Author Topic: Worcester Match Thread  (Read 2681 times)

Keynsham Pilgrim

• View Profile
Worcester Match Thread
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
So our forthcoming away adventure takes us the first of the two in the South(ish) West and thus my first away game of the season.  Terrible I know.

Weather looks good in Cardiff today so hopeful for a good game and 3 points to add to two good performances in the last couple.

Trains are a touch tight getting there but time on the way back so anyone fancy a post match pint then hunt me down at the ground or DM me on here.

porl99

• View Profile
Re: Worcester Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »
Commentary from BBC Hereford and Worcester:    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17210233

Tipps End Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
  • Get Off My Land ! ....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
I'm not going to get carried away about it but we were rubbish today. Ward and Stainfield were made to look ordinary and more perhaps like the age / experience they really are / have. We really missed SWD's enterprise up front (where was he ?) and the midfield lacked bite and were never in control of the game.

That's three visits to Worcester for me and no victories. Hopefully we can get back on track next week but that's definitley season over now.

DL

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
We were very poor today. Started off quite brightly and their keeper made a great save at 0-0 from a Ben Fairclough header, still not sure how it didn't go in. Might have been a different game had it done.

Worcester scored against the run of play with their first real chance, poor defending from a racking free kick. Second goal was again from a free kick and poor defending again. That was about it for chances first half, we where second best but think we where slightly unlucky to be 2 down going into half time. Worcester where causing us most of our problems with long balls either down the middle or to either flank. They also won the midfield battle.

Second half they scored early, from our end looked like a pen but wasn't really close enough to be certain. From then on we took a right battering and somehow courtesy of Bazza, poor finishing and a fair bit of luck we kept the score down to 3. After 20 mins of that Austin was brought on and his experience calmed the back line down and we didn't really look threatened from then on but the damage was done. Sleath forced a good save from their keeper and Newsh flashed one wide that he should of put away and that was that.

One of the worst performances of the season, not moaning just stating a fact. Defence looked exposed all game, the ball players in midfield where constantly harassed and pressed and lost out on countless 50/50 balls and where forced into numerous misplaced passes. Forward line  didn't have much of a sniff, though Kirk was one of our better performers in a forgettable day.

Worcester where worthy winners and that puts an end to any remote hopes we had of making 5th spot. I think this team has the making of a very good team though and I think we should be trying to get the players we want for next season to commit between now and the end of the season to prevent having to fill the squad with makeweights like this pre-season.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
I'm not going to get carried away about it but we were rubbish today. Ward and Stainfield were made to look ordinary and more perhaps like the age / experience they really are / have. We really missed SWD's enterprise up front (where was he ?) and the midfield lacked bite and were never in control of the game.

That's three visits to Worcester for me and no victories. Hopefully we can get back on track next week but that's definitley season over now.

DL
Yep 3 visits and 3 defeats for me. It's our annual defeat to go with the annual defeat at Bower Fold, Stalybridge. Was expecting to lose before the game so not really shocked  :(