Author Topic: Should Lee and Cannovile be offered new deals?  (Read 27618 times)

woad_pilgrim

Re: Should Lee and Cannovile be offered new deals?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »
Yes. With a years experience and having learnt from some of the mistakes I think we'll see an improvement on this season, and tbh despite being poor for large parts we are not a million miles away from the play-offs so don't need much of an improvement. If things aren't going well it can be reviewed mid-season. It's a close call IMO though.

Tony Goor

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »
So far then, 15 yes, 7 no.

On reflection though, I believe they have had a "tricky" budget to work with, so make that 16.  YES

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
So far many of the yes voters have put a case to explain why they think the present managers should retain their jobs .   
It would be helpful for the NO cause if some one could give a outline of the attributes
they would look for in a new manager.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 10:09:59 PM »
I think it's quite a tricky decision, but you have to remember David Newton is better placed to make it than most of us.
He sees them behind-the-scenes, sees things we don't, how they work, how they conduct themselves etc, exactly what budget they are working with.

What I like about them is that they never complain about referees nor do they keep banging on about small budgets like some managers do.

In flashes, in the second half they've shown real potential. Also, many clubs have been rewarded by taking a long-term view and stuck with managers after unspectacular starts....on that basis I'm a YES for them.

After what has gone before, that may go against them.  A younger me couldn't abide Neil Thompson,  watching him stand arms folded while team after team tore us apart.  With 'him' and Scott we've got used to those that jump up and down and tout the media.  It creates an interest and hides us from those dull games where we are just not good enough.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

townender3385

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 10:11:55 PM »
no

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
Really do want to give them more time.  But...

Monday as an example, terrible then a great 'performance' to get us back in it.  But ultimately no points and nothing gained.

Go back to the original job spec, experience at this level was a key requirement and I think it still is and has been demonstrated this season more than ever.  A more experienced guy would have maybe not made the daft signings at the beginning, if he did then he would have changed it much sooner.

My view is not a 'we are bigger than this' or 'we deserve more as fans' etc. but simply we don't have a management team that gave me the confidence at the start of the season that they could deliver promotion and what has been put on results wise this season gives me no more confidence that next season will be any different.

Change it, managers need time granted BUT you should also know when to cut your losses.

It's a no.

John C

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 08:05:05 AM »
I think its a close call too and as Joe 65 says David Newton is going to have access to information we don't to make the choice so I'll back whatever he does.

There seems to be a consensus as to what type of players we need (experienced centre half, tackling midfielder, big centre forward) so I'd be asking Lee and Canoville who they were thinking of bringing in for these positions for the money we have and making a judgement on that.

My concern about getting rid is that I don't want to become a club that goes through managers all the time. Also who would come? Ideally you would want someone who would bring a few players (like S and H) and has done well in the BSN and the Evostick Premier. Does that restrict to a few fairly local teams? I've not looked but are there any outstanding candidates?

So its a yes for me, albeit with expectations that next season will be an improvement on this clearly laid down

Tash

• Veteran Member
  • BUFC
    • View Profile
    • Addisons
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
I think next year we will see another cut in the budget so options for a new manager/players will be limited so I think it's a yes from me. This could be our level for a few more seasons yet. At least we still have a team to support which is more than may be said for some poor buggers.
IWJLTSTSPFKARIADASICR

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 07:35:03 PM »
Really do want to give them more time.  But...

Monday as an example, terrible then a great 'performance' to get us back in it.  But ultimately no points and nothing gained.

I'm in the same boat, I'm not sure we can afford another year of nearly.  Some footballers are nearly footballers and some managers are the same.  Those that have it but just don't get that special mix.  S&H just seem to have an ability to turn things from defeat to win from nothing. I'm yet to see us take a game by the scruff of the neck and say, feck it we're gonna win this.  We've seen them find some decent players this year, but we're yet to see a decent team.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Mickey Nuttells Hair

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »
Exactly and another year of nearly is going to do what to the attendances and therefore budget? 

The possibility of a prolonged 'wilderness' period is only an apathetic season away...

optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
If the twos Lees didn't get offered new deals at the end of the season that would probably mean another summer of rebuilding with the new manager possibly bringing in his own players and ideas and if he didn't perform how fans wanted him to by reaching the play offs would that mean fans wanting another new manager?

York Street Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »

Do we have to offer them a deal for the whole of next season? Why not offer them a contract until Christmas, with a clause giving us the option of extending beyond that depending on league position. That would at least focus JL and LC on getting the summer signings right this time around.

For me, we've left it too late to completely change the manager now. If we were going to do it then we should have done it 3-4 weeks ago, giving any new appointment the opportunity to assess the squad before the end of the season and work out which players deserved a new deal. If we do it now and have no manager in place at the start of the summer, there'd be a real danger of our better players getting picked over by other clubs and we'd be playing catchup again.

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »
cannovile should be given a playing contract only. he is only 31 and has a couple of years left quite comfortably as a player.
during pre-season jason lee showed his lack of experience which resulted in the rest of this season being over before it even started. the only way to really judge if he has learnt anything is to give him another pre-season. i do not think bringing in another manager would bring promotion as the playing budget to compete with the likes of gainsborough and guiseley is not there. if jason lee has not learnt anything we could be facing relegation next season, with this season finishing as it is we could be only avoiding relegation by only 2,3 or 4 points this time.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
As I have said on another thread move Canners on .    Seems too injury prone to be kept on as a player .  Let Lee get an assistant with BSN experience .

wayne, york pilgrim

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
i doubt anyone with any experience would want to be jl's assistant.