Author Topic: Bastock predicts promotion push Worksop Guardian  (Read 4570 times)

Shoddys Lane

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Bastock predicts promotion push Worksop Guardian
« on: June 01, 2012, 02:16:26 PM »
Published on Friday 1 June 2012 12:46

PAUL Bastock is not coming to Worksop Town to see out his final years in football at a more comfortable level – he wants to push for promotion.

The experienced keeper, 42, was released by Boston United in the Conference North at the end of the season.

And after two weeks of negotiations, agreed to join Simon Clark’s new-look squad at Sandy Lane.

The Boston legend, who made nearly 700 appearances for the Pilgrims, insists his new club will be at the top end of the league while his former club will be struggling.

Speaking to the Guardian the day after agreeing a deal with Worksop, he said: “The team will be pushing for something, Simon sold the club to me really well and I’ve got mates in the team so it was a no brainer.”

“Leaving Boston was a blessing, Boston fans will have seen my last season with them as a good season – I had plenty of Man of the Match awards and good memories.”

“With Worksop we’re going to be going for success, but I don’t feel Boston will be in any way, shape or form competing at the top end, I think they’ll be competing to stay in the division.”

“No one wants to go into a season where it looks like you’ll be struggling.”

The Evo-Stik Premier will be the lowest level Bastock has played at, after a career with clubs like Cambridge, Boston, Kettering, St Albans City and Rushden & Diamonds.

While his age may raise a few eyebrows in the club’s fanbase, he hasn’t lost any of the confidence that has made him a fan favourite in Lincolnshire.

“I’ve got the face of a 42-year-old and the body of a 32-year-old,” he said.

“I’m in good nick, and keepers like Kevin Poole and David James are a similar age – as long as you manage your body well you’re fine.”

“I don’t see that I’ve got any flaws, I’m still quick off my line. I had three managers from Conference level ringing me up at the end of the season asking about the situation at Boston.”

“I’m still brimming with confidence.”

That confidence and his colourful nature will make him a big character in the Tigers dressing room next season – something he feels will help the team on the pitch.

He said: “I think football is losing a lot of its characters, but if you have them in the dressing room you get a team spirit.”

“Simon and I are signing from the same hymn sheet. If you enjoy your football you’re going to do well so hopefully there will be plenty of banter.”

Bastock took advice from pals Lee Beeson and Ryan Clarke before agreeing to move to Sandy Lane, and the signing of high profile players like Leon Mettam also played a part in his decision.

“I’ve spoken to Lee and Clarkey and there are good teams in the league like FC United of Manchester, but Worksop have signed Metts – it’s a statement of their intent.”

“They’re not just getting players in from lower levels, they’re bringing in experience and quality.”

“The chairman wants to progress the club and hopefully we’ll be up there.”

Senny

• View Profile
Re: Bastock predicts promotion push Worksop Guardian
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »

“I don’t feel Boston will be in any way, shape or form competing at the top end, I think they’ll be competing to stay in the division.”

Blimey! He wouldn't be very welcome on this forum with several posters with comments like that!!

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 03:12:08 PM »
About 3/4 posters on here will love that statement Senny .

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »
I am surprised Bazza has made this comment about the club. I imagine the chairman is not very impressed with him.

I think Bazza has been one of our better keepers over the years, but quite frankly last year you could tell he was past his sell by date. Good stopper, but like dracula does not like crosses.

I think Haystead will be a better proposition.

I am sure most of you are not bothered, but after a lot of thought, I have decided to get a season ticket for next year. Reason -- despite what some of you think I am a genuine supporter, and will remain one, and economically it makes sense if you are going to go.

I will always support the team, but it does not mean I am happy with the manager and so far the lack of new players still concerns me.

I will try and be constructive in my comments, but if you dont like them --tough. This is still a forum where fans should have their view and not be slagged off because others dont happen to share them.

Bartmac

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:22:24 PM »
[quote

“I don’t see that I’ve got any flaws, I’m still quick off my line. unquote]

Quick off his line! at times last season he seemed tied to the goal posts :)

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
Bazza contradicts himself there... How can he state he didn't want to play for a club he expected to be in a relegation battle, that we will be, and tally that with the widely acknowledged fact he wanted to resign for us? I wouldn't take his article seriously, it either comes across as Bazza either being quite bitter, or being on a massive wind up.

Poros

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
He just has to try and win his new fans.

Finchley Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:51:49 PM »
He just has to try and win his new fans.

Spot on Poros, this was aimed at the Worksop audience.

As you can imagine many Worksop fans probably don't know who Bazza is and will be questioning why we have signed a 42 year old. Bazza needs to win them over and this is the first step.

I'm sure if he was being interviewed about his departure for the local Boston paper the tone would be totally different.

If the years haven't finally caught up with him I think he will be a very good signing for us. It's probably about 20 years since I first saw him play for you and he has gone on to be one of my favourite 'keepers over that period.

One posting on another thread did amuse me regarding his testimonial when one of your fans posted they thought Lee Beeson was the mascot at that game. Lee Beeson has just signed a one year contract with us!

Ed Kandi

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
I saw him in town, just after he was let go...he didn't look too happy  :-\
He'll always be a BUFC legend for me   8)

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »
Bazza would be better off keeping out of making comments about BUFC. It just sounds like sour grapes to me, about being released.
Our squad is looking good so far, and bringing in Haystead was a good move.
Bazza was indecisive and often got himself in trouble, that is an age thing I'm afraid.
Looking forward to next season, but not too soon, don't want to wish my life away. :D  :bunny