Author Topic: 2 points lost  (Read 3994 times)

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
2 points lost
« on: July 31, 2012, 06:27:26 AM »
i cant comment on the game i had a upset tummy/what i will say his we seemed in controll of the game /in fact winning //so why the SUBS ?? i hope lee aint upsett some of our better players /// it nearly went pear shape /had it been leage it would have been 2 points lost //any way we won //well done lads :)

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
Re: 2 points lost
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »
Despite the fact this this was a 'cup' game, the management team are still experimenting and seeing how the team react in different situations.

Stamford came out all guns blazing last night and Boston were often second best during the first half. After half time, Boston took one of their chances and began to control the game as Stamford eventually tired. A scrambled equaliser near the end was disappointing from Boston's perspective but it is early days and I think they will take the positives from the game that they were able to score three goals after being two down and also showed some nice composure with their penalties in the shoot-out at the end.

No Weir-Daley last night (injury ?)but I think we look ok up front. Would still like to see some ball-winning midfield resource recruited and a little more experience in the centre of defence though.

DL

miele

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
i cant comment on the game i had a upset tummy/what i will say his we seemed in controll of the game /in fact winning //so why the SUBS ?? i hope lee aint upsett some of our better players /// it nearly went pear shape /had it been leage it would have been 2 points lost //any way we won //well done lads :)
stamford game

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:52:46 AM »
Very few games when subs not used by any team miele, its all about squads now .
I think it was a case of giving players a run out rather than getting to the final of Lincs Cup .
 I have sure the moaners will like your "2 points lost" analogy.
 "Well done lads " pleases us happy clappers

So well done miele for a very diplomatic posting , one worthy of drawing comment from MLF.
Hope you are better for Weds match.

porl99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:49:19 AM »
It was an entertaining game last night with Stamford dominating the first half and BUFC the second.  Personally I thought the team looked very nervy in the first half whilst Stamford were really up for it.  That said they only had two shots on goal and scored both of them.   Miller's distribution from Centre Half was poor and he lacked pace against the lively Stamford strikers.  French didn't really get involved down the left hand side (although he did give away the penalty).  Both players improved dramatically in the second half.  Boston played almost a 4-4-1-1 formation with Newsham just behind Jones.  Incidentally, I thought Jones worked very hard for the 90 minutes. 

Gary King and Ricky Miller had an 'altercation' in the second half which required both players to have a good talking to by the ref.  I wish Miller all the best as his goal scoring record speaks for himself but he really does need to calm down a bit!  I wonder if we will be seeing Miller again later in the season as a Corby player?

I thought Stainfield was our best performer.  Very committed and dominant in the air - he will be a very important player for us this year.  In my opinion, I don't think we will succeed this season with Milnes and Ross in central midfield.  Ross plays some nice passes but between them will get out battled and out muscled by many of the sides in the league.  I would play Ross further forward, and feel that a defensive midfielder is urgently needed. 

Boston just about deserved the win although I think we all (Jason Lee included) thought they would capitulate once we went 3-2 up.  Credit has to go to them for the fighting spirit that they showed.  Certainly in the second half Boston worked hard and performed well as a team.  Ben Fairclough looked threatening down the right and did superbly well to set up Newsham for his second.

BosLeake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:25 AM »
It was an entertaining game last night with Stamford dominating the first half and BUFC the second.  Personally I thought the team looked very nervy in the first half whilst Stamford were really up for it.  That said they only had two shots on goal and scored both of them.   Miller's distribution from Centre Half was poor and he lacked pace against the lively Stamford strikers.  French didn't really get involved down the left hand side (although he did give away the penalty).  Both players improved dramatically in the second half.  Boston played almost a 4-4-1-1 formation with Newsham just behind Jones.  Incidentally, I thought Jones worked very hard for the 90 minutes. 

Gary King and Ricky Miller had an 'altercation' in the second half which required both players to have a good talking to by the ref.  I wish Miller all the best as his goal scoring record speaks for himself but he really does need to calm down a bit!  I wonder if we will be seeing Miller again later in the season as a Corby player?

I thought Stainfield was our best performer.  Very committed and dominant in the air - he will be a very important player for us this year.  In my opinion, I don't think we will succeed this season with Milnes and Ross in central midfield.  Ross plays some nice passes but between them will get out battled and out muscled by many of the sides in the league.  I would play Ross further forward, and feel that a defensive midfielder is urgently needed. 

Boston just about deserved the win although I think we all (Jason Lee included) thought they would capitulate once we went 3-2 up.  Credit has to go to them for the fighting spirit that they showed.  Certainly in the second half Boston worked hard and performed well as a team.  Ben Fairclough looked threatening down the right and did superbly well to set up Newsham for his second.

Very Good post

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:27:52 PM »

I don't disagree with any of the above.

For all the criticism of the Lincolnshire Shield, I do think Lincoln United and Stamford have both given us better work-outs than Sleaford, Rainworth or Spalding. There were some committed challenges in both games and the restricted use of substitutes meant that more players came out with 90-minutes under their belts. I just wish that the final of the competition could be played in pre-season as well. The likelihood now is that it'll be delayed until March or April, at which point ourselves and either Grantham or Gainsborough will have different priorities and will choose to field reserve team and youth team players. The format of the competition currently does diminish the final, and it's a shame that nobody at the Lincs FA seems to have the common sense to realise that and change things.

We showed good strength of character to come back from two goals down. We were disappointing in the first half, but we grew stronger whilst Stamford tired in the second half. Having taken the lead it was a shame to concede late on, but five well taken penalties settled the outcome. Stamford's keeper was unlucky not to save Jones' penalty, but the rest of them were pretty much unstoppable.

Obviously our second half improvement is all down to the fitness coach fact that we have a younger squad. I think Stamford will have a good season under Drury, though I'm not too sure how he can put Gary King in the starting line-up and leave Ricky Miller on the bench. By the time the league campaign starts (and assuming Miller hasn't moved on two or three times by then), then I'm sure Miller will get the nod.

Incidentally, was Gary King's penalty better or worse than Adam Boyd's? Has either ball ever been seen again?

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »
I'd like to know how we lost 2 points in a cup game?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »
Bloody hell Scott, read his original post!

Posted by: miele    Posted on: Today at 06:27:26 AM
Insert Quote
i cant comment on the game i had a upset tummy/what i will say his we seemed in controll of the game /in fact winning //so why the SUBS ?? i hope lee aint upsett some of our better players /// it nearly went pear shape /had it been leage it would have been 2 points lost //any way we won //well done lads