Author Topic: This Month's WSC......  (Read 2118 times)

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
This Month's WSC......
« on: August 10, 2012, 07:13:55 AM »
Interesting letter in it from Doug Lowe, the guy who wrote the book on Utd in the FA Cup. They did an article on goalkeepers scoring a few months back, apparently Ken Simpkins who kept for us briefly in the late 60's once played as an emergency forward and got a hat trick v Goole......no one could top that!

Also interesting to read the pre season predictions and reminisces of last season, no prizes for guessing who was League 2's most talked about manager.......even the Rotherham fan was apologizing in advance!

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: This Month's WSC......
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 07:54:01 AM »
I was there that night, if I remember correctly even I could have scored them.  I think that season we also had Derrick Kevan on loan.  We seemed to be scoring for fun that year, but seemed to have our fair share of loan forwards.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »
Seem to recall Ken was a Welsh under 21 goalie who previously played for Hartlepool .
If memory seaves me right he completed his hat-trick heading home a corner at the York St end.   
I think he played the next game upfield but never looked capable of scoring another goal .

AlbertBroadbent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
Simpkins also played as an emergency centre forward five times for Hartlepool United, scoring the winner in a 3-2 victory against Port Vale on November 18 1967.

There's a bit about his life, including his Boston career, from this article here:
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/archive/2004/04/30/The+North+East+Archive/6992815.A_Cardiff_return_for_Simpkins_/