Author Topic: OK i know we've just lost but...........  (Read 13840 times)

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: OK i know we've just lost but...........
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »
Outclassed? Yes.

But the key thing is we gave ourselves half a chance of nicking a goal on the break or if we could hold our nerve winning on penalties.

I'd rather give ourselves half a chance like we did than getting smashed like we did against the Germans in 2010

+1, sometimes you have to just admit you're not good enough and take you chances with whatever you can get.  For doing that bloody mindedly, I salute Roy.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 10:29:50 PM »
Outclassed? Yes.

But the key thing is we gave ourselves half a chance of nicking a goal on the break or if we could hold our nerve winning on penalties.

I'd rather give ourselves half a chance like we did than getting smashed like we did against the Germans in 2010

+2  For me , Roy got this group of players as far as possible for a limited team that didn't have a manager six weeks ago. Until schools football upwards is changed  , and passing and holding the ball become the focus we will struggle to keep up with the Germany and Spain's of the footballing world.   We tried to play attacking football against Germany in the World Cup and were lucky to lose 4-2 ahem 4-1, even managing to concede one of the goals from a hoof out from the German keeper!  Our defence in the Euro's was much better organised  . This tournament has been much better than the last  World Cup, better games and no Vuvuzelas !

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 01:22:06 AM »
Hodgson did well and got the players organised but we reached our limitations and subsequently we went out when we faced a top ten side who were techniquiely better. At some point the whole thought process and philosophy behind the way we play and run the game in this country has to change though if we are going to beat sides like Italy at major tournaments. For me it is fantastic to see that this transition has already started at BUFC under Jason Lee. Mid January the 'penny dropped' and JL realised that for all the effort and passion shown by the likes of himself and Kevin Austin they were no longer good enough and the long ball system wasn't going to be successful long term. Boston started playing 4 3 3, dropped the big old men and weren't afraid to try and play out from the back and try and pass through the opposition. With the old guard dropped JL gave players such as Reed, Stainsfield and Smith a chance and all did ok. Whilst results towards the end of the season were not got performances improved, often with change  progress is stalled until the new style is mastered. JL has made it clear from day one that he wants to see the whole club going forward  NOT just the first team and has installed his ethos into the club. Towards the end of the season the reserves also started playing 4 3 3. It is no coincidence that Germany have several fantastic young players coming through their youth system  after rethinking their youth football and for me it is also no coincidence that under Scott and Hurst ZERO players came through our youth or reserve team and it was obvious that they showed no interest in either (not even playing players n the reserves after an injury lay off.) No disrespect intended towards S and H though as they did a good job but were only interesting a short term answer hence didn't intent on hanging around. Under JL Reed has already come through the youths and Ward from the reserves with several young local lads also given an opportunity.

No intention to start another JL debate, just putting into perspective the long term approach that hasn't really been recognised and that the clubs future looks good on the pitch along with the job David Newton is doing off the pitch.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:26:07 PM »
http://www.midlincs.com/index.php/2-webpages/88-reviewfa

Changes are afoot, the midlands league has a piece on it.  Not sure I see what it achieves apart from the half way house before kids jump to the big goals.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »
Well the way that semi-final panned out has pretty much completely justified Hodgson's approach...

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »
Well the way that semi-final panned out has pretty much completely justified Hodgson's approach...

in what way?

do you think the germans would have preferred to sit deep and put eleven men behind the ball and hope they get to penalties

i say again i'd rather see us go out of a tournament giving it a damned good go and maybe face a small thrashing than play boring defensive football making no realistic attempt to score and hope we may win on penalties (despite the fact that our record in penalty shootouts is appalling)

it may be the end of the tournament for the germans but at least they can go home knowing that they tried to attack and score against all their opponents and bar italy did a pretty good job of it too

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »
The Germans were thought of as the most potent attacking force in the tournament before last night. They played that game and Italy soundly beat them. If England had tried to do the same thing as the Germans, it would have likely been even worse - we'd have almost certainly gone out by a good few goals in normal time. As it is, we got to the point where we were ahead on penalties and briefly favourites to go through. I think I know which method gave us a better chance of progressing.

Hodgson is fully aware of our players' obvious limitations and played to them accordingly. Just because we're not playing an expansive style doesn't mean we haven't "had a go" - I reckon it was the most organised, committed and hard working tournament showing from England in quite a few years.

Chelsea could have tried to play a bit of football in the Nou Camp against Barcelona. They probably wouldn't have a Champions League title to their name if they did, and I think I know which option most of their fans prefer.

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
The Germans were thought of as the most potent attacking force in the tournament before last night. They played that game and Italy soundly beat them. If England had tried to do the same thing as the Germans, it would have likely been even worse - we'd have almost certainly gone out by a good few goals in normal time. As it is, we got to the point where we were ahead on penalties and briefly favourites to go through. I think I know which method gave us a better chance of progressing.

Hodgson is fully aware of our players' obvious limitations and played to them accordingly. Just because we're not playing an expansive style doesn't mean we haven't "had a go" - I reckon it was the most organised, committed and hard working tournament showing from England in quite a few years.

Chelsea could have tried to play a bit of football in the Nou Camp against Barcelona. They probably wouldn't have a Champions League title to their name if they did, and I think I know which option most of their fans prefer.

Yes but Chelski only did it in one game, we were negative in all our games.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Swineshead Pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »

Yes but Chelski only did it in one game, we were negative in all our games.

Did you not see the semi final?

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 11:27:17 PM »

limitations?

our team contained highly paid and skillful players who would almost certainly get into most (if not all) of the top teams in europe and have a major impact because those teams would encourage those players to play to their strengths?

does rooney really play his best football trying to man mark (pirlo)?

they say roy will have learnt something from this tournament - well i hope the lesson is that you may overcome relative minnows of football playing a boring defensive style but if you wanna beat the better teams of europe and the world you've gotta beat them at their own game (ie: have a go and attack)

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
our team contained highly paid and skillful players who would almost certainly get into most (if not all) of the top teams in europe and have a major impact because those teams would encourage those players to play to their strengths?

Disagree. For most of our players, hard working and competent is the best you could describe them as on the international stage.

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
Conclusion...we are shit!

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
Conclusion...we are shit!

Conclusion... You're a wind up merchant.

Scouse Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
Nationality is a mere geographical accident (or at least it should be to those of you who have never got out of Boston). 

So why support such a rubbish team full of overpaid feckless yobs who seem not to be able to keep their hands off other people's girlfriends/wives?

To those of you who did not pay much attention at school the "?" is an interrogation mark and means the phrase preceding is a question (as opposed to a statement).   :bunny
The B-Ark.  For Boston fans to talk about anything and everything they want to. Including trolls.

Dave H

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
If my BGS records are correct, you are Mark Isaac (1G) who borrowed my copy of the "Silver Sword " by Ian Serrailler on 14/9/76 and have never returned it. Scandalous behaviour , what would Kenny Whittle say ? 
 (And I hasten to add,  you struggled  at reading aloud , if my memory serves me correctly, hence you shouldn't be lecturing people about the in's and outs of the English language).
 I would be most grateful if you would return my copy at a  home game this coming season.......... on the other hand,  pigs might fly .
 (Sorry to  have left this issue 36 years, but I was worried you may post a photo of my house on the internet if I upset you).
 Dave