Author Topic: v Matlock  (Read 20890 times)

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: v Matlock
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »
 I think 433  should be left to the Chelsea s of this world..
   The midfield have to work incredibly hard and be well talented to boot..
     Should be left to the Lampards and Gerrards of this game..

Boo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 11:10:47 PM »
I was impressed with Pearson pre-season and believe he should start at centre back now he's recovered from injury.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »
Well, since Matlock bummed us in the gob on our own turf last year, I'm delighted with the point - onwards and upwards. With this steady points scoring, we'll be there or thereabouts at Christmas and, once the team has properly gelled, we'll be ready to press on and emphatically piss this tinpot pub league into oblivion.

That's the spirit ;D

The thing is though LCB he's right. Pre-season most including me thought we'd struggle early doors as the team would need time to gel. 10 points from 3 aways and a home game has raised expectations as Tom has said. Now we seem to be getting the sort of performances and results that I was expecting in the first few games.

Yes it was a very dissapointing performance tonight and yes it can be seen as 2 points dropped. For the fans that don't travel to not see the team win again is most dissapointing...but we are still 5th as we stand with IMO the best still to come from this team. If we can stay in touch till Christmas then second half I'm sure the performances and results will come, no league is ever won or lost in September.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:40 AM »
Well, since Matlock bummed us in the gob on our own turf last year, I'm delighted with the point - onwards and upwards. With this steady points scoring, we'll be there or thereabouts at Christmas and, once the team has properly gelled, we'll be ready to press on and emphatically piss this tinpot pub league into oblivion.

That's the spirit ;D

The thing is though LCB he's right. Pre-season most including me thought we'd struggle early doors as the team would need time to gel. 10 points from 3 aways and a home game has raised expectations as Tom has said. Now we seem to be getting the sort of performances and results that I was expecting in the first few games.

Yes it was a very dissapointing performance tonight and yes it can be seen as 2 points dropped. For the fans that don't travel to not see the team win again is most dissapointing...but we are still 5th as we stand with IMO the best still to come from this team. If we can stay in touch till Christmas then second half I'm sure the performances and results will come, no league is ever won or lost in September.

It's good news Kendal lost as well because it shows that noone will run away with it. Good time to draw as we didn't lose ground. We just need to stay in touch with the crowd and learn that maybe the hoof game is not for us.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Seenbetter

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 08:17:30 AM »
The honeymoon period appears to be over. I said after the Manchester game that Woody seems a weak link and I still think that. Hope he improves 'cos he does put the effort in. Back to the long ball again. we seem to resort to that in every game and it's our downfall. Leave the tall guys on the bench and lets see how we play with our talented short arses. we have some good players up there but the ball just gets lofted into the air and we lose the ball. As for the substitution of Newsham, couldn't understand it along with lots of others around me who thought Cotton was the obvious choice. Great expectations in the beginning gradually being eroded to something to do on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening. Still think we will improve because SnH I feel are still weighing up the strengths and weaknesses of the the players and will I hope put a stop to the silly high ball which bypasses most of the ground players.
Now the 'Man in Fancy Dress'. What a waist of space. The trouble is they must be told to expect verbals from the crowd and to ignore it, they therefore think they are doing a good job. Conspiracy theory again :
How was that not a penalty? How was that not a deliberate back pass? How is it that a player running out with the ball at his feet and is sliced down be penalised for fouling the other guy and then spoken to by the idiot. Give it up fancy dress man and go shopping with the wife instead.

Seenbetter

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 08:25:45 AM »
Sorry. Forgot something. Weren't those youngsters playing at half time good. Thoroughly enjoyed watching their groundwork. They didn't have time or room to keep lofting in the air. Well done boys and thanks for the entertainment.
Ps. Thought the ref was rubbish. Clearly missed that the second goal was scored because the lad virtually caught the ball in both hands and pushed it into the net. (Only joking ref, but the lad did carry the ball forward in his arms).
Well done everybody.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »
I always thought of Canoville as an RB, last time he was here he always played there with Ellender and Albrighton etc in the middle. Wood looked dodgy at the Frickley game as well, i hope he doesnt get targeted, but Liam Parker played at RB some of last season too, hes good there.

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »
Seingbetter spot on, although the first I've seen I can understand why people are frustrated.  For the first 20mins I thought its the best I've seen Boston play for years. PH somes it up spot on in the match review.........started well, dropped off finished well, same in the second half apart from the finish well ::)  sustaining the first 20 mins performance for longer is the agenda as we'd have cruised that match so clearly the ability is there.

The front 2/3, not quite sure what it was, need to be more mobile as thats how the chance came about Davidson was too easy to read.  Last night looked like a team trying a bit too hard in the last 1/3rd with balls being over hit and too strong.  Needed to be a bit more patient.

As for the ref usual Unibond standard and yes looked like a pen to me but that run was about the best we saw of Kennedy.  The no 2 looked decidedly average and uncomfortable whan people running at him, his touch was iffy as well.

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
Last night was the first chance I have had to see the "new" team having been on holiday and must agree with a lot of the comments on here..Too much hoofball and not enough keep ball,the Matlock number 2 had a storming game,strong in the tackle,distributed the ball well and had pace up and down the line.
Davidson was poor,he was out jumped for every header and always waited for the ball to come to him instead of going towards it,our best play came when we got down the flanks and got a cross in but these were few and far between.
On the last 30 minutes of play I was pleased with the point as we were under the cosh and against a better finishing team could have been punished.

As for the referee,I was stood down Spain Road about 10 yards from the goal line and it was a stonewall penalty,the ref wasn't even going to book anyone til Matlock moaned about it,mind you,he did play it right for our goal when their defender went down,some refs would have stopped the game for treatment but the rule states only head injuries should be treated straight away so he got top marks for that...

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 01:38:48 PM »
Matlock's number 2 was Scott Brough, who used to play for us.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
think its time to try the little uns up front clarke and newsham much more mobile and i think or hope anyway that we would play the ball more to feet as the hoof wouldnt be a lot of use with these two. should give some of the other lads a run out this weekend as just lately some weaknesses have been very noticable on a regular basis and it might pay to try out some other ideas against a supposedly weker outfit.

Pride of Bostonshire

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »
maybe 7 pts in 1st 3 games wasn't the best thing too do ,because it seems now the expectations are huge

yes we wanna be a team challenging but gotta remember this team is still gelling as a unit

agree their is some tweaking too do here and there but i believe R&S will see this and adress the problems

i feel we need to be playing 4-4-2 so were able to stretch teams ,the 4-3-3 were playing atm seems abit too narrow at times with not natural wide outlet

keep the faith in these lads, this time last year all we were asking for was effort, and we've got that now

Onwards and Upwards  !

Absolutely spot on!!!!

It's people seem to expect Wood & Cullingworth to play really well, why?

They are both isolated at full back with no support or options in front of them.  When they are holding back as cover there are moans that they aren't up front putting the crosses in and when they are up front there are moans if the opposition break.  What the hell do you people expect when we play 4-3-3?  I'm not surprised they look a bit jaded as they are playing 2 positions at the same time.

There was one point where Cullingworth went forward and got doubled up on by their winger and full back so he played it inside.  He then got it straight back, still had no options, and returned it inside.  At this point the ball was punted over the top of the Matlock defense for him to chase.  When he didn't get there someone had a go that he was lazy!

Also despite having a go and saying Davidson wasn't good enough earlier in the season I think he did a fantastic job of holding the ball up last night and he even won a few in the air.  Well done to the lad!

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »

I'm still to be convinced by the 4-3-3 system that we seem to be adopting.

For me, the central striker is too isolated as the two other front players are too wide. And the midfield is too narrow, with Camm, Sleath and Church all too close to each other. Matlock stretched the play across the whole width of the pitch last night, and I'm not sure that we did.

I think we have the personnel for a more conventional 4-4-2 using traditional wingers. Let's get Kennedy on one side and Cotton on the other, let's turn defenders and get crosses in from the byline for Davidson and Clarke. My formation on Saturday would be:

Evans or Butcher

Wood Pearson Parker Cullingworth

Cotton Church Camm Kennedy

Clarke Davidson

Subs:
(I think we can name seven and presumably Gainsborourough won't want Austin cup-tied):
- Evans or Butcher
- Sleath
- Suarez
- Newsham
- Jackson
- Ashton
- Clancy

father Ted

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
  Seems good to me  L P ..tho I might try Newsh up front for mobility and bench Davidson
   And if another centre-back gets crocked they ll have to get someone in ..as I dont fancy Wood or Cullwth in that position ..

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »
Simon Ashton..
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/