Author Topic: Great performance  (Read 9542 times)

wilko559

• View Profile
Great performance
« on: February 07, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »
Brillient performance but unfortunate loss :'(

Crazy Neil

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Great performance
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »
Have to agree,well played lads ...

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
Through the wonders of a Llandudno hotel room with wi-fi, here is my take on tonight's match...

We were a bit unlucky not to earn at least a point from tonight's match.

We were comfortably the best side from kick-off and Danny Sleath put us into a deserved lead with an angled drive from just outside the area. For the remainder of the half Colwyn Bay looked stronger, but Bastock pulled off some good saves to keep us in front.

Colwyn equalised with a very similar goal to our own, but we showed good character in restoring the lead very soon afterwards through a well-taken Marc Newsham effort.

Colwyn equalised again with a strike that we would struggled to have kept out if we'd had three goalkeepers in goal. It was unstoppable.

The defining moment came five minutes from time when Leon Constantine, on as a sub for Ben Fairclough, somehow headed the ball wide of an open goal from three yards out. The goalkeeper was sat on his backside and it really looked easier to score than to miss. You can make excuses - he hadn't been on the pitch that long, the chance came quickly, etc., but really it was a Gordon Smith / Ronnie Rosenthal type of miss. Constantine simply had to score.

After that, Colwyn Bay went up the other end and scored with another thunderbolt that again was simply unstoppable. Nine times out of ten at this level that type of effort would be flying into the car park. But tonight it found the top corner.

Plenty of effort and no shame in defeat tonight. Colwyn are a good side who are in form currently and had kept five consecutive clean sheets prior to tonight.  But we caused them plenty of problems and did dserve something from the game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:26:10 PM by leicester pilgrim »

Fairfax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »
According to Craig, the wonderful Colwyn Bay physio called down a Welsh blessing on the return journey, wishing them a breakdown along the way. I believe that he was the orchestrator of the debacle at York Street.

As this chap is obviously the fount of all benevolence emanating from that part of the world, I think we should take any and every opportunity to spread the message of his kindness wherever we travel in the future. Maybe the FA of Wales may come to hear of his behaviour and offer some sort of reward for his amicability. Perhaps a lifetime ban from football would be appropriate!

Pilgrim86

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »
We played some wonderful passing football tonight, to be beaten by two great strikes. Constantine should have scored, however he was at an acute angel, and I think the keeper got a touch. LC could have taken a touch himself, and poked home.

SWD should have made it 2-0 before HT, too.

The last 3 games, we have played some good stuff - got to keep it up!

*Posted from a Chester Travelodge*
I create YouTube videos (BUFC/FM/CM 01-02), and stream Football Manager on Twitch as BostonUnitedFM.

http://bufm.co.uk/

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
  • Making a stand against apologists since 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »
Dress it up as much as you like, we still lost.

Seems like the same old story of creating plenty, not taking our chances and defensive failings.

The official site uses the term 'plucky'...........you'd think we'd lost a cup tie to a team 2 divisions higher, not a glorified village team, what was the gate, 250 odd? Thats one point we've taken off a club who's average gate is about 4 times lower than ours.....plucky? I'd call that shameful.

The season was a write off from the moment we lined up with the likes of JJ,Suarez,Stones,Hall and Fairclough, I can only hope for everyones sakes the management have learned their lesson (recent signs are positive to be fair) or a repeat of this seasons results next season will see a further decline in interest and our gates in regular 3 figures.

wilko559

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:34 AM »
We can keep our heads held high

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:07:43 AM »
We can keep our heads held high

Thats the spirit........ ::)

leicester pilgrim

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »

Couple of random spots from the Colwyn Bay matchday programme:-

(1) Their away travel page is advertising coach seats for their trip to Frickley on 12th February. But as (i) Colwyn don't have a game on 12th February, and (ii) Frickley aren't even in the same league, I casn only assume they're taking their fans on a sight-seeing tour of the South Elmsall slag heaps?

(2) I know their game against Bishop's Stortford was postponed on Saturday, but had it gone ahead Colwyn would have been in the position of playing four consecutive home league games. And we were told we would have an unfair advantage a few seasons back if we switched our home and away fixtures with Nantwich? Different leagues, I know, but it is the same sport and it smacks of double standards. Isn't it about time the FA took a grip of all the leagues and made them act consistently?

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »
It sounds like a good performance but to some extent I agree with NF. Some of the words used in United Live, the onsite report and tweets from Craig were a bit over the top. I admire everything he does as part of his job but he can be a bit of an old woman and over dramatic, can't he?

"Plucky", "heartbreak", "absolutely gutted" etc - it's as though we had lost a Champions League Semi Final or equivalent. We lost a league game (that I pretty much expected us to, hence my over pessimistic prediction of 3-0 to Colwyn Bay) against a side above us on a great unbeaten run. Colwyn Bay clearly showed great character to fight back and win it, taking their chances when they needed to. Yes, their long range efforts would normally go miles over the bar in Blue Square North but they didn't - and I would hardly say it is heartbreaking that they did. Unless it had resulted in our relegation or missing out on promotion.

We're a mid table side this season and mid table sides tend not to hold on to leads like that. It certainly sounds like the recent encouraging performances are continuing however, which is a good sign for the game against Worcester at the weekend. But win or lose, I'll be neither ecstatic nor "absolutely gutted" as this season is just all about mid table mediocrity now.

cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:03:19 AM »
Personally I am gutted every time we lose and ecstatic every time we win ...I would have thought Craig being the supporter he is ....and after travelling for 6 hours yesterday was absolutely gutted ...along with everyone else (including the players) who made the ridiculous midweek trip to North Wales!

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
Very reasonable points Cookie - to be fair, I was like that last season and the season before, but just can't seem to get as disappointed or cheerful anymore. I hope my overriding 'love' that has been there for the majority of the last 30 years will return soon!

noughtyforties

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »
We all get a bit pi$$ed off when we lose but like Senny I've got to the point this season where I'm expecting to be let down on a regular basis. And long as lessons are learnt and there's significant improvement for the rest of the season its a case of taking it on the chin and moving on.

Its only a game, in the grand scheme of things its pretty insignificant.

woad_pilgrim

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:40 AM »
Agree with Cookie, I'm gutted every time we lose and some of the performances this season have been lacking but last night wasn't one of those.

As someone who was at the game we where very unfortunate not to take a point out the game we deserved. The football we played was superb at times and we now look like we'll score every time we go forward, the movement of the front 3 pulled defenders all over the place and created lots of space and we could/should of got at least a couple more. If there was to be any criticism defensively we where a bit fragile but Colwyn's second and third where unstoppable 25-30 yarders so can't really criticise for conceding those 2 although they missed 2 or 3 much easier chances earlier in the game.

A great game of football by both teams, if we continue to play football like that we'll win more than we lose.

Senny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
I'm expecting to be let down on a regular basis.

Its only a game, in the grand scheme of things its pretty insignificant.

Yeah, they were the main points I was trying to get across in my original post, but I usually fail to explain myself properly!