Author Topic: Drugs, crime and Ashton United  (Read 6483 times)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Drugs, crime and Ashton United
« on: August 30, 2009, 07:16:21 PM »

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but I watched a fly-on-the-wall police TV documentary earlier today which showed a drugs raid in Greater Manchester. As the police were breaking down the door at the front of the property, the cameras panned across the road. A big sign stating "Welcome to Hurst Cross" came into view.

So we now know that you can buy illegal drugs directly opposite Ashton United Football Club!

Fortunately Boston don't go to Ashton again until February. But generally those people with drug problems get involved in crime to fund their habits. And it doesn't take a genius to work out that (a) a BUFC car sticker or a sticker with "so-and-so garage" of Boston will belong to people who are attending a match, (b) that the same car will remain unattended until after the final whistle, and (c) that in all probability it may contain a sat nav or similar gadgets.

All of this brings home the basic crime prevention sense to make sure everything is out of view, etc., etc., and perhaps to park a little further away from the ground and walk to it.

Unibond League fans are a friendly bunch and there's hardly ever any trouble inside grounds. But is there perhaps an argument for having stewards patrolling outside of grounds and looking after vehicles whilst matches are in progress?

The documentary pixelated the faces of the criminals involved so that they couldn't be identified. Presumably that's due to their human rights. But shouldn't Ashton United have more rights not to be identified?

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
  • I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs, crime and Ashton United
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:27:55 PM »

Not sure if anyone else saw it, but I watched a fly-on-the-wall police TV documentary earlier today which showed a drugs raid in Greater Manchester. As the police were breaking down the door at the front of the property, the cameras panned across the road. A big sign stating "Welcome to Hurst Cross" came into view.

So we now know that you can buy illegal drugs directly opposite Ashton United Football Club!

Fortunately Boston don't go to Ashton again until February. But generally those people with drug problems get involved in crime to fund their habits. And it doesn't take a genius to work out that (a) a BUFC car sticker or a sticker with "so-and-so garage" of Boston will belong to people who are attending a match, (b) that the same car will remain unattended until after the final whistle, and (c) that in all probability it may contain a sat nav or similar gadgets.

All of this brings home the basic crime prevention sense to make sure everything is out of view, etc., etc., and perhaps to park a little further away from the ground and walk to it.

Unibond League fans are a friendly bunch and there's hardly ever any trouble inside grounds. But is there perhaps an argument for having stewards patrolling outside of grounds and looking after vehicles whilst matches are in progress?

The documentary pixelated the faces of the criminals involved so that they couldn't be identified. Presumably that's due to their human rights. But shouldn't Ashton United have more rights not to be identified?

Did you not go to Ashton last year? There was more than just one house I'd imagine. Some of the area around the ground was very much akin to something out of Shameless
So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by.
Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky.

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:40:19 PM »

Did you not go to Ashton last year? There was more than just one house I'd imagine. Some of the area around the ground was very much akin to something out of Shameless

Especially with Manure vs Liverpool on Sky!!

I remember feeling slightly uncomfortable in the "pub" when Gerrard scored and kissed the camera!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:46:18 PM »
Make Poverty History, Cheaper drugs now.

Hmm, there was also the moment that I said...

"what a finish" under my breath when Torres scored and dark clouds gathered overhead. 

truffleshuffle

• Everyday I'm truffling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »

"what a finish" under my breath when Torres scored and dark clouds gathered overhead. 

It wasn't the dark clouds rather the bottles of stella that were flying that worried me!!!

Lord Cutler Knobhead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:28:53 PM »

It wasn't the dark clouds rather the bottles of stella that were flying that worried me!!!

Just a thought, but the guy in the photo will be turning out for us if we don't stop winning soon!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »

Especially with Manure vs Liverpool on Sky!!

I remember feeling slightly uncomfortable in the "pub" when Gerrard scored and kissed the camera!
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 07:27:38 AM »

I did indeed go to Ashton last year, and yes there were several houses in the area. But the one on TV was directly opposite the turnstyles and will no doubt be identifiable via the battering ram indentations on its door frame.

To be honest I didn't get the vibe at the time that the area around Ashton's ground was dodgy. Some of those back streets around Leigh Genesis on the other hand .....

sshh u no hoo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:31 AM »
I understand the point made, but surely no-one is gullible enough to think that just because a house where filth is peddaled is raided right next to the football club that the two share any link.
A snap shot showing the ground next door, doesn't promote the best PR I agree, but it certainly wouldn't put any untoward seeds in my mind

Its like saying that Hamza was his name? the hook clawed, looney muslem fundamentalist who preached such bile and filth at his mosque at Finsbury park, no more than a spit away from the best ground in the Uk had any connection with the great Arsenal constitution
 ;D

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »

Of course Ashton United FC is not linked to the goings on of houses next door.

But the street and the immediate area are linked to both football supporters' cars and drug users. Which would be a concern to anyone driving to a match up there.

Maxross

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 12:07:31 PM »
I understand the point made, but surely no-one is gullible enough to think that just because a house where filth is peddaled is raided right next to the football club that the two share any link.
A snap shot showing the ground next door, doesn't promote the best PR I agree, but it certainly wouldn't put any untoward seeds in my mind

Its like saying that Hamza was his name? the hook clawed, looney muslem fundamentalist who preached such bile and filth at his mosque at Finsbury park, no more than a spit away from the best ground in the Uk had any connection with the great Arsenal constitution
 ;D

Well now you mention it.... Osama Bin Laden is rumoured to have attended several Arsenal fixtures during the mid ninties!  Never been proven though.

EDIT:  Heres a link to a BBC article on the subject: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/1650069.stm
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:12:50 PM by Maxross »