Author Topic: O/T boston crime stats  (Read 23972 times)

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: O/T boston crime stats
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
What about the people who are already here (by dint of being born here) who sponge off the state?

I can assure you that Romanian pickpockets are the least of our worries when it comes to Olympic related crime!  I think you will find that lots of people will look to exploit the Olympics irrespective of which country is hosting it.   :bunny
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
I live in a country where the native population are outnumbered by about 6:1.
It's obviously a very contentious issue.
The government's immigration policy is simple, you enter the country with either a tourist visa or a residency visa, only obtainable when you have a job. When that job no longer exists for you, you have to leave.
The system has its merits for sure.
Though does not stop racism etc, but all immigrants make a positive contribution to the economy.

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
My apologies I thought we were debating the topic of prejudice.

Please continue and give your reasons for your thoughts on "foreign nationals".

Who are these people?

Why do you have issues with them (are they stealing your women and diluting your culture or just making the queues too long in Poundland)?

Are there any other swathes of humanity that you would wish to banish from your pure race Island nation?

Do you consider that Hitler had a few sensible ideas?

Is it fair to make undereducated Bostonians mix with highly motivated people from the EU who leave their homeland in order to further themselves?

Do you believe that some cultures are superior to others?

Do you understand what the word "prejudice" signifies.

(For the record I attended a state grammar school)

:) :bunny

i'm well aware of your grammar school education.......just waited for you to bite on that one :P

banish is a strong term to use and also an incorrect response to what some are trying to say

yes we all accept (some reluctantly) that whilst we remain part of the EU these foreign nationals are going to keep coming here
however i think what most people want is controlled numbers of who are entering,measures to ensure they are self sufficient,no previous criminal convictions and extra government funding to help boost the number of hospital beds/school places etc. etc.

as for the feckless lazy gits of our own that sponge off our system then i won't argue with you on that - however i don't think you'll ever convince me that our local economy would suffer due to lack of labour if they went home

agricultural towns like ours have been surviving generations after generations on local people sweating blood and tears to make sure the country had fresh vegetables on their plate

the only difference now is that to enjoy a reasonable standard of living they would need to demand more pay due to the high cost of living in this country

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 12:18:21 PM »
My apologies I thought we were debating the topic of prejudice.

Please continue and give your reasons for your thoughts on "foreign nationals".

Who are these people?

Why do you have issues with them (are they stealing your women and diluting your culture or just making the queues too long in Poundland)?

Are there any other swathes of humanity that you would wish to banish from your pure race Island nation?

Do you consider that Hitler had a few sensible ideas?

Is it fair to make undereducated Bostonians mix with highly motivated people from the EU who leave their homeland in order to further themselves?

Do you believe that some cultures are superior to others?

Do you understand what the word "prejudice" signifies.

(For the record I attended a state grammar school)

:) :bunny

i'm well aware of your grammar school education.......just waited for you to bite on that one :P

banish is a strong term to use and also an incorrect response to what some are trying to say

yes we all accept (some reluctantly) that whilst we remain part of the EU these foreign nationals are going to keep coming here
however i think what most people want is controlled numbers of who are entering,measures to ensure they are self sufficient,no previous criminal convictions and extra government funding to help boost the number of hospital beds/school places etc. etc.

as for the feckless lazy gits of our own that sponge off our system then i won't argue with you on that - however i don't think you'll ever convince me that our local economy would suffer due to lack of labour if they went home

agricultural towns like ours have been surviving generations after generations on local people sweating blood and tears to make sure the country had fresh vegetables on their plate

the only difference now is that to enjoy a reasonable standard of living they would need to demand more pay due to the high cost of living in this country

You also have to remeber as an Oldrids Shareholder Mark wants nothing more than lower wage costs to keep his dividends high, the influx of immigrants helps do this hence is overt support for more imigrants to keep the local populace /oiks in their place on lower wages !

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
word has it that when blocbusters on west street shuts it will re-open as another eastern european grocery store

would such high numbers of foreign shops,takeaways and restaurants make boston uninvestable to more familiar high street names

another talking point perhaps  ???

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
I think the main thing that riles me is the way our little town has changed over the years.

Being dragged up in Boston during the 50's and the 60's I have first hand knowledge of the changes ( not always good ) to our little market town.

Perhaps the town centre now resembling the centre of Prague, Warsaw or Moscow, twangs the nostalgia strings.

Over the years various councils and planners have decimated our heritage.  My pet hate being the scar that is John Adams way, that has split the town down the middle.

I yearn for the typical Saturdays of my youth.  Morning spent at the leo Saturday club at the old Odeon cinema.  Then down west st to Jimmy Ward for a Sarsaparilla ( I think this is correct spelling).  Then home for fish and chips ( dad owned a chip shop ) then join another 2,000 souls down Shoddy's Lane.

I yearn for Sharpes fruit and veg delivery via horse and cart.  I yearn for collecting coke from the gas works in an old pram. I yearn for the caffs that seemed to be on every street corner, Rosies caff,  Spic and Span, Cherry corner , The beacon and even Tony's caff. I yearn for the livestock market on a Wednesday.  I yearn for the pop factory. I even yearn for old Sargent Flynn the bobby who used to clip me around the ear.  Saturday nights at the best venue in the country ( The Glider ).

I am not racist, but I think something as to be done to stem the flow of migrant workers, this town is not big enough, that is a fact.
The older I get, the earlier it gets late

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 01:33:23 PM »
Dipy what was the Royal Mail service like in those days ?
Has it improved with the likes of KON?

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 01:39:10 PM »
When I joined " The post office " in 1974 they had just stopped morning inspection, every postie had to line up to make sure they were in uniform to meet the public.  One postie got sent home for wearing brown shoes.  I do not know what the inspector would of made of KON's legs ;) ;)

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
I think the main thing that riles me is the way our little town has changed over the years.

Being dragged up in Boston during the 50's and the 60's I have first hand knowledge of the changes ( not always good ) to our little market town.

Perhaps the town centre now resembling the centre of Prague, Warsaw or Moscow, twangs the nostalgia strings.

Over the years various councils and planners have decimated our heritage.  My pet hate being the scar that is John Adams way, that has split the town down the middle.

I yearn for the typical Saturdays of my youth.  Morning spent at the leo Saturday club at the old Odeon cinema.  Then down west st to Jimmy Ward for a Sarsaparilla ( I think this is correct spelling).  Then home for fish and chips ( dad owned a chip shop ) then join another 2,000 souls down Shoddy's Lane.

I yearn for Sharpes fruit and veg delivery via horse and cart.  I yearn for collecting coke from the gas works in an old pram. I yearn for the caffs that seemed to be on every street corner, Rosies caff,  Spic and Span, Cherry corner , The beacon and even Tony's caff. I yearn for the livestock market on a Wednesday.  I yearn for the pop factory. I even yearn for old Sargent Flynn the bobby who used to clip me around the ear.  Saturday nights at the best venue in the country ( The Glider ).

I am not racist, but I think something as to be done to stem the flow of migrant workers, this town is not big enough, that is a fact.

again some would argue that times change and as such our way of life needs to accept the changes going on around it

for years we have been largely british communities and now we are having to learn to adapt to foreign cultures invading our 'british society'

and that is where division is happening - there are those willing to accept it and embrace it and there are those who wish to remain 'british' rather than become a multi-cultural community

not sure if either side of the arguement is the correct view but with the amount of discontent within the 'british' people then those in power do need to somehow strike a happy medium that suits all and allow us to unite our communities once again

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »
I recently read  a piece by an author who upholds your views AA. He bemoaned the fact that strangers appeared to have taken over his beloved country, had strange customs and ate strange foods, were depriving the indigenous population of their jobs and were taking their land. The author was the Venerable Bede putting his thoughts onto parchment in the Anglo Saxon chronicles, moaning about the Normans. Nothing changes.

See my previous post and define "British". What particular influx of "immigrants" do you think you are decended from.

As I have mentioned before, perhaps the Spanish think the same about Fred's Fish and Chips, Chardonnay's Beauty Salon, Alf and Betty's " British" Pub etc, on the Costa Del Sol, or is that different.

Do you know the 5th largest French city? No? Well it's London, 500,000 Frenchies in London. They must be taking quite a few jobs from the locals. Send them back?

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2012, 03:46:10 PM »
See my previous post and define "British". What particular influx of "immigrants" do you think you are decended from.

i dare say if i were able to trace my family tree back through history then its quite likely i may have descended from germans/norwegians/french/irish or maybe some other major race that have impacted on our green and pleasant land

however 'british' can only be defined as to what each individual sees it as

some may see it as stiff upper lip/afternoon tea/god save the queen and blighty whilst others embrace the changing face of our communities and our country and may see 'britsh' as those who have settled and contributed to our ever changing society

Dipdodah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
Whether it be British, Polish, Russian or Martian the fact is the crime rate and nature of crime is becoming a problem in Boston.

Perhaps we could have a Polish or Russian officer on the beat.

Perhaps with the dire lack of funding we are lucky to have any officer on the beat.

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
Bede must have had phenomenal foresight since he pre-dated the coming of the Normans by more than three hundred years. However, he did have a few unfortunate experiences with vikings and southern Saxons.

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
Apologies, you are right, it was another scribe who commited his thoughts to parchment. Getting my Bedes, Landfrancs, Ethelreds, Edreds and Wulfwys all mixed up. It's my age you know.   ;D

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »
We have to face it, they are here to stay.

I have no problem with that.  What I have a problem with, is people who say there is no problem.

We are a little market town and we are not able to cope with the big influx.

Anyone who has an opinion on the subject is branded a racist.

We can not take the head in the sand attitude, there is a problem and 1.7 million households did not send their census form back.  37% East Midland households did not send them back.  So how many live in houses of mutiple occupation?

With an increase of 15.7% in Boston ( official ) and no extra money to pay for our already over- stretched services it is no wonder people take a dim view on migrant workers.

This may sound a bit extreme, but if all migrant workers were made to carry their passport, then asked to show it on demand. I would think in no time all migrants that are here illegally would be identifyed.  Then the home office then could take action against these people.

I have no objection to anyone willing to work and create a better life for them and their families. It is the people that have come here illegally and rob innocent people that I object to.

I will wait for the replies with interest, but what I say is correct, perhaps the the way I want to remedy it may be a bit extreme.

Public services being stretched isn't the fault of immigrants. They pay their taxes and thus there should be money to expand provision in proportion to the local population - if this doesn't happen it's the fault of bureaucrats. You could put a blue ribbon on a pig in Boston and it would win an election - there's absolutely no incentive for a politician to argue for the area to get an increased share of the cake so I suspect this 'problem' will never be resolved. I use quote marks as I'm unsure if, on balance there is actually a problem... e.g. wasn't there something a while ago about how the Pilgrim's maternity ward wouldn't now be justifiable if it wasn't for the fertility rates of Eastern Europeans?