Author Topic: sleath  (Read 10457 times)

pilgrim4life

• View Profile
sleath
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »
see danny sleath has moved on to nuneaton. Good luck to him and hope he makes a better go of it than church did last season. Now we really need to make a big signing to replace him!

kingofnaves

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: sleath
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
Gutted! Looking at the team now it looks weaker than last season.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:10:41 PM »
Exactly my reaction.  Gutted.

Fair play though, wants to give it a try at a higher level you cannot argue with that.  Good luck to him.

Pilgrim21

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
Good luck to the lad. He's given us great service and I hope it works out for him at Nuneaton.

bostonwoody

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
Good luck Danny, thanks for all you've given at York Street, hope it works out at Nuneatom for you

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 05:55:38 PM »
Good luck to him. My favourite player of the last three years...

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »
Best of luck to him, like Pearson and Church before him he never let us down and deserves his chance at a higher level.

Am with KoN & MNH on this one too, we look a lot poorer without his name on the teamsheet.........we'll now see how good our ex Premiership management team are now, because he'll be a big miss and will take some replacing.

lonegunman

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
I agree 100% with that NF. He would have been a huge player for us this season, the lad will take some replacing. So there's the first challenge for the new look management team, find someone that will replace what could have been our best midfield player.

check the grassy knoll and the chips and curry  :bunny
America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
When Confronted By A Difficult Problem, You Can Solve It More Easily By Reducing It To The Question, "How Would The Lone Ranger Have Handled This?

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:43 PM »
Going to be a big loss for us for next season.Good luck Danny,hope it goes well for you.

nh83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »
Will be difficult to replace.Good luck to him

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »
Bit gutting that our best player has just buggered off to a club that has only existed for four years, isn't it?

Oakham Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 02:00:28 PM »
Yes, Pete, but it's not really a 4-year-old club, is it (only officially)? Playing at the same ground, more or less the same name. It's just that they didn't do the decent thing, as our owners did, of paying off and just about managing to stay afloat. And we got the same punishment of demotion by two leagues, as they did. Same as Halifax. It makes you wonder why DN bothered.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 07:21:28 PM »
Yep good luck Sleathy will be missed.

Pete I agree with OA, Nuneaton are essentially the same team. Also the only reason he has joined them is because they are a league higher, if they'd have stayed at our level he wouldn't have gone there.

Worked best in his first 2 seasons where he played centre mid along with Anthony Church in the 4-4-2 operated by Scott and Hurst. Church did most of the dirty work whilst Sleath was the more creative. I know it's a cliche but he has a great engine, will run all day.

Under Jason Lee in the 4-3-3 it hasn't suited Danny as much IMO, although it has been difficult to say as he has missed a fair chunk of the season initially when he was at the Student Games in China but latterly through injury.

Although he will be missed not sure he was guaranteed a place in the starting side next year anyway. We have missed a Church type presence in that middle 3, with Ian Ross and Ben Milnes both more creative players. I think we are looking for a ball winner in the middle meaning 1 of the 3 would miss out. Ross will be the first name on the team sheet meaning Sleathy would have been battling it out with Milnes for the final midfield spot IMO.

Will be interesting how it works out for Danny, Church was the more likely to step up a level but hasn't really made it at Grimsby and has been let go.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:35:50 PM by woad_pilgrim »

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
Danny a great team player who never let us down , will he make it at BSP level ?
Will he be back at YS mid-season ?
His problem may be having to adjust to a higher league in what may be a poor team .
I

Pete Brooksbank

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 09:25:08 PM »
I don't agree with the 'same team' thing. Nuneaton Borough are gone, consigned to history, like Maidstone United, Aldershot, Leeds City, and Glasgow Rangers. Of course the ground and the fans will largely be the same, but they aren't the club itself.

Anyway, it wasn't really meant to be a snide remark directed at Sleath. Just depressing that a team can renege on its financial obligations, start again and basically act as if nothing has happened, with a minor demotion. Nuneaton Town even claim the history and honours of the old club. That's just not right, particularly when clubs like Boston and, lately, Darlington have fought so hard to stay alive and retain their heritage.