Author Topic: OK i know we've just lost but...........  (Read 13839 times)

amberarmy

• View Profile
OK i know we've just lost but...........
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
if the sort of football we've had to endure from this england side throughout the tournament is typical of what we can expect under hodgson then sack him now!!!!

don't know about you guys but i want england to succeed by outplaying their opponents and not parking the bus hoping to grab a lucky breakaway goal

ok against france i can understand the cautious approach but they continued that style against the mighty nations of sweden and ukraine and yes...we may have won but it was hardly getting you off your seat cheering on the great football

discuss

Myleftfoot

• Veteran Member
  • There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. Keegan
    • View Profile
Re: OK i know we've just lost but...........
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
You need to be a bit more positive! C'mon 2014 X  ;)
“Football is war minus the shooting.” – George Orwell

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
You need to be a bit more positive! C'mon 2014 X  ;)

perhaps if the team showed more positivity then maybe i will

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:27 PM »
AmberArmy Roy is still unbeaten! Keep him and have faith.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
Facts are we'll have to be very very lucky to win anything (or even reach a final) playing as we do at present. A lot has been made about Germany totally rethinking how they played the game just after the turn of the Millennium. Personally think we need something similar, cannot see any manager making much difference until we learn how to keep the ball as well as the top 8-10 sides (which we are not whatever the FIFA rankings say).

As far as Roy and the current crop of players are concerned I think they did well to get out of the group as in every game we had to soak up pressure and ride our luck. Italy gave us a footballing lesson (first 25 mins apart) and Germany would have destroyed us had we won those pens. We are never going to win tournaments hitting long balls to Carroll.

Until we pass the ball better quarter finals is the best we can hope for IMO as the better teams will always out-pass us and us chasing a game for so long leaves players with nothing left.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
if the sort of football we've had to endure from this england side throughout the tournament is typical of what we can expect under hodgson then sack him now!!!!

don't know about you guys but i want england to succeed by outplaying their opponents and not parking the bus hoping to grab a lucky breakaway goal

ok against france i can understand the cautious approach but they continued that style against the mighty nations of sweden and ukraine and yes...we may have won but it was hardly getting you off your seat cheering on the great football

discuss

We're not good enough at present to outplay our opponents, we tried that vs Germany at the World Cup and got smashed. It's clear we need a Pirlo, a playmaker.

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:58:26 AM »

Did Roy get the substitutions wrong last night?

As the game progressed it became clearer that we'd be the happier side if the game went to penalties. If they'd still been on the pitch, wouldn't Milner, Parker and Welbeck all have been likely penalty takers?

Ashley Young had a poor tournament throughout. I'm not sure he should have even started against the Italians, but in any case he should have gone off ahead of Milner. A poor penalty summed up his tournament. When you lean back whilst taking a penalty the ball will always rise. And Young was so lent back so far that he was lucky the ball didn't completely clear the crossbar. No excuses, players at the top level (especially forwards) should know better.

No blame on Ashley Cole - he hit the target and made the goalkeeper make a save. That's all you can ask for.

Apart from a header from Newsham-range, Rooney's contribution to the tournamet (from open play) amounted to very little. He wasn't fit. Welbeck on the other hand was probably our best player in the tournament, and his movement and work rate gave defenders something to think about. As extra time approached, it should have been Rooney that made way for Carroll and not Welbeck.

And then there was the odd substitution of Jordan Henderson for Scott Parker. Did Henderson actually touch the ball after he came on? I'm not convinced he's Premiership class, let alone England class.

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »

discuss

We're not good enough at present to outplay our opponents, we tried that vs Germany at the World Cup and got smashed. It's clear we need a Pirlo, a playmaker.

i'm not so naive that i think we have the best players in the world but we had a good enough team to have a go at what was a very ordinary italian side (except pirlo) but boring hodgson had the team sitting back and defending deep allowing the italians greater possession which tired our guys out chasing the ball so when it did finally go to penalties our guys were physically shot of energy and totally lacking confidence

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »

Did Roy get the substitutions wrong last night?

As the game progressed it became clearer that we'd be the happier side if the game went to penalties. If they'd still been on the pitch, wouldn't Milner, Parker and Welbeck all have been likely penalty takers?

Ashley Young had a poor tournament throughout. I'm not sure he should have even started against the Italians, but in any case he should have gone off ahead of Milner. A poor penalty summed up his tournament. When you lean back whilst taking a penalty the ball will always rise. And Young was so lent back so far that he was lucky the ball didn't completely clear the crossbar. No excuses, players at the top level (especially forwards) should know better.

No blame on Ashley Cole - he hit the target and made the goalkeeper make a save. That's all you can ask for.

Apart from a header from Newsham-range, Rooney's contribution to the tournamet (from open play) amounted to very little. He wasn't fit. Welbeck on the other hand was probably our best player in the tournament, and his movement and work rate gave defenders something to think about. As extra time approached, it should have been Rooney that made way for Carroll and not Welbeck.

And then there was the odd substitution of Jordan Henderson for Scott Parker. Did Henderson actually touch the ball after he came on? I'm not convinced he's Premiership class, let alone England class.

I think most of our "in form" players didnt get enough time on the pitch, Walcott (surprisingly), Carroll and Chamberlain all should have played ahead of Milner and Young, who were both atrocious. And Glen Johnson should have taken a penalty.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »
The reality is we are no good enough , in the game I was watching at one stage the stats said 300 England passes reached their target ,  700 Italian passes reached their target .
Takes no debating to conclude  England were outclassed ,  while the Prem League is
overloaded with foriegn players things will not change .

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
The back five all should take credit for effectively getting us that far.  For all the ranting and raving Spayne Rd style I hear at Wembley about Johnson being not good enough, poor defensively and a waste of a shirt.  He did well and was one of our better performers in the tournament. We didn't miss Rio because Lescott did well and although detestable as people, Cole and Terry were superb throughout.

There is always a doubt over Rooney at the major events and he hasn't performed for a long time.  Always unfit in or before a tournament and never a game changer.

As for Roy, he got the best out of a bad bunch, give him another shot and hope he now leaves behind Lampard, Rio etc for a more youthful build to the future approach.  We need a complete midfield re-build and to blood some young strikers.  We'll no doubt breeze qualification and be back to square one in two years time.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »

discuss

Someone like... Jack Wilshere?
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

amberarmy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
you could have the best playmaker in midfield and the hottest striker on the planet in your team but if your manager tells you all to get behind the ball and defend you're not going to win the games against the bigger teams around

like i said it was a very ordinary italian side which on paper we could have beat but our tactics allowed them to dominate possession and dictate the game

if only hodgson had ordered them to attack the dodgy looking italian defence we might be looking forward to thursday against the germans

i feel the media are focusing too much on the fact we lost another penalty shootout rather than highlighting the negative tactics we deployed throughout the tournament

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:46 PM »
Sad to admit but we were outclassed by "a very ordinary italian side "
Every England manager has been made the scapegoat over the years ,  the real problem is we have not got the players to make a top team .
The FA have got to move out of the dark ages and get a top national coaching system to improve
our skills.   Foreign players permitted to play for Prem league  teams must be reduced .

BUFC Loyal

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »
Outclassed? Yes.

But the key thing is we gave ourselves half a chance of nicking a goal on the break or if we could hold our nerve winning on penalties.

I'd rather give ourselves half a chance like we did than getting smashed like we did against the Germans in 2010