Author Topic: VOLUNTEER REQUIRED  (Read 8548 times)

cookie

• View Profile
VOLUNTEER REQUIRED
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »
Volunteer required to collect tickets at the door of The Pilgrim Lounge on Saturday Nights.
Time 7.00pm to 10.00pm
Club Shirt & tie provided.
Remuneration will be neglible / negotiable with either myself or Bar Manager Ian Duck ....but could consist of a few pints!

Mr Tickle

• View Profile
Re: VOLUNTEER REQUIRED
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »
I nominate Fred!

Be nice to see him back on the door

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »
You can contact me on 01205 355355 or mobile 07946 748333 ...or email chris@chriscookprint.co.uk
By the way we are not looking for a bouncer just somebody to take tickets and money on the door, sat inside the Pilgrim Lounge.

freiston fan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
Chris,

Regarding the comedy night any ideas what to expect?

For years a crowd of us have gone to the comedy club at Blackfriars but they have just stopped for no apparent reason.

Are these comedians likely to be old school or alternative style ?

Many thanks

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »
Alternative .....I think! .....I hope! .....I'm sure!

Welcome to Tonight’s Comedy Club Compere
Frank Honeybone

Frank has been performing on the comedy circuit since the start of 2004. His relaxed, engaging style is coupled with a razor-sharp wit which makes his banter with audiences a joy to watch, whether as an MC or performing a set. No heckler has ever left one of Frank's gigs feeling insulted, just a bit silly.
He has delighted and outraged crowds across the country with his chats about Wales, women and cut-price sado-masochism. He has held audiences rapt as he talks openly and frankly about his family, religion, leaving home and his experiences with IVF, and audiences warm to him immediately.
Not afraid to stage-dive to embrace or kiss hecklers, he thrives on establishing an inclusive atmosphere at any gig he performs at, and is always happy for people to join in.
In addition to this, Frank's gift for impersonation and accents have marked him out as an able performer with the scope to deal with a wide variety of comedy audiences ranging from young urban crowds to more mature gatherings.
At the start of his comedy career Frank appeared in the final of the Laughing Horse New Act Competition 2004, and was a finalist at the London Comedy Festival 2004 New Act Competition and the FHM Holsten Pils New Act Competition 2004. He was also a So You Think You're Funny semi-finalist in 2004.
In 2005, he was the winner of the Home Nations Comedy Championship held at the Rib-Tickla Comedy Club in Havant, beating off strong opposition from his English, Irish and Scottish counterparts.
Over the past few years, Frank has established himself as a much in-demand MC at many venues nationwide, also securing residencies in both Cardiff and Reading. He has also proved himself on the corporate circuit, hosting events for HSBC, RCM and the BBC.
Frank has worked as a fishmonger, a fitter's mate, a barman and latterly as a director of a London-based investment management firm. He has a degree in theoretical physics and is fluent in French and Welsh.  As Frank has bases in both Camden and Cardiff, it gives him ample scope to work on the London circuit, and also venues further afield.
Frank rolls his own, likes the Times crossword and a stirred Martini, shaves using a cut-throat razor and is a member of one of the most brutal Turkish Baths in the East End. A skilled poker player, he makes regular appearances as a guest player on Sky Poker.
Currently Frank also works as part of a double act, called The Sweaty Egg, with Dan Mitchell, and they perform fortnightly at the comedy night they co-promote in The Hawaiian Bar in Cardiff.

Reviews

"He has a slow, deliberate delivery with a rich Welsh gold accent which wieldingly delivers the comedy trove that it promises. His material is witty, warm and scathing and the audience lap this up. His timing keeps the audience hooked waiting for the killer lines which are uncompromisingly delivered. A seriously very funny guy." - Chortle Comedy Forum Review
"He has a nice presence on stage and is a consummate performer." Chortle Comedy Forum Review
"Beautiful raconteur style delivery, immaculately dressed and oozes warmth and charm. Very nice chap as well. Shows that shouting, swearing and mentioning Weapons of Mass Destruction aren't the only way to generate laughs." Chortle Comedy Forum Review
"Book him if he's available, you won't regret it." Chortle Comedy Forum Review
"He is a bastard. A funny bastard." Chortle Comedy Forum Review
"Well worth the effort to go and see him." Chortle Comedy Forum Review
"Lovely turn of phrase both on and off stage. Very jealous of the great big plopdonkey." Chortle Comedy Forum Review
"Frank is a tremendously funny man and an effortlessly charming compere with seemingly an endless supply of material. A top-notch comic...Frank Honeybone has developed into a subtle and engaging story teller...Hilarious! His gags are original and he always brings the audience into his world. This man will go far.....Saw him in Bath, very funny indeed. A good mix of material and a refreshing change in delivery style.....Very engaging and extremely funny..Frank is funny as feck and can adapt to any audience with ease and his likeability allows him to get away with murder; it's all in the delivery." Frank's review page on Chortle
"Very, very funny. One to watch." The Stage
"Once again, the boy Honeybone played a blinder. His darting runs from the wing played havoc with the opposition and his defence-splitting balls were........... sorry, mixed my revies there.......although it actually fits quite well! Seriously, as we've come to expect, Frank was on top form. We are honoured to have him as our resident MC, and you'll be happy to know that the ink is barely dry on his signature on the contract to come back in September!" Gigglers Comedy Club.

John Newton

John began his comedy career in 2003.  He fast became known for his inventive writing, covering a massive spectrum of subjects from the surreal to the hard hitting, yet still managing to remember that “the gag” comes first.  In that respect, he’s an old fashioned gag teller/writer and proud of it.
In 2007 John started work on the Cruise Ship Circuit and in 2008 alone clocked up an impressive 24 Cruises, working on ships such as The Ventura, The Arcadia, The Oceana and Ocean Village 1 & 2.  Performing to a more “mainstream audience” proved a challenge that John relished & he soon became a firm favourite of passengers and crew alike. Travelling from continent to continent has given John a wealth of experience to draw from and makes for an interesting yet hilarious set.

John has stirred away from progressing down the media route with radio and TV appearances preferring to perform live stand-up across the globe in places like:
Abu Dhabi, Alicante, Amsterdam, Bahrain, Barcelona, Burma, The Caribbean, The Channel Islands, Dubai, Estonia, Hamburg, Ireland, Kenya, Munich, Russia, Stockholm

Quotes:

John sucks you into his world with obscurely brilliant comedy”  The Comedy Vibe
“Slick & professional, a gag teller in the traditional mode, Newton is fast of mind and sharp of tongue. Worked the audience skilfully and professionally like a craftsman should” The Comedy Pad
“ John Newton does not need gimmicks stage characters or personas as he has something of more value to any comedian, good old fashioned solid gags” Funny.co.uk.
Live comedy including:
The Glee, Komedia, The Stand, CKP, Off The Kerb, Comicus Ltd, Outside the Box, Alexanders, Big Night Out, Comedy Club, Comedy Company, Paramount, Roar with LaughterCovent Garden, FymFyg, Jesters

Matt Parker

Mathematician turned comedian, Matt Parker’s erudite brand of comedy takes on the topical and the daft in equal measure. Life’s a game for Matt and his playful enthusiasm is so infectious you can't help but be drawn into his comedy world.

Relaxed and measured, Matt meanders through through his thoughts and suggestions as the audience enthusiastically take part. His group-hug approach to humour thinly covers a scientific calculator fast wit that is soon subtracting the piss mercilessly.

A fixture of the illustrious Mathematics speaking circuit since January 2007, Matt has recently stormed into stand-up and has swiftly established himself as a exuberant new act and compère.
2009 Finalist, Oxford Fringe Hobgoblin Comedy Awards 2008 Royal Institution Christmas Lecture warm-up.

Anthony King

Anthony is an outwardly normal looking bloke who turned to comedy after he was disowned by the Catholic Church for confessing in too much detail. Having finally found a use for his twisted sense of humour, Anthony has gone on to perform at all the major comedy clubs across the UK and beyond, including performances in the Netherlands, Dubai, Majorca, Abu Dhabi and Al Ain.

Anthony's devilishly droll deadpan humour, masterful timing and delivery of a stream of one-liners combine to make him one of the most polished performers on the circuit. His act is a combination of his own true-life experiences mixed in with a whole bunch of lies.

Anthony's gigs have not been confined to the small stage; he has also made numerous appearances on TV. These include Granada's MAD FOR IT, Meridian's HOUSE OF FUN, UK Gold's LIVE AT JONGLEURS and he also took part in a live internet broadcast called LIVE FROM LONDON.

As well as his stand-up performances, Anthony is also well known for his writing skills. Credits include a sketch show for Granada, a series of bizarre short stories and a pilot sitcom for Radio 4. He was also chosen to be part of THE COMEDY FACTORY, which was a team of writers brought together by Carlton and KDR Productions to develop and script various ideas for television. Projects included a sketch show, a quiz show, a cabaret show, a sitcom and a very tongue-in-cheek documentary.
After being approached by the city council, Anthony has been setting up courses of comedy workshops in his hometown of Leicester. These workshops have been running since 2003, have proved to be hugely popular and have already produced comedians that have gone on to perform to critical acclaim, both nationwide and locally.

Quotes:

"The gags get better and better" WILLIAM COOK, THE GUARDIAN
"It's the one-liners that set him apart. Sparse, efficient, unexpected - and often with a delicious twinge of underlying nastiness - each one is an elegant example of perfect joke construction." CHORTLE
"King of the one-liners" BBC LONDON LIVE
"They (his one-liners) condense an entire sketch into a single sentence" THE GUARDIAN
"Outstanding is Anthony King, an elegantly mournful figure whose timing and delivery of a stream of one-liners and non-sequiteurs are masterly" THE SCOTSMAN

AJHallgarth

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:28:09 PM »
Matt Parker

Mathematician turned comedian, Matt Parker’s erudite brand of comedy takes on the topical and the daft in equal measure. Life’s a game for Matt and his playful enthusiasm is so infectious you can't help but be drawn into his comedy world.

Relaxed and measured, Matt meanders through through his thoughts and suggestions as the audience enthusiastically take part. His group-hug approach to humour thinly covers a scientific calculator fast wit that is soon subtracting the piss mercilessly.

A fixture of the illustrious Mathematics speaking circuit since January 2007, Matt has recently stormed into stand-up and has swiftly established himself as a exuberant new act and compère.
2009 Finalist, Oxford Fringe Hobgoblin Comedy Awards 2008 Royal Institution Christmas Lecture warm-up.

My my, doesn't life throw up some bizarre coincidences at times?! I used to teach maths on summer schools with this guy in London a couple of years back. Australian fella. I had no idea he'd moved into stand up comedy!

freiston fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
Chris,I congratulate you on such a thorough reply.

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
FAO Freiston fan. I notice that there is a tribute to Roy Chubby Brown at Blackfriar on Sat 19th Sept. and a comedy club on Sat 28th Nov.

Shodfried

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
FAO Freiston fan. I notice that there is a tribute to Roy Chubby Brown at Blackfriar on Sat 19th Sept. and a comedy club on Sat 28th Nov.

How difficult is it to get a fat Geordie to stand up on stage, swear a lot and tell crap jokes?

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »
Chubby Brown was Geordie?  ???

Imp Stalker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
mackem i thought

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 04:14:40 PM »
He's from Middlesbrough, so technically a Yorkshireman!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
Redcar I believe, good luck if you want to claim that as Yorkshire ...  ;D

freiston fan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
Thanks Shoddy, I was talking to a Blackfriars member who told me that, im glad there is more great nights good value and usualy well attended, but crap beer and slow.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 12:35:48 PM »
That Volunteer is still required if anyone is interested!

Volunteer required to collect tickets at the door of The Pilgrim Lounge on Saturday Nights.
Time 7.00pm to 10.00pm
Remuneration will be neglible / negotiable with either myself (07946 748 333) or Bar Manager Ian Duck (01205 362967) ....but could consist of a few pints!