Author Topic: Should Lee and Cannovile be offered new deals?  (Read 27615 times)

Maxross

• View Profile
Re: Should Lee and Cannovile be offered new deals?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
Yes

A new manager with Non League experience will not guarantee success, just look around the world of football for plenty of examples. 

The second half of the season has seen major improvements although a lack of consistency at times.  They need to sign the majority of the current squad early and move on the weaker ones.  Then make 2 or 3 key signings of players at the prime of their careers to complement the young up and coming players and give the squad a little more depth.  If they do this I think we will put in a much stronger challenge next season. 

As others have suggested, the situation can be reviewed before Christmas. 

Having perservered this long it would be foolish to ditch them just as things are improving.

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
No. Things were bad, they improved and went bad again. Lessons were not learnt.

Tony A

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
YES from me, Jason and Lee are learning fast and we can't keep changing managers and going back to square one all the time.. Whatever we all think we can rely on Mr Newton to do his best for our club.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »
Can't decide, will back them with my all if they are to be managers.  We've played some good stuff at times this year, mainly on the road, which has been strange.  Can they pull a couple of big non league names out the hat to push us up a level?
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

O CHO MEALLT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
I'm another can't decide.I like Jase and Lee,i think they are both decent men who care a lot about BUFC,i'm just not sure they can bring in the quality of player we need.One thing is certain,we can't afford another summer like the last one.We need 3/4 quality signings,something to fire the fans imagination,or season ticket sales and attendances will suffer.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
Yes. Promising young set of managers. Decision should not be made on a 'how have they done' basis - that's only part of assessing how they might be expected to perform in the future, which is the real issue. And we really won't get anyone better.

The Chestnuts are astute and we are are relatively big club for this level, but in the four times the job has come up under them we've only once attracted candidates better than JL/LC, they're now at Grimsby and in all honesty their situation of having not been offered contracts by Ilkeston following promotion was a freak case. Even if you don't think they'll do very well next year, there's little grounds for thinking we'll attract anyone particularly better.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
A lot will depend on the summer, if we have another nightmare one and we start like we did this season then I dont think they'll last the season.

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 10:07:05 PM »
They do themselves no favours when they take off Spence. At Droylsden we had just equalised and Spence was terrifying them, What did they do but take him off and replace him with the young lad from Lincoln United, result? they score and we lose.
Today we get back into the game, what happens? Spence is replaced by Ryan Semple when it was clear that it should have been Newsham coming off. Sorry but decisions like these do not fill me with confidence.
Having said all that I was pleased by the second half effort, and must say that the young youth team lad looks a great prospect. Also well done to the faithful who sang from start to finish, great support.   

Mr Tickle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 10:10:24 PM »
After a lot of silent contemplation - No!

Joe65

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
I think it's quite a tricky decision, but you have to remember David Newton is better placed to make it than most of us.
He sees them behind-the-scenes, sees things we don't, how they work, how they conduct themselves etc, exactly what budget they are working with.

What I like about them is that they never complain about referees nor do they keep banging on about small budgets like some managers do.

In flashes, in the second half they've shown real potential. Also, many clubs have been rewarded by taking a long-term view and stuck with managers after unspectacular starts....on that basis I'm a YES for them.

dt woodhall

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »
It has to be no. This has been a very poor league this year.

If we had had a half decent side at the start of the year we would have been in the play offs, but lazy management cost us big time.

As I have said somewhere else on the patter I dont think DN has a choice. He is a hard headed business man who must know that if he keeps these two there will be little interest, low crowds, leading to very dangerous times. There must be lots of managers out there desperate for a chance to manage one of the better non league clubs. I know finance will always be a problem for us, but thats just current economics for everybody.

I will not be getting a season ticket if these managers are reappointed, and it seems I am definitly not the only one.

I considered myself a true fan, and will be bitterly disappointed and let down by DN if he does reappoint them.

Until the end of the season I would not put down details of who I think should be retained, but it would only be 6 of the current squad. I think we need at least 12 new players for next year. The sooner a new manager is appointed the better.

beefpilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
If pre seaon is anything like last seasons then I would have to say no.
It was dull and boring with very uninspiring sigings, not alot to get the mouth watering.

On the other hand maybe they should be given this season to impress but my main concern is that attendances will drop even more.

Would really like these two to be successful but with an apparent lack of contacts Im not so sure.

Overall perhaps they should be given till November to see what they can do.
A moaney clapper!......... best of both worlds

Bostonshire

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »
What about till jan, I still feel these 2 will have more to offer,

The current team i think next season if kept together is a top 8 team but no more.
At the begining of this season we had a team no better than lets just try and get a mid table place,
Over the summer could just see the couple of changes needed to turn that top 8 into a top 5 team.

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:56 PM »
Yes. We have the basis of a good team, as has been shown by the performances since the turn of the year.
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 08:45:18 PM »
Last season Southport were only saved from the BSN by the infamous so called  AGM CUP .
Calls for the managers (Liam Watson ) sacking was ignored by the chairman .
This season they,re challanging for the play-offs , same manager and many of the same players .
 Anyone not wanting to keep the present pair and not able to think of a replacement
might wish to consider the Eastwood manager for the job.