgement, a defeat and we're going down a win and we're gonna win the league.

The opposition we have played so far we should be sitting on a minimum of 11 points, Workington and Droylsden have been decent sides but the other 3 have been piss poor and to lose to 2 of them is why we have had the reaction we have so far from the fans.

There is still time to put it right but we have lost a lot of ground on the top 5 and I don't think we've played what I believe will be a top 6 side yet. The season is in danger of being over before it's started JL has a lot of work to do to turn this round  :(

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »
For anyone who expects Boston to be in contention for promotion this year: looking at the squad, which players do you actually think are on promotion level wages?

Newsham, SWD, Jellyman, Ross, Willson and that's probably about it. Jason has had to take a gamble on several youngsters, some will pay off some wont.

My gut feeling is that Newsh won't be on big wages, and nor will SWD - he hardly had a strong negotiating position with the club after leaving once did he? Spot on about young players though - the squad is full of them and my guess is they're mainly on minimal wages. For once I think DN may be wrong and that Canners is right about JL having limited resources.

I'm not saying they are everything but they sure as hell help if you want a strong spine to your team. To be honest I think that's where BUFC will be found wanting again this season. Accusations about desire/workrate are simply wrong from the matches I've seen. Such things get thrown around about any losing side - if Newsh had scored instead of hitting the post United probably would've won today and the players would be praised for these things...

Scott and Hurst managed to overachieve in 2010/11 but that doesn't mean you can judge all future managers against that standard - they were exceptional (and slightly lucky).

It doesn't matter what wages players on it's about quality, desire, hunger and passion, right now we're severely lacking in those

Thats spot on, and that comes from the management down.

Eh?! So wages have NOTHING to do with how good a players you can attract? So Robin van Persie would play under Fergie for £50 a week?!

Reality: Boston United are still hemorrhagging money, they have nowhere to play in seven years. Resources are severely limited, and if you discount a few seasons assisted by serious fraud, they haven't played above this level since 1993. We have no right to expect promotion from this league.
Add Silk to that list of players. I don't know what wages they are on and from your "gut feeling" line I don't think you do either. Truth is that list of players are quite capable of playing in the league above, do you really think we have a bottom 5 budget? I would guess, and I highlight guess it isn't a top 6 but by the same token it isn't a bottom 6 either.

As for where we are, the club is set up to be playing in the league above, has the crowds to survive in the league above. Reality is Chester, Halifax and possibly Altrincham apart the rest of the clubs in this league would be punching above their weight above (much like Hyde, Alfreton etc.). We should expect to be challenging for promotion every season from this league, if we stop then we might as well pack in.

truthsayer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 10:06:53 AM »
Ahhhh the fresh smell of Sunday morning coffee.

Panic not. Were not going for promotion this season. The "Goal" is to not be relegated. Promotion is too expensive.

Think like that n it all makes sense

TS

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 11:04:14 AM »
For anyone who expects Boston to be in contention for promotion this year: looking at the squad, which players do you actually think are on promotion level wages?

Newsham, SWD, Jellyman, Ross, Willson and that's probably about it. Jason has had to take a gamble on several youngsters, some will pay off some wont.

My gut feeling is that Newsh won't be on big wages, and nor will SWD - he hardly had a strong negotiating position with the club after leaving once did he? Spot on about young players though - the squad is full of them and my guess is they're mainly on minimal wages. For once I think DN may be wrong and that Canners is right about JL having limited resources.

I'm not saying they are everything but they sure as hell help if you want a strong spine to your team. To be honest I think that's where BUFC will be found wanting again this season. Accusations about desire/workrate are simply wrong from the matches I've seen. Such things get thrown around about any losing side - if Newsh had scored instead of hitting the post United probably would've won today and the players would be praised for these things...

Scott and Hurst managed to overachieve in 2010/11 but that doesn't mean you can judge all future managers against that standard - they were exceptional (and slightly lucky).

It doesn't matter what wages players on it's about quality, desire, hunger and passion, right now we're severely lacking in those

Thats spot on, and that comes from the management down.

Eh?! So wages have NOTHING to do with how good a players you can attract? So Robin van Persie would play under Fergie for £50 a week?!

Reality: Boston United are still hemorrhagging money, they have nowhere to play in seven years. Resources are severely limited, and if you discount a few seasons assisted by serious fraud, they haven't played above this level since 1993. We have no right to expect promotion from this league.
Add Silk to that list of players. I don't know what wages they are on and from your "gut feeling" line I don't think you do either. Truth is that list of players are quite capable of playing in the league above, do you really think we have a bottom 5 budget? I would guess, and I highlight guess it isn't a top 6 but by the same token it isn't a bottom 6 either.

As for where we are, the club is set up to be playing in the league above, has the crowds to survive in the league above. Reality is Chester, Halifax and possibly Altrincham apart the rest of the clubs in this league would be punching above their weight above (much like Hyde, Alfreton etc.). We should expect to be challenging for promotion every season from this league, if we stop then we might as well pack in.

Of course I don't know what any of the players are on but my line of thought with regards to Newsh is that it's reasonable to assume that in summer 2009 he would have been signed on good Unibond wages, and that as the club has been either cutting or reducing the budget since he won't have been given much of a rise since.

Never said we should be aiming to avoid relegation - I agree with you on where the budget is likely to lie (should also factor in us being out on a limb in Lincolnshire with regards to the pool of players we can look at). But United have merely had a mediocre start to the season. We've only played five games and are 9th in the table... Personally I think we'll improve from here and just happen to have had a run of bad form early on.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
Woad Pilgrim.......spot on as usual.

Good man, say it like it is and sod the happy clappers and club apologists. We SHOULD set top 5 as a minimum requirement every season, not a nice bonus if we get there.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »
Woad Pilgrim.......spot on as usual.

Good man, say it like it is and sod the happy clappers and club apologists. We SHOULD set top 5 as a minimum requirement every season, not a nice bonus if we get there.

AGREED. Top 5 needs to be the aim from everyone at the club.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »
It should be Carl, but reading some posts on here it seems play offs and promotion are a dirty word........mediocrity and deterioration seem to be acceptable.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
The overwhelming highlight of yesterdays game was Gail M sharing her copy of Fifty Shades of Grey with the regulars in the FIS......learnt some new words and a new use for tin foil......

Wembley 85

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »
I thought that we did Ok in the first half. Some nice passing at times, and three good chances. They scored with the only chance they got, thanks to a piss-poor tackle from someone that should know better.  Jason Field looked promising and James Reed did more right than wrong.

However, the second half was terrible. The team seemed to become worse with every substitution. We couldn't get out of our own half, and it was embarrasing.

And it is blindingly obvious that our defence just can't cut it, and Miller should be the first to be shown the door. He has absolutely no idea, and for him to be shouting back at the bench when they are trying to educate him just sums him up. There is a reason why he has so many clubs already, and it is time he looked for another one.

I also hate lazy strikers. As a striker you have to work to make space and to get into positions where you can be found by your teammates. That lazy, languid performance from our newest recruit does not bode well. For goodness sake look interested and get into the right places to receive the ball.  Lincolnshire league looks about right to me for him.
We need to  get some proper defenders signed and we might just be ok when the midfield and strikers settle down, but we have a weak underbelly at the moment.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
I agree with a lot of what has been said, but would also raise some concerns around the make-up of our substitutes' bench yesterday. In Fairclough, Stokes and Smith, didn't we technically have three wide players on the bench? Which three wings were they providing cover for? I know we were short on numbers through injuries, but you've still got to have a selection of different positional options on the bench to allow you to change more things round. We'd have been better off naming Drury as one of the substitutes (in place of one of the wingers) or perhaps calling up someone from the reserves.

We didn't play well at Bishop Stortford, but the common opinion amongst fans and media appeared to be that Stokes had been our best player in that match. I certainly thought so. He then found himself dropped to the bench for the next game. I'm not sure that will have helped his confidence. In being our best player, shouldn't he have kept his place for the next match?

bluenose

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
could not agree more!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 10:13:48 PM »
I'm back! What's this about the fitness coach then Woad Pilgrim?
Been away to Africa and returned to see we haven't win since I left!

Fishtoft Crew

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 10:47:53 PM »
Before I get going before someone kicks off was registered as Freiston Fan for years but stopped posting as it was all negative. Basically a crowd of us from the Red Cow in Fishtoft go to the games and read whats put on here. Some facts escape a few, we are skint, the squad is based on many local lads who are paid very little we have a handful that probably dont clear a night out on the lash and a takeaway and taxi home. Yes its frustrating but tonight Liverpool are on one point second bottom of the league so lets keep it real.

We have so many positives, after dinner events sold out in advance without knowing the speaker, best programme, good social club lots of local lads, and a manager thats been there and done it with an assistant manager that has graced most major stadiums. Yet people come on here and say lets get a nasty bassssssard, yet hated the last one and the one before and the one before. Lets get real and support what we have a lot of clubs would love what we have.

And dont anyone give it the happy clapper crap

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »
Fair comment Fishtoft crew! But programmes and speakers don't win leagues!