Author Topic: that's it then  (Read 10459 times)

woad_pilgrim

Re: that's it then
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
As woad pilgrim states, quote  "Still like Stainsfield and Ward the managers are learning"    unquote .   And losing vital matches which will cost the club extra money it could get from getting the team to the play-offs.       I have quoted you correctly woad pilgrim, not like you did on my post , by stating I had said in my post I wanted to bring Old last pay check players into the squad, if you read my post correctly I said the squad needed two experienced players alongside our present players, that does not mean they need to be old, I call Ian Ross an experienced player, thats if you need the definition of old.
No your original point was that JL was signing mates etc.

You then changed it to we need "experienced players"

You are still saying we need an experienced player alongside them and then say Ian Ross is 1. I'm sure I'm not the only 1 that can see the contradiction in that post  :D :D :D

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »
You have qouted WP correctly ceamboy .  
What other way is there for young managers and players to learn the job ?
The fact is you can hire a highly paid manager , give him a big budget and still win nothing
sending the finances down the pan.

Sure you recall two years ago Ken you showed the same lack of faith in S&H .
Newton like other chairmen has to  pick managers who appear to have the potential to succed , give them time to learn the ropes and hope they deliver results .
That is unless anyone can give him a formula to pick a nailed on winner .

dubai camel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
That does seem to be pretty much that then ....

All in all a disappointing season thus far. Short of a miracle run in, that's pretty much our season over.

Think few will be happy - never really threatened to be a serious playoff contender at any point. And with a loyal following of over 1000 supporters I think we could have expected more. Many a poor performance with no real run put together at any point to suggest any real improvement has been made. Realistic ambition would have put us top six at the beginning of the season. There is a danger that mid table mediocre could become acceptable.

Whether we stay with the present management team is a open for much debate, some positives plenty of negatives.

Interesting off season ahead .....

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

All in all a disappointing season thus far. Short of a miracle run in, that's pretty much our season over.

Think few will be happy - never really threatened to be a serious playoff contender at any point. And with a loyal following of over 1000 supporters I think we could have expected more. Many a poor performance with no real run put together at any point to suggest any real improvement has been made. Realistic ambition would have put us top six at the beginning of the season. There is a danger that mid table mediocre could become acceptable.

Whether we stay with the present management team is a open for much debate, some positives plenty of negatives.

Excellent points well made....whether the club wants to push on that extra mile is open to debate, personally I think anything short of a minimum play off berth is selling the loyal and generous support well short.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 08:10:24 PM »

Excellent points well made....whether the club wants to push on that extra mile is open to debate, personally I think anything short of a minimum play off berth is selling the loyal and generous support well short.

Its not whether they want to, of course they do, its just a matter of whether they can. Every club in the country is looking for that someone who can put a promotion winning team together on very little money.

Carl Newell

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »
The loyal support was down to 800 odd tonight disappointing after recent performances and good weather, obviously the champions league and fa cup games took their toll though.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:11 PM »
No Carl, the fact is the support has been let down time after time by a very average side this season and 300+ regulars have had enough of the same old failings. Its a carbon copy of the Tommy Taylor era where the same mistakes are made and lessons are not being learned.

Come on Utd, show the faithful you're serious about promotion or 841 gates will the norm, not the exception.

green hats mate

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
Get in Newtons office in the morning N/F and tell him how to go that extra mile .

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »

I agree it's been a disappointing season but not sure what games you've been watching if you don't think the side has improved since the season started.

Also don't get how "there is a danger that mid table mediocre could become acceptable". A promotion winning season followed by a play-off defeat last year, now one season at mid-table and it's becoming acceptable? To who  ???

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
I think what DC is alluding to is the possibility that this could be the start of a prolonged period of mediocrity, a lot of us were around in the 80's and 90's where 2nd best was always good enough. No one wants a return to those days.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 08:30:06 AM »
Surely consolidating ready for another push was always the aim, therefore the season has been a relative success in terms of not having a appalling collapse after the break up of what was a very good side.

It's just strange for the season to peeter out to nothing, we're not used to it, we've had 15 years of racing up and down divisions where we've been scrapping for our lives or pushing for the top.

It's not about accepting mediocrity, it's about the fact that we can't have it all our way every year.  Flirting with the playoffs for a few years and then being ready for promotion by slowly building (and not boom/bust) is the formula we should aim for.  Keep it interesting each season, but without the risks involved in a massive push.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

Ferret

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »
No Carl, the fact is the support has been let down time after time by a very average side this season and 300+ regulars have had enough of the same old failings. Its a carbon copy of the Tommy Taylor era where the same mistakes are made and lessons are not being learned.

Come on Utd, show the faithful you're serious about promotion or 841 gates will the norm, not the exception.

...or it was a rearranged mid week evening game that those of us who live outside Lincolnshire, work shifts etc .....or perhaps those who couldn't get child sitters struggle to get to   Stop assuming that your views (fact?) on the world must be assumed by other people.

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »
We'll see a week on Saturday how many have given up for the season, midweeks are tricky for a lot of us but I doubt we'll see 1000+ in again this season, unless Grimity surprise me!

oxo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »
I was one of those that thought Tom Ward had a poor game at Droylsden and said so on here. I also said that subbing Spence was an unbelievable decision by our managers. However, smacking Toms wrist by dropping him and bringing in Austin was yet another error, as it meant Stainfield moving to accommodate him and causing an imbalance at the back. Poor decision making. Also, two penalties by Newsh only covered up his three unbelievable misses in the last two games.
Very disappointing but will be there for rest of the season where I hope to see some positive planning for next season.

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
Putting Austin in was correct, maybe right footed Ward should have partnered him. Two left footed centre backs didn't help the balance of the team.
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.