Author Topic: BUFC on TV in the 1960's  (Read 5345 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
BUFC on TV in the 1960's
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
I've just picked up the Barnet v Bufc EPFL programme from 25.3.69, it states that the October game at York St attracted a crowd of 2345 and was televised.

Anyone remember that? Can our resident Olympian and Club Historian remember it? ;)

Wasn't the home game from the season we topped the Conference v The Bees also live on TV?

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: BUFC on TV in the 1960's
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:14:31 PM »
Anyone remember that? Can our resident Olympian and Club Historian remember it? ;)

Just before my time unfortunately. I bet there are a few people on here who remember it well though. Wonder if the film is still in the TV archives or whether it suffered the same fate as all those lost Doctor Who episodes from the same era.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »
The year we topped the Conference (presumably you mean the last time Andy) we had several games on TV. Off memory the away 1-0 defeat to Daggers, home 4-3 defeat to Hereford and the final game v Hayes were all live games. These days Conference premier games are covered by premier sports.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
Yes all of those games Carl mentions were on live TV, as was that Barnet match Andy .

In the league I recall a home game against Yeovil (we lost 2-1) and since then a Setanta Shield game at Kettering...

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
Andy,s programme was dated 1969.  A long time before matches mentioned by Carl and John .   
I attended the match but cannot recall any TV transmission ,  maybe it was just highlights on the local TV news.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:18:42 PM »
On a vaguely related topic has anyone else heard anything about the video highlights (MOTD style) of all home games that was mentioned at he end of last season?

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
Andy,s programme was dated 1969.  A long time before matches mentioned by Carl and John .   
I attended the match but cannot recall any TV transmission ,  maybe it was just highlights on the local TV news.

Back in the days when Lincolnshire received Anglia TV rather than Yorkshire TV, we were on the TV fairly regularly. The local nightly news programme was called 'About Anglia' and each Monday they had a sports desk section. It included around 30-45 seconds highlights of several non-league local matches played on the Saturday - I think BUFC and Grantham would probably have been the furthest north (can't recall if Gainsborough were featured) and maybe it went as far south as Chelmsford - but besides those already mentioned you'd get teams such as King's Lynn, Bedford Town, Cambridge United, Bury Town and even Bourne, Holbeach, Stamford and Spalding featured if they were involved in FA Cup or top-of-the-league matches. Anglia's regional Sunday afternoon programme was called 'Match-Of-The-Week' and, in the absence of top flight teams in our region, teams like second tier Hull City, Norwich City and Ipswich Town seemed to be on all the time.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:27:50 PM »
Of course we had About Anglia's sports personality of the year :dan
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:52:19 PM »
Which was won by pilgrims Mike Alexander one year.

Eddie Killick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
Perhaps the best person to ask is John Motson. He`s a faithful Pilgrim fan and his dad used to go to school with my dad in Swineshead. If you read this, John, please help us out.

ceamboy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
   I remember there was a chap who lived in Elmwood Avenue Boston who was a freelance photographer, Bob Whittaker was his name,  he used to be at the local matches filming for Anglia TV and later Yorkshire TV, He also used to sell ice-cream from a van, He would be the man to maybe give an answer to the question, Bob used to film highlights of games and send them in  to be shown on the T V evening news programme.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
You must be a lot older than me ceamboy , now you mention it I can recall it .

Sadly Bob died quite a few years ago .

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »

... and the following year BUFC urged United fans to try and retain the title by voting for centre half Alex Gibson.

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:52 AM »

... and the following year BUFC urged United fans to try and retain the title by voting for centre half Alex Gibson.

Alex Gibson, possibily scored one of the best goals I have ever seen down York Street.

I remember it was a night match and poor Alex was having a minger of a game.  The harder he tried the poorer he played.  He was receiving grief all the way through the match from some old guy in the old Spayne road stand ( nothing changes ).
He picked the ball up in his own half beat what seemed like 10 players ( maths was never my subject ) and curled the ball past the keeper.  He then ran to the old guy grabbed his cap and stamped on it. :D :D
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
Wonderful story dip ,   was the cap a green one ?