Author Topic: Disappointed is an understatement today !  (Read 14412 times)

milo1972

• View Profile
Disappointed is an understatement today !
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
Just got back from the match and after the battling win at Droylsden and the emphatic win against Histon im very disappointed with today performance. Not even a shot for their goalkeeper to save !!  Not good enough for the tremendous 200 or so followers today. Enough said !
UTP .....

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed is an understatement today !
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:09:59 PM »
If I'd not got that season ticket on the cheap I'd have struggled to get the motivation to pay to watch this current side because I've said from day one Jason Lee is not a good manager and the results this weekend have borne that out against two average sides. This has been a very comfortable set of opening fixtures but we've once again made a pigs ear of things and instead of a haul of 10-12 points we've got 6........can you see Guisley, Brackley,Massivefax and Chester losing to the two we've lost two?

Sorry to hear you've had a wasted day mate, the support this club has deserves so much better than what we are getting and the root of the problem should have left last summer when Lee Cannoville went. It Tommy Taylor MkII, old failings are not being addressed and a complete lack of enthusiasm is patently obvious. Next thing we know we'll be out of the FA Cup mid September, we'll be 12-15 points off the leaders and it'll be another season of 'consolidation'........

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »

I thought we probably had the lion's share of the possession (sorry), but we didn't do anywhere near enough with it. There was the goal and then there was a goalmouth scramble in the second half, but otherwise Stortford didn't create a great deal either. Once they'd scored they were generally more interested in running the clock down, and took an age with goal kicks, substitutions and set pieces. The ref had a word with some of their players, but probably should have produced one or two yellow cards for time wasting.

Milo1972 is correct about their goalkeeper not having a shot to save. Weir-Daley did put the ball in the net in the second half but it was ruled out for offside. It was a tight decision and might have gone for us on another day. But that was the sum total of our efforts on target. Newsham had two headers in the first half, but one went wide and the other went over.

We appealed for a penalty in the second half when Kallum Smith went over in the box. I thought he went down much too easily, and in all honesty the ref was right to book him for diving. Gary Silk also picked up a booking in the first half and was probably lucky, as it looked quite a bad challenge.

Jones didn't have the impact today that he had against Histon, but I'm not sure our tactics were right once we'd taken him off. A lot of the balls forward were still in the air, and Smith, Newsham, Weir-Daley and Fairclough didn't have much of a chance of winning them against the Stortford defenders. Dare I say it, but if we're going to stick with the long ball forward then we'd be better off introducing Jason Lee from the bench.

On a positive, I did think Jason Stokes had a decent game considering this was his competitive debut.

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
Yes it will be a long season if we play the long ball game >:(, Did JL have much input from the dugout LP?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:42:01 PM by BosLeake »

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
I thought we looked good for the first 15 mins and even after they scored (as our defence went to sleep) thought we'd get back into the game.  Agreed Stokes played well and put some quality crosses in that begged to be finished.  Could not understand for the life of me us taking Jones off to then hoof it to the smallest forwards we have.  Also what was Wilson on lost count of the number of missed passes, blocks and tackles.

doc

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
Optimism at its best! At least wait a few more games before condemning the team. Cant tell anything this early, just look at the premier league.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:23:06 PM »
If I'd not got that season ticket on the cheap I'd have struggled to get the motivation to pay to watch this current side because I've said from day one Jason Lee is not a good manager and the results this weekend have borne that out against two average sides. This has been a very comfortable set of opening fixtures but we've once again made a pigs ear of things and instead of a haul of 10-12 points we've got 6........can you see Guisley, Brackley,Massivefax and Chester losing to the two we've lost two?

Sorry to hear you've had a wasted day mate, the support this club has deserves so much better than what we are getting and the root of the problem should have left last summer when Lee Cannoville went. It Tommy Taylor MkII, old failings are not being addressed and a complete lack of enthusiasm is patently obvious. Next thing we know we'll be out of the FA Cup mid September, we'll be 12-15 points off the leaders and it'll be another season of 'consolidation'........

Sorry Andy but one thing JL cannot be slated for is lack of enthusiasm. I've seen him at reserve games, pays for the fitness coach out of his own pocket, took a pay cut in the summer and i've spoken to two of last seasons squad who have now departed and both had the upmost respect for him as a manager. Enthusiasm shouldn't be mesaured by how how red in the face and how much hot air is produced by the manager during ninety minutes aka Evans and Scott.

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »
 :danevery player gave there all;just something to moan about thou ;stainfield is brill in air;but sloppy on the ground he will alway's give pen's 'or f/kick's away we do need another c/back for cover;we have no leader's; sorry but jellyman should give up armband ;haystead has been quick in other game's to have a go at young marshall ;but today was not firm enough with is back line ;i thought stoke's should have had 90 min's;;just hope lee and hyde have it in them to reconise that 2 or 3 reguler's wan't to shape up (we have a very good squad and i hope to be at the next game )

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
Agree with the title of the thread as I felt the same when I walked out the ground. However having had the drive home to calm down got a bit of perspective.

Yep got to say this is the sort of team we need to be beating if we are going to be up there. They where big and hard working nothing more. Up until the goal thought we where well on top, after it we had a bit of a lull but finished the first half strongly. As well as Newsh's 2 headers (1 of which he really should have buried), Fairclough also had a header that he should have put away. Second half again we ran out of ideas and no their keeper didn't make 1 single save, not nearly good enough.

So not the greatest performance agreed, but there where signs of encouragement IMO. The long ball game was largely dispensed with and some of our approach play was good, just the final ball was either not quite right or the forwards couldn't quite get on the end of them. It's a young team and we'll get some inconsistencies to start with. As long as we learn from this and learn fast it's not a disaster as there is still plenty of the season to turn it round.

The difference between the first couple of games and the last 2 is that first 2 teams came at us where the last 2 have defended in numbers. We need to work out how to break down teams that play like that and I think we'll be ok. The squad assembled this season is better than last year, it has to remembered also that their where plenty of new signings playing today, Stokes, Haystead, Miller, Silk, Jones and Wilson. Once they settle I'm optimistic that things will improve, just as we shouldn't have got carried away with 2 wins we shouldn't get carried away with 2 defeats.

Andy there'll be shocks all season who's to say Hinckley or BS won't beat any of the front runners (Hinckley won 5-2 away at Nuneaton last season)? Who would have though Histon would have won both their games after the mauling we gave them?

I have my reservations about JL don't get me wrong, mainly around not playing our strongest formation, but he's the manager and sees the players in training and obviously knows more than a fan. But he's signed some good young players and I think (hope) he'll get it right.

bluenose

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:59 PM »
Early days yet, the new lads need more time to bed in. I am a little concerned that we do not want to commit players forwards, if we lose then lose 3-2, go for it and get the ground buzzing.
we have plenty of players who can cause any team problems, get it wide and feed the box!!

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
you can almost feel the frustration everywhere again.

several of us keep saying this is not good enough, but all we do is get slagged off by the happy clappers and club plants on this forum.

how can we lose to these last two sides -- neither of them had a point when they played us, and to not have one shot on target that their keeper had to save is absolutely pathetic.

we dont seem to have any passion on the pitch, or obvious team organisation off it.

two very difficult away games coming up after Saturday--i'm beginning to feel this will be just like last year all over again.

Still as Gainsborough's manager said on Radio Lincoln after the match they are only 10 points off the leaders!! what planet is he on?

By the way where was Jason after the match. No bottle to be interviewed on the radio.

Worrying times

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 09:50:17 PM »
Didn't get over excited by the two wins, won't over-react for the two defeats.  It's still only week 2 of the season, enjoy this bit of the season while it lasts as the business end is agony whether at the top, bottom or worse not involved.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
I have vowed to give it six games before I comment on any individuals so this is a generalisation. I honestly feel we have the making of a good team with the odd exception, but the most important objective is getting the best out of them and organising them so their obvious talent blends together to produce a team that has the capability to challenge for honours. After a long pre-season with many games under the belt it still does not appear we are any nearer to knowing what the starting line up should be, and indeed which system we should be playing. This does reflect badly on the management, being two ex top flight players they must realise this, and also realise that unless they get to grips and show better organisational skills their days may be numbered.
I am not panicking, as I have said I feel we have the talent and I genuinely want Jason to succeed but he must act positively and quickly before the team loses all confidence and falls apart.

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »
I Still beleive we have the players with the skill and abilities to get us up where we need to be.

Do we have the motivation and tactics to get there.

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
Chesterfield sack manager after . . " slow start " -  Independant