Author Topic: Your Lineup?  (Read 3378 times)

Patrick

• View Profile
Your Lineup?
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
21 players is quite a large squad for us. On the eve of the new season I wondered what people's starting elevens would be?

I won't include Tom Ward for the moment due to his injury, and will work with a 4-3-3 formation seeing as that seems to be the manager's preference.

------------------------------------------------------------
                                Dan Haystead

Gary Silk    Kern Miller    Nathan Stainfield    Gareth Jelleyman

Ian Ross    Matt Wilson    Ben Milnes

Spencer Weir-Daley    Marc Newsham    Ben Fairclough   

I think the defence could be very solid this year. Both Silk and Jelleyman are very experienced and Nathan Stainfield will hopefully continue his impressive displays from last season. The only question mark for me concerns whoever partners him in central defence. I've opted for Kern Miller over Travis Munn, but I could easily change my opinion and I haven't seen enough of the new signings yet. And of course Tom Ward, as shown by when he scooped the player of the month award, has potential.

The midfield three seems well balanced to me and although I haven't seen Matt Wilson play yet, he sounds like exactly the kind of player we needed to complement more creative players like Ben Milnes.

The forward three have plenty of goals in them and I hope the trio are able to have a lengthy run of games together without any interruptions.

I would worry about not having a plan b with this system. We look quite reliant on playing 'pretty' football through the middle. None of the three forwards I've named are particularly suited to the long ball, and the formation obviously means we have less width in midfield too. That problem might be emphasised by the fact that both of our full-backs are aging and might not be able to make flying runs down the wings. I did think the release of Ryan Semple was a mistake. We saw how he and Jamie Yates provided us with a very fruitful attacking outlet two seasons ago.

Of course we do have Joe French and Jason Stokes, neither of whom I can comment on, although if we were to use them in a different formation then I would question why we released a winger who would surely be one of the better ones available at this level?

Overall, I think it will be interesting to see in the first five matches or so how we get on with whatever system Jason Lee uses. Flexibility is needed to challenge for promotion so I think how Jason Stokes and Joe French get on could be key.

woad_pilgrim

Re: Your Lineup?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
I'd guess the same side as you with the exception of Jones starting in place of Fairclough. If Ward had been fit then I think he may have started. Bench to consist of:

Drury
Marshall
Fairclough
Reed
Smith

FYI Patrick Munn has gone out on loan along with Field from the 1st team squad and Mike Emery from the reserves to Boston Town, so squad is already down to 19. With Ward injured we're down to 18 so not many decisions to make.

Personally have a good feeling for the coming season and there seems good competition within the squad in all areas. As well as the 21 we also have Lewis Sturman who I think will break into the first team this season and 1 or 2 others from last seasons youth team won't be far behind.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
Agree with WP,s line-up .
From what I,ve seen pre-season we appear to have a plan B,  changing to 4-4-2 by replacing SWD and Milnes with Fairclough and Smith or Stokes.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »
Agree with GHM but in the last quarter we might need plan c!

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »
Jones instead of Fairclough for me patrick. JL isn't keen on a keeper on the bench so we wil probably see Stokes on the bench. Also I would start Reed over Milnes. This leaves French as the man to miss out although I thought he did ok against Peterborough and caused problems with his pace.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »
Fair enough, it's only because you said you couldn't decide between Miller and Munn (I presumed for the Droylesden match) that I thought otherwise.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
Munn looked like a Sunday morning league player at the Spalding match. Big boot anywhere to clear the ball. Not first team standard by a long way.