Author Topic: Chairman vows to deliver new stadium for Boston United  (Read 12375 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Chairman vows to deliver new stadium for Boston United
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »

DAVID NEWTON has promised to deliver Boston United a new stadium despite revealing the project has encountered a setback.

The Pilgrims chairman updated supporters on the club's search for a new home at a fans' forum last week.

United have just six years left on their current lease at the Jakemans Stadium, with construction of a new ground set to take around two years.

Newton has narrowed his search by pinpointing two preferred sites.

But for the project to succeed, an enabling development – like shops, bars and a hotel – is essential to fund it.

However, with the recession continuing to bite, Newton admitted negotiations with key potential partners have stalled.

"We've been trying to move that forward and it's proving rather difficult in the current climate," revealed Newton.

"As I've said before we were looking at three sites. We're down to two now.

"Because we haven't got any money, we need an enabling development.

"Obviously, the current climate is not the best for that.

"As with any development like this, sometimes you move forward, sometimes you move back.

"We did think a couple of months ago we were almost there.

"But the companies we were talking to are all reviewing what they are doing.

"For example, we were talking to a hotel operator and things looked quite good.

"It looked like it was going to be quite a lucrative part of the project.

"But they revised their rooms rates across the whole country and as result of that, the value of their product came down and therefore they reduced their offer.

"Once we weighed that up, it wasn't worth doing. They are the sort of things we're coming up against at the moment."

However, Newton has reassured fans that he and vice-chairman Neil Kempster will deliver a stadium that will help take the club forward on and off the pitch.

"We will deliver a new ground, it's just timing," added Newton, the boss of property firm Chestnut Homes.

"We've been here five years and for most of that time, the country has been in recession and it's not getting any better, in fact it's getting worse. Nobody can see an end to it at the moment.

"But it's a fact of life. All the big companies are looking at their trading conditions.

"It's disappointing because we'd just about thought that we'd got there and we were hoping to announce something.

"But those partners have not fallen by the wayside, they're reviewing their position, and without them we can't make it work.

"We've got to move because we've only got six years left on the lease.

"We are in discussions with Boston Borough Council, they are aware of our plans.

"The county council is also in favour of what we're doing and we've got some funding bids in with them.

"There is a whole raft of things we're working on behind the scenes.

"But what we don't want to do is announce that we're going build a new stadium when we're not ready to deliver it."

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chairman vows to deliver new stadium for Boston United
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
Hey Dave,

Are you quite sure that the eminent Rollinson Planning Consultancy are really up to this sort of thing.  Why don't you have another word with Mr Sotnick and see what ideas he has?

1.  Have you tried to negotiate a new lease on YS.  If the so-called double dip recession is so bad, what makes you think someone will want to buy YS from Mr Malkinson?  If you get the council to say that it will not support any development on YS other than something for sporting purposes you may get another leasehold agreement by which time you can start fundraising to buy YS (as you should have been from the outset if you did not have other ideas on your mind!).

2. You said plans would be unveiled in early 2012.  Why make such a promise ? As a seasoned house developer you should be cognisant that market conditions can change so quickly and not make it an appropriate time for a new development? When does your option on Tattershall road lapse? (The one you got from Lavaflow).

3. YS has sufficent land around it to permit an enabling development. Maybe you should try and buy it old boy? ;)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:01:58 PM by Scouse Pilgrim »
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:56:33 PM »
Why are you asking him on here?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

nh83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
what I can't understand is when the Club went into administration the debts were 1.3 million if I remember right.All creditors paid off so we start afresh debt free.Where does 3 million quid come from.According to the Standard the latest figures available show a loss of£190.000 for the year.We are losing nearly 4k a week.Worried

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »
Why are you asking him on here?

Silly person.  :)
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
what I can't understand is when the Club went into administration the debts were 1.3 million if I remember right.All creditors paid off so we start afresh debt free.Where does 3 million quid come from.According to the Standard the latest figures available show a loss of£190.000 for the year.We are losing nearly 4k a week.Worried

Pay more attention then!  You don't think Lavaflow would just walk away after selling the club for a quid do you?  ;)

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
You are mixed up between administration and liquidation nh83.
Also small matters like £100k unpaid FA fine , £75k unpaid loan,  plus £100k rent to pay after rent reassesment .
 As SP says you don,t think Lavaflow would sell the club for a quid do you ?

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
"We've been here five years and for most of that time, the country has been in recession and it's not getting any better, in fact it's getting worse. Nobody can see an end to it at the moment.

Recessions don't turn into depressions overnight, and as for an end to it, if we are in the early throws of a kondratieff winter, like I predicted in 2008, they are 25 year seasons.

While I don't doubt anybody's good intentions, I can see the town of Boston having a team without a stadium to play in and a empty stadium that nobody can do anything with.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:12:56 PM by qwerty »

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »

Recession don't turn into depressions overnight, and as for an end to it, if we are in the early throws of a kondratieff winter, like I predicted in 2008, they are 25 year seasons.

While I don't doubt anybody's good intentions, I can see the town of Boston having a team without a stadium to play in and a empty stadium that nobody can do anything with.

Er, quote by David Newton, not me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:49:19 PM by Shoddys Lane »

nh83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
No G HM .Liquidation is the end of the existing company.C V A is where you come to an arrangement with creditors ,eg x amount in the pound they are owed.This is why big points deductions now happen to stop this, as it is unfair on the well run clubs.Clubs in administration can wipe most of there debts off and start again.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
You are right about liquidation nh83 with all debts being wrote off and a clean slate to start again under another name . e.g. Chester , Nuneaton, Telford , Halifax etc .

You have got your figures mixed,  as Newton states we went in admin to the tune of
£3,006,342 . 68  thats where the £3million quid comes from .

Well run clubs don,t go into admin and a big points reduction does not deter rogue owners from going into admin . What it does do is punish the clubs and fans when these scumbags flee .

"Clubs in admin can wipe most of these debts off and start again " sounds easy enough !
 I bet Newton did,nt find it that easy .

Looking at the creditors list shows we owed :
Glasgow rangers £38k
Chester £5.7k
Portsmouth £13k
plus sums to other various League clubs .

nh83

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
G H M.What was the actual total figure figure of debt  on the creditors list.I am sure it wasn' t 3 million quid.It was reported to be over 1 million not 3 million.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:33 PM »
The figure was exactly as stated above nh83 .
A few names on the creditors list:
 Lavaflow            £1.4 MILLION
 PAYE                   £847,000 . 00
 VAT                     £214,300 .00
 PFA                     £14K
 Child Support Agency  Re:  ****  *******   £1,175.00
     "          "            "       "    *******  *****   £1,100. 00

nh83

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
Thanks G H M .

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
Looking at the figures do you get the impression some of the players were more productive  off the than on it.?