Author Topic: Death of a Scarborough player against Boston  (Read 6983 times)

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Death of a Scarborough player against Boston
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:04:38 PM »

There's a "Where are they now?" article in today's Non-League paper, featuring Scarborough's FA Trophy winning side of 1977. The entry for one of the players reads:

Tony Aveyard: Civil servant Tony died tragically at the age of 21, just two days after the final, from head injuries he suffered in a Northern Premier League match against Boston.

All very tragic and puts the game into perspective. This was before my time, and isn't something I'd heard about previously. Does anyone remember what actually happened?

RIP.

Ken Fox

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a Scarborough player against Boston
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 02:51:44 PM »
It was at the end of the 1976/7 season. The NPL title was going to go to either Boston or Northwich with Scarborough due to play both sides. Boston were to play their final game of the season at Scarborough on the Monday then Northwich would play them on the Wednesday. Boston were one point in front of Northwich with a much better goal difference, so a single point against Scarborough would virtually assure them of the title. However they lost the game 2-1. This left Northwich with the task of beating Scarborough but they could only manage a 1-1 draw. They had led at half time but an 85th minute equaliser denied them the point they needed. So Boston won the title because of their better goal difference. The Boston rejoicing was tempered however by the tragic death of 21 year old Scarborough striker Tony Aveyard who had died after leaving the pitch in the game against Boston complaining of double vision before being taken to hospital.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:55:25 PM by Ken Fox »

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
Here's the programme from the Benefit game, its quite a common one as there was a good crowd present. Just a standard 4 page midweek issue as was normal in the 70's.

Kearsley Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
It was at the end of the 1976/7 season. The NPL title was going to go to either Boston or Northwich with Scarborough due to play both sides. Boston were to play their final game of the season at Scarborough on the Monday then Northwich would play them on the Wednesday. Boston were one point in front of Northwich with a much better goal difference, so a single point against Scarborough would virtually assure them of the title. However they lost the game 2-1. This left Northwich with the task of beating Scarborough but they could only manage a 1-1 draw. They had led at half time but an 85th minute equaliser denied them the point they needed. So Boston won the title because of their better goal difference. The Boston rejoicing was tempered however by the tragic death of 21 year old Scarborough striker Tony Aveyard who had died after leaving the pitch in the game against Boston complaining of double vision before being taken to hospital.

I was 19 at the time, still living in Boston and working at Pilgrim Hospital. Four of us from different departments at the hospital took the Monday afternoon off work (including Craig Singleton's Mum Barbara) and drove to Scarborough for the match. I can remember Tony Aveyard leaving the pitch but I'm sure we didn't know about his tragic death until the following day (no email, mobiles, Sky TV etc back then). I do remember feeling absolutely gutted at losing and then being stopped by the police at Tadcaster on the way home. I can't remember why we were stopped, but can recall one of the officers was a Leeds Utd fan and he was amazed that we were making such a journey on a Monday night. My other memories of the week are a bit hazy now, but I do remember our celebrations at winning the league being very muted indeed.

Thinking of that trip has also reminded me of another last game of the season in the 1970s when we needed to win to take the NPL title. Again it was on a Monday night and again a car load of us took time off work to go to the game. This time our destination was Mossley and United duly wrapped up the League title with a 2-1 win. Unfortunately we didn't get to see the game as we broke down on the M62 and were towed to a garage on the outskirts of Huddersfield!!

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:10:44 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen an advert reading "Guns for sale". Was that made illegal in the same way as tobacco advertising?