Author Topic: Eduardo diving implications  (Read 9277 times)

sshh u no hoo

• View Profile
Eduardo diving implications
« on: August 29, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »
Won't mean much to us at our level that's for sure, but surely the implications of UEFA charging Eduardo for diving/cheating is the most idioticly dangerous move they have ever done

I dont think anyone can argue that the player dived for his penalty, and if the referee had seen it, he would have beeen rightly booked for doping so

But this goes far above this. The implications of this charge, and more so if he as looks likely gets found guilty,opens up the right, certainly the live possibility of every manager to surely appeal every decision taken by a referee in every game in the future.

The game is being ruined by diving, and being an Arsenal supporter, I really don't know where I sit pn this one.
It was dive, and dont have a problem with him being charged, but I genuinely worry for the future of the game if by setting such a mad precedent UEFA could if not be ruining the game, changing the face of it for ever 

Woe betide UEFA if somone dives in the future, someone rasies their hands, kicks someone off the ball, in fact breaks any rule and they dont act in the same manner, managers and clubs will go barmy

Is this a right or wrong decision?.....Where will it take football?

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eduardo diving implications
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:50:24 AM »
Lee Trundle must be watching developments closely.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »
He cheated, he may well get punished. I don't think him or Wenger can have too many complaints.

The problem will come from UEFA if/ when Ronaldo or whoever else does it in the main competition. They've sent out a message saying they're going to toughen up on diving, which, provided they do consistently, is great. I don't have much confidence that they will do so though.

Bob Lee

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »
Ban him for life ;D  And it has nothing to do with me being a Celtic supporter ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Johnny Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »
...Ban him fof life........And that statement has nothing to do with me being a THFC fan.............

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »
Personally  I think you leave it to the referees or you'll have intervention creeping into every level and every missed decision /off the ball incident. Lets face it there have been worse and it was a dive.  The media today are carrying several instances including Rooney and no fuss was made then why... because no Jock was involved against an "English" (in the loosest term) club.

Sussex Pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »
"English" (in the loosest term) club.

Only club in the top four to have an English board (indeed a number of them are Londeners as well).

I know my lad likes them as well but you can hardly claim a token English or three in the first team squad and make it an English team, then again same for any of the top four.

jms

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
A suggestion I quite liked the sound of from another website was that the ref asks the player if he did dive.

If the player admits he did, the other team gets a freekick and nothing more is done about it.

If the player says he didn't dive, the referee gives the penalty/free kick, but it gets sent for review after the game. If the player is innocent then it's all good but if it turns out he did dive he should get absolutely nailed by UEFA/FIFA/The FA with a huge fine and ban.

This way, at least the player is given a few seconds to think about what they've done and admit what they've done, knowing that if they have cheated that they're going to get a severe punishment for it.

Seenbetter

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:37:58 AM »
What is the difference between a footballer and a rugby player ? Not a joke but a real question. Is it the type of person. Perhaps the question should be , what is the difference between rugby and football?. Does the amount of money involved in football mean that a team must win at any cost or that the player is so greedy that he will do anything to get wealthy. My personal view on this is that the main difference is DISCIPLINE. Do you see the rugby player argue with the ref about his decisions; very very rarely. When a rugby player is sent to the sin bin does he go and sulk or cry, not likely. The refs decision is final.
If the ref in football would stand up against the bullying tactics of players perhaps it would change things. I may be a bit strict personally but if I were a ref and a player ran over to me and started argueing over a decision He would get a yellow card right in his face and if he persisted he would get a red card in his face. How long do you think it would take for footballers to get the message that trying to intimidate the ref does not pay. Perhaps such a change in discipline might even help, encourage and even educate refs into becoming better at their job. Sort out the discipline and I think the game would be better for it.
The overall standard of refereeing at our level is crap. The linesmen should have more confidence to raise their flags when they witness infringements. The officials are their own worst enemy because it is not the game they should be taking control but the players. Get control of the players and the game will sort itself out. Off to get ready now, got a match to go and see, a great team and great managers to support (Boston United of course) and a ref to shout at.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:29 AM »
Do footballers take fake blood capsules?  :D

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:26 AM »
What is the difference between a footballer and a rugby player ? Not a joke but a real question. Is it the type of person. Perhaps the question should be , what is the difference between rugby and football?. Does the amount of money involved in football mean that a team must win at any cost or that the player is so greedy that he will do anything to get wealthy. My personal view on this is that the main difference is DISCIPLINE entertainment.

sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »

To many foreigners in the English game. This kind of behaviour is rife and is seen
    week in week out on the Continent and South America....................
Simplicity is Genious...... Never touch an Electrician with no eyebrows.

deano

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »
man uniteds penalty against arsenal didnt look much worse to me than eduardos for arsenal but i see nothing has been said or mentioned about it.

Stumpie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
I think its pretty obvious...
If they maintain consistency for the bans and fines it will work..
If they don't, it won't.

BostonGoals

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
man uniteds penalty against arsenal didnt look much worse to me than eduardos for arsenal but i see nothing has been said or mentioned about it.

It wasnt a dive but i dont think they should give a penalty when Rooney kicked the ball miles and was never going to score